Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus failed MOT on Emissions - Advice please?

phillwilson

Hi everyone,

I have an X reg Ford Focus Petrol, it was bought in a pinch and has been used for a year, in that time I have only topped up but not changed oil, filters, plugs

Today it has failed on emissions in a big way, as you can see below... I am wondering, will DIY stuff be enough to get these figures below the set limits or do you think there is somethine more at play??

I was considering changing Spark Plugs, oil and Air Filter, but don't know if that's enough... would appreciate any input.

fast idle

Engine speed = Manual Check 2450

co 1.28 vs 0.20

hc 369 vs 200

lambda 1.101 vs 1.030

2nd fast idle

Engine speed = Manual Check 2450

Co 1.21

Hc 440

Lambda 1.091

idle at 625

co 1.33 vs 0.30

What do you guys think...any tricks to get it through one last time or would I just be throwing good money after bad?

thanks for your time

Try putting in a dose of Redex and running it through for a week

Give it some love fresh oil & filter, air filter and sparkies, try something like redex and give it a blast. If it still fails you're looking down the carbon cleaning (Terraclean) route approx £100 but worth it.

It's running slightly lean, and cat isn't doing its job.

thanks for all the advice so far..

I'm afraid I am not very mechanically minded.. could you please tell me more about what

"It's running slightly lean, and cat isn't doing its job. " could mean in my case...

do you mean that the actual cat could be too far gone to save with just the smaller work I had outlined? ( oil / filter/ plugs)

thanks

Phill

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club