Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2010 Mondeo 1.8 tdci wont start

Jensen

Hi There

2010 Mondeo Estate 1.8 tdci titanium

Mileage: 125,000

Condition: Like new in all aspects

Service: Full service history - Extremely well looked after

I have a 2010 1.8 tdci Mondeo estate titanium I have owned the car for 3 years now and its been great to me so far - I went out yesterday morning to start the car to let it warm up in the back garden before my journey to work ( As I always do ), It started OK but cut out about 5 seconds later - It turns over on the starter motor fine with a great strong battery but just wont even attempt to start - It almost like fuel starvation.

This is the first & only time this car has let me down to date & the previous owner said he never had any issues with it in his three years of owning it ( Company car well documented service )

The car was fully serviced by myself just 6 weeks ago with all new filters, This car gets anything it needs plus more as I like to look after my car

Timing belt kits both wet & dry all changed at 90,000 miles along with water pump & coolant

Have tried disconnecting the battery for a couple of hours & opening & closing the locking by key & remote thinking it might be an immobiliser issue but still no joy

Going to hook up my diagnostic computer tonight but no EML light on

First thoughts were fuel have unplugged a few electrical connections under the bonnet around the fuel rail & fuel pump to inspect connections, I am now thinking its a fuel issue so going to remove the fuel filter and check for fuel

Doesn't appear to be a buzz from the primary pump in the tank upon ignition lights ( but to be honest cant remember how loud or noticeable this was even when it was starting OK )

Could it be Alarm /  Immobiliser ?   Primary or Secondary fuel pumps ? 

Giving the mileage on it maybe one of the fuel pumps has ran its course

Also put £40 of diesel in it on Sunday from a BP garage - All my fords run on BP Only

Any ideas guys ?

Hi

Wee update - Removed the fuel filter housing on the side of the cylinder head and took the top of it, Housing only a third filled with diesel - topped it up with diesel, resealed it and refitted it to the engine bay, Cranked it over and it started and then cut out 5-7 seconds later

Suspect primary fuel pump in tank - Cant get a brand new fuel pump anywhere from a parts store so looking like a dealer part only

Cant wait to price this ?

If it's the main 'high pressure' pump then I wouldn't expected much change from £600 for a brand new one :wallbash:

Update - Car not operating as it should

Brand new fuel filter again..! Topped up the filter head housing 3 times and bled the injectors at the metallic pipes and she started and has been running grand ever since

Note to self - Don't ever stray away from BP fuel again

Problem was water & debris in the fuel filter & housing

Thanks for all the 1 of replies...!

• Like 1

I'm surprised you didn't get more responses mate, this forum is full of smart and friendly people (normally).

Glad to hear it's sorted out!

• 3 years later...

Hi iv had the same problem  with my car 1.8 tdci titanium mondeo  2010, my mate plugged his computer in and fuel pressure valve fault came up, iv changed one as iv now found theres 2 valves, still got the problem but due to coronavirus cant get much done about it, can anyone shed any light please, or shall I just change the other valve too, changed the kinda dumpy one  the other one is more cylindrical in shape. Dont know enough about engines sorry, cheers guys  in advance for any replys.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club