Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Traction control on slushy inclines

wealdman

Never before in 50 years of driving have I been so embarrassed by a tiny smidgeon of slushy ice as today. At the top of a gentle incline I paused to join a main road (for those who know Tunbridge Wells, the junction of Montacute Road with Frant Road), went to drive away and couldn't. Wheels spun a bit, traction control instantly cut power and I was going nowhere! Gentle with clutch, gentle with gas – nothing helped. Fortunately the driver in the queue behind had left a little space so after an agonising minute (which felt like ages) I could roll back, go forward again sawing steering left and right and just barely make an undignified escape.

If I'd had a Zetec S instead of a Titanium I could have switched traction control off but would it have helped?

Does anyone have experience of getting a Ford dealer to fit the “off” switch to a Titanium?

Do Fiesta buyers in Continental Europe get traction control with an “off” switch?

Other vehicles in the queue ahead had taken off with no obvious problem. I must say I'm very disappointed by the Fiesta's lack of grip. :angry:

Any thoughts and experiences?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• InstructorPiggy

• Jonny87

• KeithC

• MarkyR

Never before in 50 years of driving have I been so embarrassed by a tiny smidgeon of slushy ice as today. At the top of a gentle incline I paused to join a main road (for those who know Tunbridge Wells, the junction of Montacute Road with Frant Road), went to drive away and couldn't. Wheels spun a bit, traction control instantly cut power and I was going nowhere! Gentle with clutch, gentle with gas – nothing helped. Fortunately the driver in the queue behind had left a little space so after an agonising minute (which felt like ages) I could roll back, go forward again sawing steering left and right and just barely make an undignified escape.

If I'd had a Zetec S instead of a Titanium I could have switched traction control off but would it have helped?

Does anyone have experience of getting a Ford dealer to fit the “off” switch to a Titanium?

Do Fiesta buyers in continental Europe get traction control with an “off” switch?

Other vehicles in the queue ahead had taken off with no obvious problem. I must say I'm very disappointed by the Fiesta's lack of grip. :angry:

swiching it off i think would not of helpd in the new fiesta i have a zetec s

it is really bad in the snow or ice!

soo are the breaks one little tiny bit off ice its stupid

really have 2 drive carefull in the snow and ice in the new fiesta

but in norml weather it is a lovely car to drive do you agree?

i had a very similar incident as you trying to reverse up my flat driveway only i was driving my sri zafira! took me ages and i could see the neighbours looking at me failing thankfully i have an off button, soon as i press it off i went! lol

swiching it off i think would not of helpd in the new fiesta i have a zetec s

it is really bad in the snow or ice!

soo are the breaks one little tiny bit off ice its stupid

really have 2 drive carefull in the snow and ice in the new fiesta

but in norml weather it is a lovely car to drive do you agree?

Having the ability to switch traction control in snowy weather is almost essential imo. If the traction control cuts off spinning wheels, then you're less likely to get grip and therefore less likely to go anywhere.

I've only got a Zetec so I don't have the traction control, but I live on a pretty steep hill that the council don't grip, I had no problem getting up there today but many other cars was struggling. A poor zafira had to give up and go back down because he had spun around. My wheels were spinning, but that gave me some traction and I got up there. If I'd had the traction control I don't think I would have gone anywhere quick!

I havent had any problems at all and i have a few hill starts everyday. I have been sitting there wheel spinning for a while but the traction control never cuts the power.

ABS n ESP or any sort of traction control just aint designed for ice/snow, the systems get rather confused as to why what they are doing isn't working!! Think I said before I have known them just to crash and do nothing! Lol!

ESP on the fiesta is also a very basic system, as pointed out, it just cuts the power...pretty useless in all situations if you ask me...but especially in snow/ice as pointed out...

I think there should be switches for the ESP and ABS...the old quattro used to...very handy in such weather....

Glad most got home safe though :) apart from that newbie who stopped using a lamppost :o

ABS n ESP or any sort of traction control just aint designed for ice/snow, the systems get rather confused as to why what they are doing isn't working!! Think I said before I have known them just to crash and do nothing! Lol!

ESP on the fiesta is also a very basic system, as pointed out, it just cuts the power...pretty useless in all situations if you ask me...but especially in snow/ice as pointed out...

I think there should be switches for the ESP and ABS...the old quattro used to...very handy in such weather....

Glad most got home safe though :) apart from that newbie who stopped using a lamppost :o

Ooo not the best thing to use ro stop your car haha!

Mine doesnt cut the power, i think its broken to be honest.

But i agree there should be a switch in all models, would be much better.

The newbie, poor guy and his MK8 lol. I really should have got one instead of my mk7 :P Maybe he was playing with the hand break?

The newbie, poor guy and his MK8 lol. I really should have got one instead of my mk7 :P Maybe he was playing with the hand break?

irony there, no?!? :lol:

IMO after today it's crap. Had to go down a snowy icy incline to get into work and I was very gentle but had to use the brakes and when I did it was like a pneumatic drill going through the peddle!!! I guess that was the ol ABS and ESP trying to 'do it's job'

I will also remember about switching the ESP off tomorrow if I need to.

Does anyone know the best tyre pressures for the ZetecS and 17" Ford wheels in the snow and ice? Should it be the standard pressure or the heavy load pressure?

By the way, on a side note, these launch control systems that are in for instance the Nissan GTR, they are NOT for launch control from a standing start flooring it but are apparently to help you in the snow, build the revs up and the systems supposed to increase your grip in the snow.

