Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Glasgow to Oxford in my Ecoboost - am I mad?

Kateysan

Looking for a bit of advice, not strictly Fiesta related but is in a way I guess as I'm driving one! I'm touring around U.K. soon and had planned on doing the drive from Glasgow to Oxford in my 100 PS Ecoboost Fiesta, no overnight stopover. Am I crazy? 

The route planners are saying about 5.5 hours but is that even a reality? Any advice would be really appreciated!

Can't see why you'd need to stop overnight it's only 360 miles. I used to do it a couple of times a month (Glasgow to Stevenage, about the same distance) took me about 7 hours with a half hour break at a service station for a cup of tea and a pee.

• Like 2

Easy that. I find the Fiesta quite comfortable on long journeys too. 

I did Stoke to Edinburgh none stop in ridiculous conditions in December. 

And we do Stoke to St Ives Cornwall every summer. With just a couple of stops on the way as we travel through the night 

• Like 2

Cheers guys. Was more worried the route planners were way off as they give you the 'no traffic' 'no incidents ahead' version! I'm not looking forward to it but to me it was preferable to stopping somewhere I'd no interest in being!

If you are doing all the driving yourself, allow for a couple of 20min breaks at least and you will be fine. Google directions/maps is pretty accurate time wise on UK roads from my experience. Especially since you will only be using major roads. I normally check it before I start.  

I've driven Dundee to Plymouth in an old 1.2 petrol Clio a number of time. Can vary from ~10hrs to ~12hrs including stops. Once took 17hrs, but that was because of a very bad accident on the M6. Even on that trip however, Google adjusted itself and i still arrived within 15min of when it said i would. 

• Like 2

I did St Ives (cornwall) to Oxford and back again all in one evening/Night/Morning in a box citroen C3 (courtesy car) you'll be fine!

Edited by alexp999
swearing
  • Like 1

I used to do Liverpool to Kinloss every other weekend in a 1.0 corsa back in 1999-2003 (had the corsa 2000-2002) and it was fine, never missed a beat. Did inverness to Oxford in 10hrs too and it was fine.

Plan regular breaks along your journey, at least 20mins every 2 hrs or so. That's the best advice I've got [emoji52] enjoy the drive and stay safe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

As others have said give yourself a decent break every couple of hours and if you are a coffee drinker, take some strong coffee with you!

Other than that, enjoy the drive!!  Do you have cruise control?

• Like 2

in a few months im doing telford (near Birmingham) to newquay cornwall no cruise control following behind my dad in towing a caravan in the past before i drove it would take about 6-7 hours depending on traffic and maybe one break, cant wait to get some Cornish photos with a photo bombing fiesta

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AlexBartlam said:

in a few months im doing telford (near Birmingham) to newquay cornwall no cruise control following behind my dad in towing a caravan in the past before i drove it would take about 6-7 hours depending on traffic and maybe one break, cant wait to get some Cornish PASTIES with a photo bombing fiesta

Fixed for you. :tongue:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alexp999 said:

Fixed for you. :tongue:

yeah and that got to love a steak and potato pasty haha 

I'd probably look like a pasty if I lived in Cornwall

• Like 2

Depends on you but I wouldnt stop over, I did over 600 last year from Santander to Malaga with a pee break here and there.

• Like 1

The most I have done is about 500km across Europe in a day, so not heavy and it was fine although a little tiring. That said it was comfortable. In general just make sure you stop, about every 90 minutes (approx, and is what is usually recommended for safety), even if just for 10 minutes to stretch the legs and get out. I know it sounds extreme but you will feel better for it and also safer. The issue is more likely to be fatigue rather than the car itself.

The Fiesta is a nice little car even for long trips and is pretty fuel efficient - I have the same one as you. 

• Like 1

On 4/4/2017 at 2:42 PM, jmurray01 said:

As others have said give yourself a decent break every couple of hours and if you are a coffee drinker, take some strong coffee with you!

Other than that, enjoy the drive!!  Do you have cruise control?

No cruise control, don't do enough motorway driving in Ireland to warrant it. Old fashioned driving all the way!!

Thanks guys!! Appreciate the advice, a few friends were saying I was mad to attempt it but I'm stubborn like that :angry:

So lessons learnt: regular rest stops, eat pasties, pee every 20 mins, look longingly at cars with cruise control, invent car games to relieve the boredom, pray to the motorway Gods that there are no accidents en route and make sure the hotel has a cold glass of something ready the second I arrive!

Got it :blink:

• Like 2

The sort of journey a long distance lorry driver would do every day of their working week, so a one off trip of that distance should be no bother.

Just take it at your own pace and enjoy the drive and hope for some luck with the traffic.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old post, but I like to browse the forum, 

anyways my 10 pence worth, when I picked up my fiesta on May 31st, I left WEYMOUTH at 1pm, drove to STAFFORD in a hire car, had to be there for 5pm...on a Friday, with the M5 and M6 traffic!!! I must of been mad! Anyway, got up there at 5:15ish,  dropped the hire car off, took a taxi to Arnold Clark to pick up the car, did the paperwork, then jumped back on the M6, M5 all the way back to WEYMOUTH...finally pulled up at 11pm. was absolutely knackered haha

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club