Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auto Relock

Yetiman65

I'm slowly getting to know my new Edge (Sport 210, Sync 2) & so far I'm impressed & really enjoying the car. I discover new bits of technology & features on the car every day but the "auto relock" feature doesn't appear to work i.e. when I unlock the car using the remote the doors don't auto relock after 45 seconds if I haven't opened any doors. It was a feature on my previous ST3 & the Edge Manual covers the feature so I assume it should be present. Do your Edges auto relock & does mine therefore need a computer reboot back at Ford? Thanks

It's there in the new mondeo, in the driver aids menu I think, or the next one down. I would have thought it should be there in the Edge

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've had mine lock by itself but not sure what I did or not for it to do it. 

• 1 month later...

My edge wont auto re-lock , local ford dealer having it in to plug into computer on the 1st june will let you know if they sort it out.

My car (2016 my) does not auto relock. It's been back to the dealer who told me it's not fitted to the Edge. Later models seem to have a revised key fob and auto relock.

I am currently returning to my car most days to find that I've accidentally triggered the unlock with the key in my trouser pocket. My wife carries her set of keys in her handbag though has also unlocked the car before now. As we have a work's car park, I cannot park outside the range of the key remote (does it really need to have a 100m range?). As there is public access through the car park, I am really concerned about having my car stolen, etc.

Where are you supposed to store your car keys so as not to keep accidentally unlocking the car? 

The dealer 

2 hours ago, xn85 said:

My car (2016 my) does not auto relock. It's been back to the dealer who told me it's not fitted to the Edge. Later models seem to have a revised key fob and auto relock.

I am currently returning to my car most days to find that I've accidentally triggered the unlock with the key in my trouser pocket. My wife carries her set of keys in her handbag though has also unlocked the car before now. As we have a work's car park, I cannot park outside the range of the key remote (does it really need to have a 100m range?). As there is public access through the car park, I am really concerned about having my car stolen, etc.

Where are you supposed to store your car keys so as not to keep accidentally unlocking the car? 

The dealer is talking total rubbish, my car is a 2016MY and auto relocks

• Like 1

For the price your paying for a car such as he edge and it does not have Auto-relock , my wifes friend came around with a cheap nissan and that had it fitted. My cars going into the garage on the 1st june to get this problem sorted, will let you know what the result is.

The dealer promised to take this up with Ford, but I haven't heard anything back yet. My wife's EcoSport is going in on 6th June to have new discs / pads fitted under warranty (5000 miles and front discs are ruined!) and I intend taking a copy of the relevant page from the Edge handbook with me - If it says it has it in the handbook, why doesn't it work on my car...?

Yesterday I tried an experiment. I tried unlocking my car from over 100m away. It unlocked. If my wife or I are within 100m of the car, we risk accidentally unlocking the car, which then does not relock itself. 

Getting annoyed now...

My 2016MY (Sync2) still doesn't auto relock, one visit to the dealer (EvansHalshaw Preston) a couple of weeks ago & they couldn't fix it but I had taken the handbook section that covers its operation so at the moment they accept it is a fault but they are getting further advice from Ford Technical to resolve it. Mine goes back in mid June so we'll see what happens. I'll be interested to see if Peter gets his fixed on the 01st June.

Well Ford had my car all day today with no joy on the Auto-Relock situation , told me they were awaiting a answer from Fords technical dept to try resolve this issue. Gave me the most basic of the Ford Fiesta range of car to use, guess what, that had Auto- Relock, you figure that one out.. Have to take car back when they get a answer from Ford.

17 hours ago, bluepeter said:

Well Ford had my car all day today with no joy on the Auto-Relock situation , told me they were awaiting a answer from Fords technical dept to try resolve this issue. Gave me the most basic of the Ford Fiesta range of car to use, guess what, that had Auto- Relock, you figure that one out.. Have to take car back when they get a answer from Ford.

They've got my Edge for 2 days next week to fit new side airbags (Ford Etis "recall"), fit a new drivers door trim to cure (hopefully) the wind noise & get the auto-relock working. Must admit at being a bit pessimistic that they'll get all 3 jobs done but I'll let you know - especially regarding the auto-relock.

PS I'm also expecting to have a basic ford fiesta for 2 days ;-)

Just had a call from garage , a ford engineer is comming to look at my car next Thursday about auto _relock will keep u posted.

1 hour ago, bluepeter said:

Just had a call from garage , a ford engineer is comming to look at my car next Thursday about auto _relock will keep u posted.

Send him over to Preston once he's finished please 😝

Will do yeti man,  sounds like he will have a full time job fixing edge faults.

• Like 1

all the engineers are busy primarily fixing edges

• Like 1

On 02/06/2017 at 7:17 PM, Yetiman65 said:

Send him over to Preston once he's finished please 😝

Then Blackpool, please...

