Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK3 - 3.5 TFT to 5.5 Sat Nav?

vibeone

Car I'm buying looks like this:

34t72nc.jpg

I don't really like built in sat nav's but just for the sake of completeness, I'm interested in the costs of installing, and (more importantly) the ease of doing so.  Is it possible? Are there any others benefits to the 5.5inch screen?

The car does not have sync, and has the older BT voice stuff which I really like (and have heard in some ways is better than SYNC V1), but is it compatible with the 5.5" screen?

Thanks!

As long as the screen is from a pre-sync car it should work.

I had Sat Nav in my 2012 (pre-sync) Focus Titanium X, with the larger screen.

You might not even need to activate nav if you don't want it.

im after the same answers with the mk4 2015 I have standard sync stereo but i want to upgrade to the sat nav one I know the climate control wont work but who uses that any way!

from what I gather its head unit, screen ,fascia module  and  aerial plus cable I have found a doner car to take it out of I think it will just need a schematics diagram to work out what's what between the two cars (one that has it one that does not ) I can not imagine the whole inside loom being different  

1 minute ago, Adamp91gvm said:

im after the same answers with the mk4 2015 I have standard sync stereo but i want to upgrade to the sat nav one I know the climate control wont work but who uses that any way!

from what I gather its head unit, screen ,fascia module  and  aerial plus cable I have found a doner car to take it out of I think it will just need a schematics diagram to work out what's what between the two cars (one that has it one that does not ) I can not imagine the whole inside loom being different  

1. There is no MK4 Focus yet.

2. Give the forum a search, if you've got Sync 2 this can be done easily.

3 hours ago, alexp999 said:

As long as the screen is from a pre-sync car it should work.

I had Sat Nav in my 2012 (pre-sync) Focus Titanium X, with the larger screen.

You might not even need to activate nav if you don't want it.

Thanks,

So do we think a straight replacement of the "stereo" plus facia is enough?

Is SyncV1 really worse than the legacy stuff?

Pros and Cons.

Should be able to just change the screen if it's the correct generation.

1 hour ago, alexp999 said:

Pros and Cons.

Should be able to just change the screen if it's the correct generation.

Is there a name for "SYNC 0" or is it just the BT/VC thing as named on ETIS?

Might have a look at swapping it then.

3 hours ago, DJ_Andy_M said:

Sorry typo  I think it is sync 2 I'll only find out tommorrow  .thanks I'll give the forum a good look over

18 hours ago, DJ_Andy_M said:

I have this one In the 1st pic I want itike the second one

Screenshot_20170331-083802.png

Screenshot_20170331-083813.png

Adam, not trying to be arsey (really, I'm not)... but you might want to start another thread - just because there is no real connection between what you are trying to do and what I am doing - other than a similar aim!  Might get confusing otherwise.

Admittedly my thread could have been worded better!

1 hour ago, vibeone said:

Adam, not trying to be arsey (really, I'm not)... but you might want to start another thread - just because there is no real connection between what you are trying to do and what I am doing - other than a similar aim!  Might get confusing otherwise.

Admittedly my thread could have been worded better!

Agreed. And also, Adam. It's not a straight swap either. Lots of module changes and lots of money to spend. You might as well swap your car for a higher spec with that system rather than spend the money to upgrade it personally.

• Like 1

Ahh sorry I thought this was the same issue

1 hour ago, Adamp91gvm said:

Ahh sorry I thought this was the same issue

You're looking at changing to a Mk3/3.5 8" display with at least Sync 2 or Sync 3.  Your image shows a 8" Sync 2 display.

Unless you can find used parts or very big discounts it will cost around £1-1.5K  in parts alone.   There is also a difference between Sync 2 and Sync 3 display tech with Sync 3 using capacitive and the APIM/media hub associated with them.  Besides the physical hardware changes there are software changes and new console facia to house the larger screen.

If you're going to do it I'd go Sync 3 having used both because Sync 2 is slow, clunky and doesn't play with iOS/Android apps etc.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, avi said:

You're looking at changing to a Mk3/3.5 8" display with at least Sync 2 or Sync 3.  Your image shows a 8" Sync 2 display.

Unless you can find used parts or very big discounts it will cost around £1-1.5K  in parts alone.   There is also a difference between Sync 2 and Sync 3 display tech with Sync 3 using capacitive and the APIM/media hub associated with them.  Besides the physical hardware changes there are software changes and new console facia to house the larger screen.

If you're going to do it I'd go Sync 3 having used both because Sync 2 is slow, clunky and doesn't play with iOS/Android apps etc.

I have found a rolled one he said 150 quid for what ever I need just need to know what I need 

15 minutes ago, Adamp91gvm said:

I have found a rolled one he said 150 quid for what ever I need just need to know what I need 

Does the donor car have sat nav ?

I'm not sure about "all" the parts you need but - are LCD display unit/mounting if not already there, Sync APIM module, multimedia hub, dash console facia, media hub mounting console (if not present), CD/stereo unit and/or fittings if your existing unit/ position isn't compatible, wiring, GPS sensors etc if not already installed. I believe you also needs the appropriate software changes to the car to make it work.

Assuming you get all the bits and can reprogram you may need to remove all the trim and console with heating controls etc  around the gear shift to access the screws for the top facia. 

Yet it does have nav I know the only thing I know I won't be able to control is climate luckily my missus has the titanium  so I can  check looks and that between the two 

5 minutes ago, Adamp91gvm said:

Yet it does have nav I know the only thing I know I won't be able to control is climate luckily my missus has the titanium  so I can  check looks and that between the two 

Does your car have the GPS antenna/wiring harness etc and does the donor car have the removable Nav SD card ? 

Also I think Sync 2 is setup to work with a specific VIN and afaik its not just as simple as fitting the hardware and it will work. I think this will need reprogramming but I'm sure someone with more knowledge will confirm if this is the case or not.