Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wobble under acceleration

si5000

I have a 2007 Ford C-Max 2.0 petrol Automatic.

It has a wobble but only on acceleration. You feel it through both the accelerator pedal and through your feet from either of the front seats. As you ease off the throttle the wobble goes away and the car will cruise along nicely. This leads me to think it's something possibly drive train related..?

So far we've tried the following through two different garages who have not been able to solve the problem:

4x wheels balanced

4x wheels aligned / tracked

4x new tyres

Wheels swapped front to back

2x new driveshafts (offside and nearside both had play in them) and CV joints

2x new front wishbones (rear bushes were failing)

2x new differential bearings (gearbox was removed and checked over and given clean bill of health after new bearings).

2x new mounts (1x upper engine mount, 1x lower gearbox mount)

Having now spent a fortune trying to repair this car I'm now at breaking point.  I can't afford to keep throwing money at something we can't seem to fix. Any other final thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

I would suggest you check carefully to see if the shake is vertical or horizontal. If it's vertical it could be tyres, try changing front to rear. If it's horizontal then in MHO check the drive shafts as below.

I used to have a Galaxy with this problem. On hard acceleration you could feel the front of the car shaking side to side and it was the N/S inner driveshaft coupling either worn or seizing, the joint wasn't allowing the bearings to move freely in the cups and locking up. The wheel can't move so it shook the transmission/engine side to side on the mountings (can happen on any front wheel drive car). Trying to save money I bought a pair of brand new drive shafts (£30 each instead of several hundreds from Mr Ford) and still had the same problem. It turned out that the driveshaft was too long. Bought another drive shaft from a different supplier and fitted it and problem cured.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Peter (newbie)

• 3 months later...

Try mashing the gas pedal down, see if the wobbling goes away when it downshifts.  

If the answer is "yes" then you've got bad spark plugs, which I would expect on a 10 year old car.  Just replace them, and the problem should go away.  No one ever thinks of the spark plugs anymore since they last so long these days.  

• 1 year later...
On 7/7/2017 at 7:26 PM, p38fln said:

Try mashing the gas pedal down, see if the wobbling goes away when it downshifts.  

If the answer is "yes" then you've got bad spark plugs, which I would expect on a 10 year old car.  Just replace them, and the problem should go away.  No one ever thinks of the spark plugs anymore since they last so long these days.  

Did this work ? I have the same issue, tried everything including spark plugs but still the issue remains . My mechanic says it’s the pressure plate in the auto box (also another symptom is darting forward and back with light press of accelerator)  - the car is not worth a gearbox overhaul. Car is on 70k 56 plate 2.0 petrol auto Ghia. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club