Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dash cam

NeilRS

Had a dash cam a couple of years ago but never used it because the wires were w bit cumbersome- so I'm going to get it hard wired by Halfords next week. How do they work when hard wired? Does the power stop once the engines off?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, NeilRS said:

Had a dash cam a couple of years ago but never used it because the wires were w bit cumbersome- so I'm going to get it hard wired by Halfords next week. How do they work when hard wired? Does the power stop once the engines off?

You could hard wire it yourself for alot less money than Halfords, all you need is a piggy back fuse adaptor and some cable with a USB adaptor.

depending on the choice of fuse you plug in to, you can have it come on with the ignition or on all the time, mine comes on with ignition see Guide here: Guide Fitting Dual Camera DVR System Focus Mk2 & Mk2.5Click Here the guide is done on a mk2.5 focus but the only real difference between it and yours in this case would be the choice of fuse number as the fuse board layout would be different.

23 minutes ago, Lenny said:

the choice of fuse number as the fuse board layout would be different.

Has anyone found the passenger compartment fuse box yet?  The manual says:

The fuse panel is located under the instrument panel to the left of the steering column.
Note:  It may be easier to access the fuse panel if you remove the finish trim piece. 

I can't see anything obvious there and just below that there is the knee airbag cover which I don't fancy ripping off just to see!

I have the f750 thinkware,    had it in my mustang  now in the edge

Is more of a pain to wire rear camera up in the Edge,  but do able in a hour,    

Comes on with ignition and had parking mode when ignition goes off,   

• Like 1

On 20/03/2017 at 7:55 AM, Lenny said:

You could hard wire it yourself for alot less money than halfords, all you need is a piggy back fuse adaptor and some cable with a USB adaptor.

depending on the choice of fuse you plug in to, you can have it come on with the ignition or on all the time, mine comes on with ignition see Guide here: Guide Fitting Dual Camera DVR System Focus Mk2 & Mk2.5Click Here the guide is done on a mk2.5 focus but the only real difference between it and yours in this case would be the choice of fuse number as the fuse board layout would be different.

Mate you over estimate my abilities- would much rather give someone £30 than electrocute myself!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ian whu said:

Is down in the passenger footwell

Na 

Found it.  I can see it but haven't worked out how to get a hand to it yet.  The manual describes where it is but that is a common description with a LHD car!!!  It is actually to the right of the steering column but unfortunately it is also ABOVE the knee airbag!  I was convinced the slide down coin drawer had to have something to do with it and on looking very carefully it has a fuse symbol on it.  

I pulled it out, it is held in by clips.  I think there should be 4 but mine only had 2.  I then used an endoscope to identify the fuse box.  

Christ knows how you actually reach it without removing the airbag.  Answers on a post card please?

20170321_180208.jpg

2 hours ago, NeilRS said:

Mate you over estimate my abilities- would much rather give someone £30 than electrocute myself!

firstly this isint a rant mate im just trying to help you achieve your desired results as best possible, since my first attempt failed then i come back with advise on the alternative solution so ok😅 here we go:

The Halfords employee is most likely a huge fan of my guides😁 I've saw my mother get work done by Halfords twice in her passat a Parrott bluetooth kit & some headlight bulbs; and I seriously wouldn't as the staff are just kids seeking a job and faced with the task of installing what people purchase they may not even have a passion for doing it they just needed a job and well here we are.

I'm by no means tight with money check my build Google search: "taking ovsl to blue horizon lennys build thread" and I would agree if there was a level of confidence in the Halfords employee but with no disrespect; he's probably less knowledgeable than yourself mate because you already know what the interior of a Ford edge looks like 😁

if there's an alternative automotive electronics installer in your area I recommended going to them instead as they survive on reputation and have chosen that line of work as a passion rather than need and there company survives on installation rather than halfords supplementing loss of business by selling wax and screen wash, fingers in many pies but master of none.

overall it's your vehicle and your money but if you do go to halfords;  now that you have an idea of what needs to be done; watch them working in the vehicle and you will see what I'm talking about, Also count how many of his fellow employees have a try at it aswell.

