Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auto Relock

Yetiman65

I went into the dealer to replace my 3 year old Kuga TItanium X with one of the new ST Line models. Having pretty much agreed the deal, the sales manager suddenly asked if I'd considered the Edge. Erm... nope. He then offered me the same deal as we'd agreed for the Kuga, on a new forecourt Edge with Powershift (the Kuga deal was for a manual car). With dealer discount, 0% finance and deposit contribution the deal was too good to ignore. I had no choice of 'extras' with that deal but don't think there's anything more I would have added apart from the LED lights. Knowing how good the lights were on my Kuga, I kind of assumed that the standard lights on the Edge would be good enough for what I need... I was wrong. 

i absolutely love the Edge, except for the auto relock. I am now paranoid about leaving the car out of sight due to the sensitivity and range of the key remote, and the fact that it doesn't then relock. At work, I do not have a secure place to leave my car keys and am often away from the office with the only option of taking the key with me... Some of my colleagues go outside for cigarette breaks - I go outside for 'check my car's locked breaks'... 

Thanks for heads-up, Simon, regarding the varying configurations. It makes more sense now...

On 2017-6-9 at 9:46 AM, Yetiman65 said:

I was given the option to cancel the deal & walk away but the same spec Edge with Sync 3 was around £3000 dearer. TBH having never seen or used Sync 3 the Sync 2 system is not a problem for me, I'll just change the car in a couple of years & get Sync 4 :-) 

I got a very good deal in the end ... the sales guy totally understood my reason for waiting for sync 3 and so honoured the deal he'd aready given me. The price had since increased by £750 for the Sport (suspect the sync 3 cost is part of that), which he didn't charge me and to cap it all, my original spec was a Manual ... in his error, he allocated me an Auto on the production schedule which, when I pointed his mistake out, he said they would cover the £2,500 difference! Gave me a grand more than anyone else trade-in on my Kuga and, oh yes, and just caught the last week production run of Nautilus Blue ... Couldn't have been more chuffed :smile:

• Like 1

The dealership has just rang me to now advise that "auto-relock" is not a feature on my Edge Sport 210! :angry:

6 hours ago, Yetiman65 said:

The dealership has just rang me to now advise that "auto-relock" is not a feature on my Edge Sport 210! :angry:

I suggest you try another dealer, they obviously don't understand the car. Did they not have another Sport model to try it on? PM me your VIN and i'll compare my ETIS infor to your build. It does on mine.

1 hour ago, simonb65 said:

I suggest you try another dealer, they obviously don't understand the car. Did they not have another Sport model to try it on? PM me your VIN and i'll compare my ETIS infor to your build. It does on mine.

Cheers Simon, any help appreciated, my VIN is 2FMTK5A3XGBB20339. I had a look on Etis & couldn't see any mention of auto-relock on there. Dealership were meant to call back but not heard anything. I was insisting the man from Ford comes to visit & check the car rather than them just staring at computer screens! The Edge demonstrator there does auto-Relock so I haven't a clue why they are just dismissing it as not being a feature?

Mine seems to affected by how far away I am. If I stay close it doesn't do it- if I unlock from some distance, 100 m or so, it relocks 

6 minutes ago, NeilRS said:

Mine seems to affected by how far away I am. If I stay close it doesn't do it- if I unlock from some distance, 100 m or so, it relocks 

Mine re-locks after 45 seconds, even if I'm standing just 3 feet (1m) away with the fob in my hand. I don't think it's proximity, the logic for me just seems to be Unlock -> No door opened for 45 seconds -> Lock !

• Like 1

Same for me Simon. Relocks as it should. 

1 hour ago, simonb65 said:

Mine re-locks after 45 seconds, even if I'm standing just 3 feet (1m) away with the fob in my hand. I don't think it's proximity, the logic for me just seems to be Unlock -> No door opened for 45 seconds -> Lock !

I know that's what's supposed to happen- just saying what happens with mine. 

Although if it's anything like sync 3, it will do something slightly different every day!

13 hours ago, Yetiman65 said:

Cheers Simon, any help appreciated, my VIN is 2FMTK5A3XGBB20339. I had a look on Etis & couldn't see any mention of auto-relock on there. Dealership were meant to call back but not heard anything. I was insisting the man from Ford comes to visit & check the car rather than them just staring at computer screens! The Edge demonstrator there does auto-Relock so I haven't a clue why they are just dismissing it as not being a feature?

Using your VIN to select the manual on the Ford website it states

The doors automatically relock if you do not open a door within 45 seconds of unlocking the doors with the remote control. The door locks and the alarm return to their previous state. You can disable this function from the Information Display.See  General Information

You have checked to see if it has been disabled?. 

5 minutes ago, Jim610 said:

Using your VIN to select the manual on the Ford website it states

The doors automatically relock if you do not open a door within 45 seconds of unlocking the doors with the remote control. The door locks and the alarm return to their previous state. You can disable this function from the Information Display.See  General Information

You have checked to see if it has been disabled?. 

