Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sat nav saying "No GPS" 2011 Focus

DaveRushton

Afternoon :)

My 2011 (Mk3) Focus has now started saying "No GPS" on the screen, anyone have any ideas what may be causing this?

I have seen a few threads about the aerial being corroded, so i may have to take this apart.

For the first check i reseated all the cables in the back of the stereo but this didnt help.

Every now and then it will start working again, just getting annoying now however.

I did buy this but even when plugged directly into the back of the stereo i have the same issue.

Starting to lose the will to live now with this, any ideas?

Cheers

This is a known problem of many Ford models including the Focus MK3. The GPS antenna is integrated into the aerial base on top of the roof. As a result of water ingress the components of the GPS antenna corrode and the GPS antenna stops working. Because the aerial base is a sealed non serviceable part it needs to be replaced completely.   

There are basically two different solutions for the problem. The first solution is installing a new original aerial base. The part alone costs approximately €80,-. However there is a (relative large) risk that the new GPS antenna develops the same problem within a few years.

The second much cheaper solution is installing an aftermarket GPS antenna with a blue Fakra connector. These antennas can be found on eBay from about €6,- including P&P. These aftermarket antennas can be installed behind the passenger side A-pillar cover. Because this type of antenna is installed inside the vehicle you will never have the water ingress problem again. I use an aftermarket €6,- GPS antenna for over 2 years now without any problems. the GPS reception is the same (possibly even better) than the GPS reception of the original GPS antenna.

Check the map SD card is pressed fully in!

Just to give an update on this,

reseated everything - not working,

used a new fakra aerial - Not working

Swore lots - Not working

Unplugged battery as i was really annoyed - Fixed :D

God knows why its now working but it is :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

And the issue is back :(

i did try an after market fakra one but it still said No GPS which makes me think maybe the headunit?

Basically the headunit (audio unit) has nothing to do with the GPS. On the Focus MK3 the GPS functionality is fully integrated into the FCDIM module (display). the FCDIM is a standalone CANbus module that communicates with other modules like for example the audio unit, Bluetooth/Voicecontrol or APIM (SYNC) module and the PDC module. 

No GPS reception can be caused by a defective FCDIM. This is however pretty rare. If the FCDIM turns out to be defective your best option is to install a used one from eBay or a local scrap yard. A new 5 inch Sat Nav FCDIM costs approximately €600,- from Ford. When changing the FCDIM it is very important to install the correct part number. Not all FCDIM modules are interchangeable.

Just had the antennae off, and it looks like the following 2 pics, no real damage/corrosion though

chip looks orange around one of the capacitors not sure if that's normal though

IMG_0798.JPG

IMG_0799.JPG

• Like 1

On 14/04/2017 at 0:48 PM, TangoDaz said:

I think this is the unit you need 

IMG_1133.PNG

Just bought this one

• Like 1

Replacing with the one above solved my issues :) just swapped the adapter under the aerial and job was a good'un 

cheers guys :)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I have the same problem, no GPS signal, asks me to drive onto a suitable road. Has anybody just buy the bullet and paid for a new base for ford? It's priced at £72 . Did it work?

As mentioned in previous quotes try the antenna from eBay should sort out the problem and easily to fit underneath the a pillar trim 

Really don't know why people worry about going non-standard.  It's pretty much the easiest mod you can do. Some people don't even bother with the A pillar and leave the GPS unit on top of the ACM.  

• Like 1

I tried to put it on the ACM but it seemed to lose some satellites (I had maximum 5).

What I did was to put the gps antenna on top of the glove compartment. I have in this way 7-8 satellites all the time.

Also I so that if I turn it upside down it will loose all satellites.

I put mine behind behind the mirror cover

If Id known I could have stuck it to the roof next to the antenna I may have gone for it, just seemed a lot of potch to run the one off eBay under the lining and down to the inside the a post. Not touched any of that before and didn't fancy the risk of spoiling the interior. I've bought the antenna base today from Evans halshaw for £72 and fitting it tomorrow. Really hope it works. They wanted £108 for an hour's labour to fit it!!!!??

• 9 months later...

Hi all,

Where is the gps connected ? 

On the rear of my radio unit (small mfd Navi) I have two fakra-connectors being used. Is one of them the gps? Or should I remove the screen also to find the gps connector ?

br

the gps fakra connector is on the back of the display

• 2 months later...

i have a mk2 focus and cant find where it is connected. Any help?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I have 2011 focus the sat nav knows where I want to go ( destination ) but thinks I’m in Bedford as a starting point therefore every destination I want is 160 km away , surely the system GPS can’t know where I want to go if broken ? So confused ..... my maps also has no idea where I am just fields and the odd river !!!

Its working from your last cached position. Thats where you were when it broke

• Like 1

Here's a thing - my 2017 Focus says the same yet the sat-nav is working flawlessly.

I don't recall seeing it before I updated the SYNC3 a month or so back so I'm guessing a firmware glitch?

• 4 months later...

Hello - I have just had the No GPS message.

How do you remove the aerial base from the roof ( rear of roof)?

Do you need to remove the interior head lining ?

Thanks in advance

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club