Do Not Sell My Personal Information

AC Cleaning

laberge86

Can anyone reccommend a good way of cleaning the air conditioning in a Mk2 Focus. Sometimes get a funny smell when its on

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I believe that Halfords sell a cleaner for air cons but never used it myself 

I was looking at it. I was also going to replace the cabin/pollen filter as well, may get rid of the smell

try eBay for wurth air con spray with a pipe to poke down the vents. its the only one over the years of using them that ive found that works to eliminate bacterial smell. also check your pollen filter if it hasnt been replaced in the last 12 months.

The only trouble with shoving a pipe down the air vents questions where does all that moisture end up as I have since found out.

Pollen filter sounds a good option.

1 hour ago, laberge86 said:

Can anyone reccommend a good way of cleaning the air conditioning in a Mk2 Focus. Sometimes get a funny smell when its on

pollen filter change 1st (gotta remove the glovebox and bracket to get to it on the mk2 focus) ,  then pop over to eBay and grab a few of these and your car will soon smell brand new again :w00t:

eBay item number:310330753638 (air-con cleaners)

eBay item number:322392534888 (pollen filter)

it soon drys up, the procedure is to squirt the anti baterial spray down the vents which makes its way further into the heater pipework, the engine on and fan on high leave on recirc , close doorsvand leave a while. then put on fresh air to clear the spray smell. ive used wurth on air con serving for many years with good results. not the cheapest. you can get cheaper which you set off in passenger footwell and have fan on recirc, that makes car smell nice for a while but doesnt really get the bacteria killed off.

34 minutes ago, iantt said:

try ebay for wurth air con spray with a pipe to poke down the vents. its the only one over the years of using them that ive found that works to eliminate bacterial smell. also check your pollen filter if it hasnt been replaced in the last 12 months.

i only ever tried them cleaners with the pipe once and was a nightmare, after spraying the foam into the vents, left it until the following day popped on the fan vents and got soaked with the foam left in the pipes :sad: as it blew out. so i  use the good old air-con bombs ever since. cannot belive ford charge £19 to do the 10min job lol

9 hours ago, TangoDaz said:

I believe that Halfords sell a cleaner for air cons but never used it myself 

I've tried the Halfords one and from past experience the smell came back within a month or so.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Commencal24 said:

I've tried the Halfords one and from past experience the smell came back within a month or so.

did you change the pollen filter ?

You know what, it was that long ago I can't remember 🙈

1 minute ago, Commencal24 said:

You know what, it was that long ago I can't remember 🙈

:w00t: time to change it again then lol :rolleyes:

16 minutes ago, andypsp said:

:w00t: time to change it again then lol :rolleyes:

That cars long gone, some other poor person has that smell to contend with 😂

Where the pollen filter is located is where the evaporator is. This is what makes the smell. Get the evaporator cleaner with a spray or a pipe on  it, take out the pollen filter then spray inside the hole but towards your gear stick as the evaporator is facing that way. Then leave for half an hour for it to do it's business. Then replace with new pollen filter and your good to go. 

• Like 3