Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Leaking De-gas hose

thakrsun

I noticed a leak on one of my coolant hoses this weekend, having done some research online I discovered the problem is with the De-gas hose and a known issue with 1.0L ecoboosts. I called up Ford who confirmed there is a recall on my car and its been booked in for Wednesday. Can anybody advise if theres a way to patch the small crack on the hose so I can drive it to the dealership 4 miles away? I tried electrical tape but this came off under the  temperature of the leaking coolant.

Thanks 

Personally I would not  try to repair the hose. If the hose is already cracked it can split or develop a much larger crack which causes the coolant to drain quickly. this often results in engine damage. Personally I would tow the car to the dealership or take the hose and install it yourself (installation of the hose is basically an easy/5 minute job).

Personally I would also inspect the coolant reservoir. The reservoir can develop (micro)cracks which can also result in engine damage. The reservoir is also easy to replace and pretty inexpensive.

the recall for the degas hose was over 2 Years ago. If the car has been serviced by a Ford dealership the hose should already have been replaced.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JW1982 said:

Personally I would not  try to repair the hose. If the hose is already cracked it can split or develop a much larger crack which causes the coolant to drain quickly. this often results in engine damage. Personally I would tow the car to the dealership or take the hose and install it yourself (installation of the hose is basically an easy/5 minute job).

Personally I would also inspect the coolant reservoir. The reservoir can develop (micro)cracks which can also result in engine damage. The reservoir is also easy to replace and pretty inexpensive.

the recall for the degas hose was over 2 Years ago. If the car has been serviced by a Ford dealership the hose should already have been replaced.

I bought it 1 year old (13 plate) from a Ford dealership in 2014. I went for a service there in 2015 and nothing was mentioned. Since then I've taken it to a local garage as our local ford garage has crap customer service. I did think about replacing those hose myself for the rubber version and using clips to secure it as the existing is heat pressed. Where is best for purchasing the hose spare and what size is needed?

• Like 1

The new type degas hose is a complete assembly including the clamps.

1240_gr.jpg

1240_gr_1.jpg

This hose has Finis number 1829702 and part number CV61-BK012-ZA

• Like 2

Would the dealership allow me to take the hose and fit myself or would they claim that voids any work in future? Otherwise, where would you recommend for ordering the parts?

I would just ask them.

Being a recall/warranty issue the dealership can claim the new hose from Ford. If you install it yourself they simply save time. However they may need the old hose as prove.

if the dealership insists on installing the hose themselves I would tow the car to the dealership. Being a recall the replacement hose and installation of the hose should be free of charge.

• Like 2

under no cicumstances should you drive it with a coolant leak, as said allready either tow it to garage or ask garage if you can fit it yourself, ( take old one off first and take to dealer to swap for the new ond if they are happy for you to do it)

• Like 1

Thanks all. I'll call the dealership tomorrow and ask if I can pick up the hose or arrange some sort of towing to get it there. 

23 hours ago, JW1982 said:

I would just ask them.

Being a recall/warranty issue the dealership can claim the new hose from Ford. If you install it yourself they simply save time. However they may need the old hose as prove.

if the dealership insists on installing the hose themselves I would tow the car to the dealership. Being a recall the replacement hose and installation of the hose should be free of charge.

I spoke to the dealership today and they said they wouldnt give me the part as self fitting would void the warranty of the part, so I've arranged for it to be towed. I just did  a last check to see if it was still dripping and have noticed the coolant expansion tank is also leaking from what feels like a very small crack underneath. I know you mentioned this being a possibility above, I'll raise it with the dealership and see if they will also replace for free that as its obviously connected.

• Like 1