Hi Jim, I'd copied the auto-relock extract from the manual for my model/year & given a copy to the dealer so why they are now saying it's not a feature I haven't a clue & they still haven't called me back to discuss! I have looked on the info display and "relock" doesn't appear as an option so I can't see where you enable or disable it. I think I need to make a call to the dealer......again ;-)

Just tried mine. Titanium with sync3. Relocked at exactly 45 seconds.  

I've got a call due to my dealer. No word on auto-relock for mine and I've already given them the exert from the manual. I can't say that I'm impressed...

20 hours ago, Yetiman65 said:

Hi Jim, I'd copied the auto-relock extract from the manual for my model/year & given a copy to the dealer so why they are now saying it's not a feature I haven't a clue & they still haven't called me back to discuss! I have looked on the info display and "relock" doesn't appear as an option so I can't see where you enable or disable it. I think I need to make a call to the dealer......again ;-)

Just for info, I did notice that while mine works as expected, there is also no Relock option in my Locks menu either. But the fact it is a potential configurable option sounds to me that its set to disabled in your case. Just needs a service tool plugging in.

Like Simonb65 I also dont have the Relock option in my Locks menu. Dealer could not fix relock problem and had to get Ford engineer in who had to reprogram several modules. Does anyone have the Relock option in thier Locks menu once Ford have fixed it. For the lucky people where it has always worked is the Relock option available in the Locks menu and what other options do you have in that menu. I only have Autolock, Mislock, Unlocking and Switches Inhibit. The manual also has Autounlock 

Mine has always worked but oddly do not have the relock option listed in my locks menu. My options seem to be the same as yours

On 12 June 2017 at 2:32 PM, Yetiman65 said:

Having spoken to the service department again yesterday they now tell me "auto-relock" wasn't a feature on a 2012* Edge so what that has got to do with my 2016 Edge, who knows? They seem to now accept it is meant to be a feature on the 2016/2017 Edge so I'm back to asking them to arrange for the Ford Engineer to physically come to the dealership & re-programme the modules as I've asked them to before & even quoted other Edge owners on here who have confirmed that is what is required. I now await a call from them.....again.

* I did point out the Edge only appeared in the UK in 2016

How ridiculous! I wonder if the "it's not fitted" is a standard EH line...  If they'd told me that it wasn't fitted to a 2012 Edge, I'd have probably told them that it wasn't fitted to a 1975 Cortina either. I'm not sure of the relevance... Idiots! 

On 08/06/2017 at 3:51 PM, bluepeter said:

Hi All finally got the Auto-Relock  sorted by local garage, Ford engineer had to sort it , but did say that certain new edges would not be able to have the Auto -Relock re programmed all depended on the edge they send from the factory, So yeti and xn would think its worth getting your dealer to request a engineer . 

Peter, could I ask which dealer you went to to get your relock enabled. My dealer is saying it's not available in my car and cannot be made available...

Hi X sorry been away, but it was jennings ford stockton on tees branch that sorted mine out, keep at them its in the handbook and not as a option so should work.

23 hours ago, bluepeter said:

Hi X sorry been away, but it was jennings ford stockton on tees branch that sorted mine out, keep at them its in the handbook and not as a option so should work.

Thank you. I've tried taking it up with Ford Customer service too, but so far one week in I've just been asked to answer stupid questions first. I've quoted both publications of the handbook as well as their disclaimer that it was correct at the time of print.

Back at the dealers next week with my wife's car (they've just replaced the discs and pads under warranty and now are replacing the clutch pedal mechanism, too) so will be taking a harder stance now...

• 1 month later...

Hi,

My Edge was built August 2016 and would not auto relock, did not consider this sufficiently important to incur all the hassle and inconvenience of taking it to the dealers just for this. However, when it had to go in for the side airbag recall I thought now was the time to get this sorted. Got the car back from this work after being told all the work was completed only to find that they hadn't bothered looking at this particular concern just totally ignored it, they got a snotty email from me complaining about this lack of service for which they were very apologetic. It went back into today for this work and I have just got it back, they changed the body control module and did a reconfiguration and this now feature now works as intended, hurrah!

I have taken this up with Ford head office (it's amazing the difference in attitude from Ford CRC following me copying in the CEO to my email...). I have been told that auto relock is not fitted but I am waiting for a call (tomorrow) to say how they plan to address this.

combined with an ultra sensitive key which has 100m range and I am frequently finding my car unlocked. I cannot carry the key in my pocket for fear of unlocking the car inadvertently. I suspected that the BCM might be the cause. I had this replaced on my Kuga and think it was plug and go... 

I've given up trying to get the auto relock sorted on mine, it's been into Evans Halshaw 4 times to get fixed. I'm now told Ford Technical have confirmed it's not available on my "early build" Edge & that's that. They couldn't sort out the driver's door wind noise either so I just have to play the music louder when travelling at over 40mph!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club