And if they break anything such as door card clips or headlight tabs there like: 

2 hours ago, ian whu said:

Pay halfords,  u might aswel, close your eyes and do it Urself,   

Neil saw the forum & went to Halfords instead,

They fiddled with the dash and wrecked his head,

Neil called the Halford manager, and the manager said 🙍"no more monkeys working on the edge" 

article-2142427-1304DEAA000005DC-922_634

• Like 3

There is a fuse box in passenger foot well,    trust me,  

I've wired my dash cam to it    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ian whu said:

There is a fuse box in passenger foot well,    trust me,  

I've wired my dash cam to it    

Stuck my head under there and couldn't find it!  Where abouts? How do you access it?  

The one I saw next to the steering wheel has a what looks like a red plastic fuse puller attached to the outside so I have just assumed that is it as I haven't been able to reach it to remove any covers there might be to be 100% sure.

9 hours ago, ian whu said:

I'll go out and take a picture, 

This thread is becoming like a Scary movie horror film, guy goes out to take a picture and hasn't been heard from for atleast 9 hours later like 😯

• Like 2

lol, I forgot all about it , got called to a job,   will do it in morning

• Like 1

Thanks Ian

That seems pretty conclusive.  Once it stops raining I'll go and have another look.

Which fuse did you use for the dashcam?

Jim

• Like 1

Used number 3 for the switched live,    for parking mode

I'm sure I used 34 for live all time,    

And I put 5amp fuses in the fuse taps. 

• Like 1

Ian

Spot on, just where you said it was.  That'll teach me for looking in poor light.

Is there a trick to getting the cover off or do you just prise it of with a screwdriver?  My finger certainly isn't strong enough.

Jim

• Like 1

Just push upwards, and outwards slightly on bottom,  does take a bit of force 

• Like 1

Any chance of some info on how you routed the cabling etc? Did you have to remove any trim?

I'm contemplating getting a Viofo A119 camera and investigating mounting just to the drivers side of the windscreen sensor housing. Low enough so that the lens  is clear of the shaded areas and far left enough that it doesn't stick out past the rear view mirror.

That said - I've never owned nor fitted a dashcam before - that just seems to be a sensible place.

• Like 1

If it's only a front camera,   then no panels need to be removed,    only the rubber seal around door shut    

I had to put my camera in line with my head, Coz of field of view, the sensor housing blocks a lot of the left view if too close to it, 

Cable easy fits up in the headlining,  down door shut, then along to fuse box,  

• Like 2

Hi @Peter_B78 as you have said you have no experience with dashcams I thought I would just say the general rule of thumb regarding placement/field of view is to make sure you have no more than one third sky and at least 2 thirds road in the view finder. Less chance of glare from the sun. If you already knew that then apologies.

I was once at Halfords picking up my current dashcam a Drivepro 220 in the front and a 200 in the rear, when I went out there was an employee attempting to change the Wiper Blades on a ladies car. He was making a right [emoji459] up of it so I offered to help and had them done in seconds. I made sure the lady went and got her money back for fitting! That was just Wiper Blades so imagine what they will do to your beautiful Edge. I could tell you many, many more horror stories some of which are borderline dangerous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

A few days ago, I splashed out on a Nextbase 412GW from amazon (most of their Nextbase dash cams are quite a bit cheaper than anywhere else I could find). It arrived Thursday and I fitted it that night.

I'm not impressed with having only got a 12v power supply in the armrest (great as an additional power source, but useless for  ease of access). As I am not sure hard wiring is necessary for what I need and don't want to break my new car by messing where I shouldn't (electrics!), I plug my dash cam into the 12v on the rear of the centre console. The cable is then run alongside the passenger seat, through the storage tray in front of the heater controls, tucked under the dash beneath the steering column then behind the rubber door seal and under the edge of the headlining. Great. Looks quite neat and took about five minutes. I had to be a bit careful tucking the cable around the top of the trim on the A pillar, but that was all. I'm not sure a 'fitter' would have been quite so careful.

The only downside to my routing is that I ran out of cable so my dashcam is on the drivers side alongside the mirror - concealed behind the sun visor, which I always leave down... 

• Like 2