Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steering wheel vibrations

Jonanstee

My steering wheel is vibrating a lot recently. It mainly happens when I accelerate at 50mph+ 

when I last had a mechanic drive me car I was advised my front ball joints and rear far side bearings are going.

would this be happening due to the ball joints or bearing? And if not then what could be causing it? 

Sometimes I can feel the vibrations on the pedals and floor too 

Jack the car up and check for free play in the lower swivels and track rod ends. If both are ok I suggest that you get your wheels balanced and then take things from there.

i`d get the wheel balance checked 1st, it don`t cost anything for a tyre place to check them for you :smile:

Wheel balancing is a good idea as bad roads can upset the wheels somthing wrotten and i remember having alot of vibration on the front wheels of one of my previous cars and as it turned out the issue was warped brake discs although partially sticking brakes can also cause the feel of vibration but any way start off with the wheel balancing 1st and then as Proautocare said ,

22 minutes ago, Proautocare said:

Jack the car up and check for free play in the lower swivels and track rod ends. If both are ok I suggest that you get your wheels balanced and then take things from there.

+1 For wheel balancing.

To be honest it could be a number of things but getting the wheels balanced would be the cheapest and easiest diangosis to try first. Most places charge roughly a fiver per wheel to be balanced.

The symptoms do sound very like a balancing issue so that might be all it is.

I would agree with everyone else, if the vibration still carries on I would look at the tracking as well

If it's doing it when (mostly) accelerating, then a worn CV joint may also do it.

More likely to be wheel / bush related but just another option should they be fine.

Balancing I would do 1st

as they is speed related sometime 60mph higher or lower/higher dependent on wheel size/width alloy steel etc

if balancing needs doing (lead weights) normally £5 wheel

Mine was bad around 50-70mph, It was the balancing.