Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rattle sound from dashboard

Ford_lover38

Hey all,

Abit of a strange but VERY annoying issue. While drive over 30mph on certain roads that are not smooth there is a annoying rattle coming from the centre of the dash. It sounds like its under the fans. The sound is like a piece of plastic vibrating - its sooooooo annoying! 

Any ideas what it could be? Had a look online seems like a few others have it but the best solution I found was to just turn the volume up lol

Thanks

Stock radio or not?

ive got a after market double din and get the same noise that I found comes from that as if I hold the top of it there is no noise

Stock radio - I thought it could be the plastic around the radio so i held it down when the rattle came about but nope didnt solve it 😞

I've a Sony aftermarket head unit and get the noise, so if anyone can enlighten me I'd be very grateful 

35 minutes ago, Commencal24 said:

I've a Sony aftermarket head unit and get the noise, so if anyone can enlighten me I'd be very grateful 

I have a aftermarket radio but no cage to secure it so it's sat in there loosely. When driving at speed it vibrates making the noise. Only fix I can think of is to secure the radio properly

15 hours ago, Jonanstee said:

I have a aftermarket radio but no cage to secure it so it's sat in there loosely. When driving at speed it vibrates making the noise. Only fix I can think of is to secure the radio properly

Mine has a bracket on each side which is then screwed to the dash behind the trim 

30 minutes ago, Commencal24 said:

Mine has a bracket on each side which is then screwed to the dash behind the trim 

Is there a gap at all around the radio and trim? If so it may still be this. If not it could possibly be something small behind? Like the adapter? Try taping it to something so it can move and drive. See if it makes any difference 

I've a feeling it's probably the trim that fits around the headunit. 

Ive just had my headunit of this weekend too to sort my external USB out 😫

Hmmmm I might take my trim off around the radio and re-apply it see if that helps.

any tips for getting it off mate? 

9 hours ago, Ford_lover38 said:

Hmmmm I might take my trim off around the radio and re-apply it see if that helps.

any tips for getting it off mate? 

I drove around with mine of for a day and it didn't seem to make any difference.

If you still want to try, I got my fingers where the trim curves below the heater dials and gave it a good pull and it comes right off, don't be worried about the force used 

Thanks for that mate, I'll give it a try. Have you tried checking the bit of plastic between the steering wheel and the speedo? Mine seems to be lose abit, thats what I'll check next after the dash trim.

so much plastic on the whole dash its hard to tell what exactly is causing it! 

• Like 1

No I've not, I'll have a check before I leave work for home.

Thats true, I'll prob end up just living with it I can imagine 

The radio/menu stalk beside the steering wheel rattles in my car, and for what ever reason it is more apparent during warmer days. Also  I thought originally it was coming from the dash myself, perhaps this is the noise your hearing?

• Like 1

Yeh thats on my list of stuff to rule out so far I have:

- take the trim off around the stero 

- check the plastic between the steering wheel and the spedo

- check the radio/volume stalk under the indicator stalk

- the plastic screen in the middle of the spedo and rev counter 

- and finally take the fan vents off and the trim around the stero off and drive around 

- oh and check the glove compartment for any lose plastics

now after that if i dont find the "rattle" I'm tempted to just hit the dash very hard with a hammer and hope for the best lol

• Like 1

On ‎28‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 10:11 PM, Ford_lover38 said:

Yeh thats on my list of stuff to rule out so far I have:

- take the trim off around the stero 

- check the plastic between the steering wheel and the spedo

- check the radio/volume stalk under the indicator stalk

- the plastic screen in the middle of the spedo and rev counter 

- and finally take the fan vents off and the trim around the stero off and drive around 

- oh and check the glove compartment for any lose plastics

now after that if i dont find the "rattle" I'm tempted to just hit the dash very hard with a hammer and hope for the best lol

How did you get on? I have a very annoying noise too and want to see if any of the above worked! :)

6 minutes ago, BeccaST said:

How did you get on? I have a very annoying noise too and want to see if any of the above worked! :)

Not had a chance to check it all yet but as soon as I do I'll get back to you :)

• Like 1

On 28/03/2017 at 8:25 PM, James said:

The radio/menu stalk beside the steering wheel rattles in my car, and for what ever reason it is more apparent during warmer days. Also  I thought originally it was coming from the dash myself, perhaps this is the noise your hearing?

Thank you my friend!! Just found thats the cause of my rattle. While driving and the rattle starts i put my fingers over the button and the rattle stops!

short term solution put some tape over it - long term solution take it appart and fix the lose part. Looks like its held in place with just a couple of screws so shouldn't be too hard to get it off 😄

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Ford_lover38 said:

Thank you my friend!! Just found thats the cause of my rattle. While driving and the rattle starts i put my fingers over the button and the rattle stops!

short term solution put some tape over it - long term solution take it appart and fix the lose part. Looks like its held in place with just a couple of screws so shouldn't be too hard to get it off 😄

I'll try that next time I'm out in to see if that's the problem 

Hey guys,

Found a youtube guide on how to take the bugger out looks so dam simple! In the video is a MK1 and mines a MK2.5 but from looking online its the apparently the same process. Ive added the link below:

• Like 1

Not sure why he's jamming the screwdriver in at that angle. It's much easier to use a short one and push at 90° to the control stalk in the middle, feel for a springy bit of plastic and then slide the stalk off.
Not sure if the mk2 is the same though.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Use the short end of an Allen key, far easier to push with.
Mk2 is the same, took my stalk off when fitting an illuminated ignition ring on my old mk2.

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips to both you. I'll give it a try in the weekend 

• Like 1

Seems like this is the issue with mine as well, held the stalk once the rattle had started and it stops.

Is it something loose? Or something not fitting snug?

3 hours ago, Commencal24 said:

Seems like this is the issue with mine as well, held the stalk once the rattle had started and it stops.

Is it something loose? Or something not fitting snug?

I think its something inside thats just come lose. 

Im planning to take mine off some time soonish and have a look. Alot of people with the same issue as us have taken it off and taken it appart and put it back together and its as good as new.

Currently got mine covered with tape, such a good feeling to have that annoying sound gone lol

Let me know how you get on 👍🏼

Im getting the guy across the keep commenting about my constant weekends "tinkering" with my car, so this will be another reason for him to come across and say something 😆 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club