Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thinking about buying 2010 Ford Ranger Thunder 2.5 4wheel drive

WL1

Hi folks. Am thinking about buying a 2010 Ford Ranger Thunder 2.5 with double gear box. Can anybody provide any info on known issues.  How does the double gear box work?

double gearbox?? 

you mean double cab ? 

That seemed to kill the convo...................

Hi Wendy,

Great terminology, love it. The attachment is fascinating if you are technically minded, if not just bin it. It refers to an earlier model Ranger, but the drive train should be the same. Start about page 74 where the power comes off the engine and through the clutch. I think around page 84 is what you are looking for, Ford call it the transfer case, I call it the transfer box, you call it something else. That is where the high and low and 2 and 4 wheel drive are controlled. The Ford Owner's Guide should tell you in which circumstances each is used. Normal road driving is in 2High, off road would be in 4High or 4Low.

I'm in Antrim too and drive a silver 12 year old with only 60K on it. The only downside I have found is when you start driving it you can't not drive it. Oh yeah, it is a bit big for parking until you get used to it.

Ford Ranger Intro Power Train.pdf

Hi folks. Thanks for your comments and for the technical info. I did indeed make the purchase and love this truck!!!   I need to get a cover for the trailer.  Was thinking on a roller shutter as this should hopefully avoid the inevitable denting of a solid cover! Would also like to keep the roll bars. Any suggestions or recommendations for suppliers?  Thanks. :)

Hi Wendy,

Glad to hear you bought and like your Ranger so much. It is certainly not just another car.

Local to Antrim there isn't a big choice of 4X4 accessory dealers. There is Robinsons just outside Hillsborough, 028 9268 2235, but they are more into buying and selling vehicles. Or there is Whitemountain 4X4 at Sales Corner outside Lisburn, 028 9264 7999. They mainly do Land Rover but may be able to help. And there is Storm Xccessories, 028 7940 1222, at Swatragh near Magera. They have offices in Worcester and Dublin and may be the best bet locally.

Otherwise the option is to get things fitted during a trip to England. I did that and used a place in Leeming Bar, 4x4AT I think. I dropped my truck off with them one evening and collected it lunch time next day, all pre-arranged on the phone. They put a lot of stuff on for me and I had no carriage charges.

I haven't had any experience with the roller shutter top, I got a hard top fitted on mine for the extra space, so I can't comment on that. I'm sure somebody somewhere has fitted a roller shutter top and kept the bars in place. I don't know if it would need any modification.

Hope this helps.

Hi there. Thanks for this. I'll contact the places you suggest and see! :smile:

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club