Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK1 - Heavy steering and pedals

MM92

Hi all,

As of yesterday the steering in my MK1 Focus seems to have got a a bit heavier. I'm not having to put much effort into turning, pretty much the same as usual but there's definitely a weight on it.

Also, the pedals seem to feel heavy as well. Not sure if that's the correct way of mentioning it but they seem harder than usual.

I checked my power steering fluid level, that's right at the top. The car still drives in a straight line and breaks in a straight line.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

I don't see how the pedals in general can feel heavy. all three pedals perform different functions and have no relation to eachother. there is nothing that would create a change in all of them at the same time.

I have large feet, and often when I do  the first manoeuvre after getting into the car, can feel the steering column on my clutch foot, so the immediate question I would have is have you got any sort of mechanical interference up by the pedals, steering shaft, carpet for example?

1 hour ago, isetta said:

I don't see how the pedals in general can feel heavy. all three pedals perform different functions and have no relation to eachother. there is nothing that would create a change in all of them at the same time.

In that case it maybe just a me being paranoid.

1 hour ago, Guzzilazz said:

I have large feet, and often when I do  the first manoeuvre after getting into the car, can feel the steering column on my clutch foot, so the immediate question I would have is have you got any sort of mechanical interference up by the pedals, steering shaft, carpet for example?

I can't feel anything by the pedals, seems as clear as normal.

I noticed that same thing occasionally when I drove the MK1, and put it down to changes in the temperature, but as to how it had an effect I honestly couldn't say.

Thinking about it, would a slightly sticky brake cause something like this?

I had sticky brakes before and replaced the pads, discs etc (no heavy steering from what I remember, though).

The heavy steering feeling could be the bearings on the steering column going stiff due to becoming dry or worn or it could be a sign of the engine mounts being on their way out allowing the engine to drop slightly which would put unwanted pressure on the steering rack and column and the pedals but their again it could just be a simple case of soft worn tyres or lower than normal tyre pressure so i'd check the tyres and put air in them if need be 1st ..

Could it be the onset of old age? :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club