• Like 1

Hi All finally got the Auto-Relock  sorted by local garage, Ford engineer had to sort it , but did say that certain new edges would not be able to have the Auto -Relock re programmed all depended on the edge they send from the factory, So yeti and xn would think its worth getting your dealer to request a engineer . 

Many thanks for this. I spoke to the dealer on Tuesday and gave them a copy of the relevant page from the handbook. I'm still waiting on their response...

4 hours ago, bluepeter said:

Hi All finally got the Auto-Relock  sorted by local garage, Ford engineer had to sort it , but did say that certain new edges would not be able to have the Auto -Relock re programmed all depended on the edge they send from the factory, So yeti and xn would think its worth getting your dealer to request a engineer . 

Just curious... what is the build date on your car?

5 hours ago, bluepeter said:

Well my Edge has spent 2 days in the service centre, they have replaced the side curtain air bags (outstanding field action on Ford Etis) but they couldn't fathom how to get the auto-relock working. They have come to the same conclusion as they did last time it was in there some 6 weeks ago that a Ford Engineer needs to visit!

So it will be going back in & hopefully it came of the right side of the production line in Canada back on 29.02.16 to be reprogrammed but after Peter's comment I am now not too optimistic 😂

My build is 06/06/2016 so fingers crossed. How can some cars come off the production line with a core feature and others not? Surely, this implies a component is to blame, which can therefore be replaced...

I've just noticed on ETIS that there's now a field service action for curtain air bags appeared. It looks like another phone call to dealer is in order...

Hi xn My car has a build date of 03/08/2016, Lets hope they send a engineer to sort yours and yeti,s re-lock problem sorted. On the sync issues, my mate has a 3 year old kuga with sync 3 yet my 2016 only has sync 2 , wouldnt you think ford would have sync 3 on all cars by now.

10 hours ago, xn85 said:

How can some cars come off the production line with a core feature and others not? Surely, this implies a component is to blame, which can therefore be replaced...

Not neccessarliy a faulty component! I used to work for one of the UK's largest manufacturers of off road 'vechicles' and there, due to poor proceses and too much manual intervention, the same model with the same options can roll off the production line with a different software versions in ECU's and different options configurations programmed in! In that company its all about getting product out of the door and let the dealer do the final PDI and sort issues out.

YES, it's bad and I have no doubt from the build quality of the EDGE (i.e panel alignment and spacing ...even though they have optical robots to do the quality check for this!), that they have many quality issues with the setup/config of the ECU's and electrical network and have insufficient automated testing once configured.

Compound that with what appears to be very little low level technical training of UK dealers on the EDGE model and you can quickly see why we-are-where-we-are!

2 minutes ago, bluepeter said:

wouldnt you think ford would have sync 3 on all cars by now.

Sync 3 was on the US models for the last 18 months. I suspect Ford saw the EDGE's introduction in to the European market as just the right initIal volumes to get rid of old Sync 2 stock! I do think it was a very bad move considering the position and price point in the Ford range! It made me cancel my order and re-order to ensure a Sync 3 model. Not what you want when your trying to launch an new model into an already brand sensitive market.

11 hours ago, xn85 said:

I've just noticed on ETIS that there's now a field service action for curtain air bags appeared. It looks like another phone call to dealer is in order...

My Edge wasn't recalled as such. I had noticed the field service message on Etis for my car & asked the dealership service centre about it. They have now replaced the air bags which were on next day delivery apparently so at least that part didn't need to come from Canada! I have noticed, however, the side curtain air bag field service message is still showing on Etis for mine - the service reception hadn't a clue how Etis gets updated to remove the message!

35 minutes ago, simonb65 said:

Sync 3 was on the US models for the last 18 months. I suspect Ford saw the EDGE's introduction in to the European market as just the right initIal volumes to get rid of old Sync 2 stock! I do think it was a very bad move considering the position and price point in the Ford range! It made me cancel my order and re-order to ensure a Sync 3 model. Not what you want when your trying to launch an new model into an already brand sensitive market.

I actually only ended up buying an Edge as the dealership (EH) were offering generous discounts, dealer deposit contribution, 0% interest etc on a fully kitted out 210 Edge Sport, it even has the excellent LED headlight system which even some of the Sync 3 guys now wished they'd opted for. The car was actually advertised as Sync 3 but when it was delivered to the dealer from their nearby compound they then advised me it was actually Sync 2 - that's when I found out what 2016MY actually meant!

I was given the option to cancel the deal & walk away but the same spec Edge with Sync 3 was around £3000 dearer. TBH having never seen or used Sync 3 the Sync 2 system is not a problem for me, I'll just change the car in a couple of years & get Sync 4 :-)