Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A Dangerous Modification

Bobr

Was just coming to post this also. 

I don't modify myself,  but love all kind of modded and non modified cars. 

Just a reminder to always be safe and don't be risking lives with any shortcuts or dangerous mods

such a shame looks like he would of fitted right in on here, just shows what a small problem can do.

just shows what can happen :sad:

I saw the news when the tragic incident first happened and there were suspicions it was due to carbon monoxide then.

Just shows how much thought has to be put in to the design of the car by the manufacturer which can so easily be undone with certain mods.

• Like 1

Modification or not, the problem was a leaking exhaust? Not helped by the bonnet vents I suppose. 

• Like 1

Yeah if not for the bonnet vents the fumes shouldn't have really made it to the cabin air intake.

There is a seal between the bonnet and scuttle panel so they don't pull engine air in.

Another sad loss for a pair of young people,makes you think these days.

You don't need to mod a car for fumes to knock you out or kill you!!

Wonder if many of you guys know your not allowed to travel with the rear hatch open slightly or fully up ? Maybe shifting a bit of furniture or a bit of long wood, fits in the boot,  but the boot won't shut correctly, so you find some string and tie down the hatch with the lock mechanism, this is SO DANGEROUS because the fumes from the exhaust swirl around the back of the car and then the gases get forced inside the vehicle, then the trouble starts as the occupants can soon be overcome by the fumes and they get dizzy & pass out and most likely crash. 

Back in the early 1990's a group of lads thought it would be cool to take the hatch completely off a corsa and turn the rear seat to face towards the rear of the car and drove around being idiots, the car crashed after the driver passed out and several passenger was flung out the rear with serious injuries.

Don't ever travel with the hatch open :huh: If a copper sees you with the boot up or slightly open, the chances are he'll pull you over :blush:

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ian Lanc said:

You don't need to mod a car for fumes to knock you out or kill you!!

Wonder if many of you guys know your not allowed to travel with the rear hatch open slightly or fully up ? Maybe shifting a bit of furniture or a bit of long wood, fits in the boot,  but the boot won't shut correctly, so you find some string and tie down the hatch with the lock mechanism, this is SO DANGEROUS because the fumes from the exhaust swirl around the back of the car and then the gases get forced inside the vehicle, then the trouble starts as the occupants can soon be overcome by the fumes and they get dizzy & pass out and most likely crash. 

Back in the early 1990's a group of lads thought it would be cool to take the hatch completely off a corsa and turn the rear seat to face towards the rear of the car and drove around being idiots, the car crashed after the driver passed out and several passenger was flung out the rear with serious injuries.

Don't ever travel with the hatch open :huh: If a copper sees you with the boot up or slightly open, the chances are he'll pull you over :blush:

Never even thought of the fumes side of things, always seeing people move furniture or going to tip with boot tied half open.

Just now, alexp999 said:

Never even thought of the fumes side of things, always seeing people move furniture or going to tip with boot tied half open.

Been illegal for years Alex, I've always told people to never drive with the boot up! Being a petrol engined car you just can't see the gases, but on a diesel vehicle it's a different story as you can see the smoke getting dragged inside, when 'Top Gear' used to be TOP GEAR back in the 80's & 90's they always warned about driving these 'new style' hatchbacks with the hatch up and used to show how bad the fumes got dragged in with it open by using a smoke generator fitted in line with the exhaust, driver used to wear proper breathing apparatus so he didn't get knocked out.

• Like 1

I too remember this happening and said it would likely be down to The Decat. I know when I decatted my fiesta temporarily I would get headaches at traffic lights or whilst driving which could well have been down to me fitting the exhaust itself on axle stands in a rush without fresh gaskets. Long story short, he removed the factory downpipe containing the factory catalytic converter 

He then fitted an aftermarket Decatted downpipe, now overlooking the legal side of things, as a ford technician he should've known to check his work. He left it loose/a gap which allowed gasses to escape and enter the cabin. I know on my car the seal on the scuttle panel doesn't seal airtight all the way along, it makes more contact in some areas than others

Non the less, a tragic accident 

may be colourless and odourless but you get one hell of a headache first normally, suppose it was that quick and intense fumes they didnt get that effect to warn them

was quite common to get effects from carbon monoxide in the motortrade in the days before cats. i daily had headaches due to some idiots revving cars in workshop with doors shut

• Like 1

If they had been using the car frequently, which I guess they had then I would imagine they had slowly been poisoning themselves and the levels of Carbon Monoxide had been high for a little while. Then on that night sitting outside her house for a while was enough to prove fatal. It is very odd that both of them passed out and died at the exact same time though, that is normally something you would see in a home where the deaths happened in the deceased sleep. Tragic situation for all involved

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I actually talked spoke to tom now and again nice guy and had plenty knowledge of cars tii as if a remember he worked for ford but its a shame as above said its because of the vents that this really happend as the fumes shouldn't have made it to inside car 

This video seems to be the most honest

https://facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1244028165652628&id=122103087870579

• Like 1

Speaking of dangerous modifications.. 

image.jpeg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stef123 said:

image.jpeg

Perhaps someone should reply with a link to this article....

• Like 1

On 22/03/2017 at 8:00 AM, Jonro2009 said:

If they had been using the car frequently, which I guess they had then I would imagine they had slowly been poisoning themselves and the levels of Carbon Monoxide had been high for a little while. Then on that night sitting outside her house for a while was enough to prove fatal. It is very odd that both of them passed out and died at the exact same time though, that is normally something you would see in a home where the deaths happened in the deceased sleep. Tragic situation for all involved

That's what I thought too Jon, very strange that they would both pass out/die at the exact same time...  If one remained conscious when the other passed out first, then you'd think they would call for help and get out of the car!?  Yes they may still have died from exposure, but to be both sitting in the vehicle having made no effort to get out is very odd.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stef123 said:

Are some people so dumb in their quest to have a mean sounding car :wallbash:

Is this on a Facebook page ?

4 hours ago, stef123 said:
image.jpeg

#This

[Morgan Freeman pointing up]

Is why the Aliens won't talk to us.#

Edited by alexp999
remove swearing
  • Like 2

I remember seeing that photo years ago, haha

47 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

#This

[Morgan Freeman pointing up]

Is why the Aliens won't talk to us.#

Funny as that meme is, I've had to remove it due to swearing. Feel free to post another non-swearing version :)

• Like 2

:smile: lol

2 minutes ago, stef123 said:

Maybe you'd prefer this one 

image.jpeg

Stef are you on slamber city by any chance? 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club