Have turned it off on the Zetec-S going up the road here, it keeps on trying to brake in the ice.

My esp didnt work for the first 12 months. It was found out at the first service. My car is just the same as the guy in the first post with esp on, works better in snow when switched off for me.

Just a silly question, how many of you have real winter tires on your FoFi`s and not stock summer tires?

Just a silly question, how many of you have real winter tires on your FoFi`s and not stock summer tires?

more the question...whats the point...we just wimps to be honest...not much need here...be over in a week and be changing tyres again...see the need in Slovaki, Poland, Sweden etc, but just no need here.

:)

Does anyone know the best tyre pressures for the ZetecS and 17" Ford wheels in the snow and ice? Should it be the standard pressure or the heavy load pressure?

Anyone?? :( :(

Anyone?? :( :(

best up a few PSi...I was argued with over this as the great and wonderful AA said lower pressure but any normal sane person knows more grip in slippy conditions from slighter higher PSI, go for just 3/4psi per tyre, will do the trick.

It decreases surface area and firms that small area up, increasing bite, it also helps the tyre get some heat, as there is a smaller area to warm up!

I was just about to post this exact thread!

Very very nearly didnt make it up my road just now, almost reached the point of leaving it half way up my street!

Has been quite interesting seeing all of the safety gizmos cutting in though! Even though I really dont think any of it has actually been useful.

Driving around town on very slippery roads and I dont think that more than 25 seconds went by without something kicking in

In the BM this morning, snow on top of ice, I tried with traction controlDSC on, just felt like I had the handbrake on in 5th and without it on, I could have done whatever speed I liked, on the spot. Eventually I'd have dug a hole in the tarmac. So left it on, in 5th and trundled to the end of our road at about 5mph tops. At least having DSC on stops you going sideways too much.

In the BM this morning, snow on top of ice, I tried with traction controlDSC on, just felt like I had the handbrake on in 5th and without it on, I could have done whatever speed I liked, on the spot. Eventually I'd have dug a hole in the tarmac. So left it on, in 5th and trundled to the end of our road at about 5mph tops. At least having DSC on stops you going sideways too much.

:lol:

best up a few PSi...I was argued with over this as the great and wonderful AA said lower pressure but any normal sane person knows more grip in slippy conditions from slighter higher PSI, go for just 3/4psi per tyre, will do the trick.

It decreases surface area and firms that small area up, increasing bite, it also helps the tyre get some heat, as there is a smaller area to warm up!

Thanks buddy think I'll set them to the max load psi if we get any snow, have to do it anyway as I'm driving my parents to my sisters for chrimbo, and the dog!!!

And Kieth you are a rebel and how does the M3 cope with 5th and 5mph!!!

One place you have no air in the tyres is Iceland with those monster truck thingy's.

Did a lot of Wintery miles today and some of them were fairly interesting, lets put it that way! Totally agree with everyone who said ABS is completely useless on snow/ice, the pneumatic drill reference really sums it up for me, you get that moment where you've already banged it into 1st and you're on the brakes on a sheet of ice sliding towards a junction thinking 'this could get interesting!' :huh:

Not sure about the ESP/traction control in the snow though yet, it definitely cut in a lot and the little light was flashing away but I couldn't really be sure what it was doing. I thought it would completely take control and give exactly as much power as was needed to keep traction in the slippery conditions (got this idea after watching 5th gear episode with Tiff Needell driving a Jag X-type up an icy hill with ESP/TC off and on again to demonstrate - obviously it was faultless in this case and powered on up the hill with the ESP on, but didn't move with it off.). Anyway so I got to the bottom of a steep icy hill that I wanted to go up and proceeded with quite a bit of throttle. Got about 15m up the hill and then little Fez couldn't do any more! It was interesting though that the ESP did not kill the power completely at all, the wheels would still spin away even when the car was completely stationary. Resolution procedure - roll slowly back down the hill and have a bit of a bigger run up... mission accomplished! Saying that, it's important to note that the ESP can't defy the limitiations of the car or the conditions... if there's not enough traction to be had then it can't do anything about it.

I did notice some of the beneficial side of ESP/TC today though, when I was having a little play afterwards in a car park. If you just floor the throttle in first like a pleb on the ice, the system will cut in appropriately and limit the power to the wheels considerably whilst still allowing a fair bit of slip, to let you gather some speed. This could come in handy if you needed to take evasive action in these kind of conditions rather than having the wheels spin themselves into oblivion.

Must admit that the mk7 doesn't feel as composed as my mk6 did in these conditions, perhaps because it had 15's instead of my wider 17's or maybe because the engine was smaller or it had no ESP/TC.

thats the problem see with the petrols...in the diesel zetecS you just pull away in 2nd, no revs and she just goes, into third, no throttle, keeps going, up/down hills, loverly :)

but GREAT control..you want some slip, you can perfectly control boost on the throttle, a lot of fun in the carpark, get it to slip and grip just when wanted... big grins :)

no ESP to get in the way either!!

Do Fiesta buyers in continental Europe get traction control with an “off” switch?

how do you turn off the esp in zetec s?

how do you turn off the esp in zetec s?

button fitted by Ford...think it an optional extra you need to ask for :)

or not to sound like a big head...but like me, don't get it! :lol:

button fitted by Ford...think it an optional extra you need to ask for :)

or not to sound like a big head...but like me, don't get it! :lol:

I didn't even realise you could get the button/not get it, i've only had a small journey in the ice and it hasn't done anything for me yet

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club