Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear discs

bluepeter

Just clocked up 3700 miles and my rear discs are in a shocking state for the amount of miles they have done, spoke to garage today see what they thought but still waiting a reply from them . worth keeping a eye on yours, just a foot note the front discs are still perfect.

DSCF0947.JPG

DSCF0946.JPG

• Like 1

That's not good- especially with such a long servicing schedule. 

On 05/04/2017 at 4:32 PM, bluepeter said:

Just clocked up 3700 miles and my rear discs are in a shocking state for the amount of miles they have done, spoke to garage today see what they thought but still waiting a reply from them . worth keeping a eye on yours, just a foot note the front discs are still perfect.

DSCF0947.JPG

DSCF0946.JPG

Just checked mine exactly the same and same mileage please let me know how you get on with the dealer as I'll take mine down to get it checked out as well 

Same with my Edge, 4100 miles on the clock, front disks are perfect. Rears look dreadful. 

Please update how you get on. 

Still waiting ford dealer to get back to me , will let you know once they do.

• 2 weeks later...

Update from dealer on scoring on rear disc"s. Dealer states that they are scoring is due to rust being there when i picked car up thus causing the disc to score whilst driving, ok i said if thats the case why hasnt the front discs done the same, answer i dont know. Dealer, well if its not a mechanical defect on the brakes there not covered under warranty.         So in other words live with it.  

That's disappointing, I had the same issue on a new Toyota avensis about 7 years ago. To be honest I never noticed the issue and the dealers told me when I collected it from the first service that the rear discs were no good and had all been replaced under warranty.

I've got an 8 year old focus still on its original discs- which has often stood unused for 9-12 months. 

Surely they should cover them on the warranty for such a young car?

I would complain higher as that is a load of rubbish. 

That's not general wear and tear at that milage. 

Thanks for all the info, i am going to contact ford customer services and put it in there hands, will keep you informed

Don't bother with CRC, waste of space, go straight to head office.

Checked mine today after hitting 1800 miles and they are fine. 

More news, Went to different ford garage to get disc"s checked , they said they need replacing as the grooving was bad for disc"s of that age. Now comes the but, he told me that although they are under warranty for the first year,  they have had they same problems with other Ford cars in the past and had a right fight with Ford as to who pays for the replacements. .  WATCH THIS SPACE.

We're currently trying to get front discs replaced on a 5000 mile EcoSport due to grinding noise when braking and severe grooving of the disc. Is this a problem throughout FORD's range?

• 3 weeks later...

Had my both rear discs and pads changed today under warranty. Garage did say they were in a bad condition.

• Like 1

Good result BP. I checked mine today and they are beginning to score.  Not as bad as yours but I've only done 2500 miles ish. I'll keep an eye on them. My front discs are completely like new and unblemished. 

• 9 months later...

Hi folks

my edge is 1 year old with 9k on the clock. On breaking from about +50mph and above the is a real grinding noise coming from the brakes. Took it in today and said read disc were knackered but pads were fine. Of course not covered by warranty so they are going to ask manager tomorrow if they can sort something out. Can't believe the car has only 9k on the clock and this happens. If I have a problem tomorrow any ideas on what to say/do ?

thanks 

15 hours ago, mcfcjoe said:

Can't believe the car has only 9k on the clock and this happens

Had that on my Mk1 Kuga, changed the badly worn out stock discs when I changed my first set of pads at around 10k. The replacements (auto parts) were still looking reasonable when I sold it at 68k !! Stock ones were shocking.

My Kuga discs were never replaced and I had it for 4 years and around 48,000 miles.  Discs certainly shouldn’t wear out after just 9,000 miles, unless you drive everywhere with your foot on the brake, which I doubt.  Pads, perhaps but discs, no. I would suggest you try to get the dealer to foot the bill, or contact Ford direct.  If you don’t ask, you don’t get.  You have to lay it on thick that you love the car, but this would be enough to prevent you from buying another Ford, if the brake discs are not fit for purpose.  You expect more for £40k. 

Hi All

Just had a look at my discs after 13500 miles.

Both N/S and O/S rear discs look to have the same wear, as do both O/S and N/S fronts.

They look like this

Rear Disc 13500 Miles.jpg

Front Disc 13500 Miles.jpg

Just now, DavesEdge said:

Hi All

Just had a look at my discs after 13500 miles.

Both N/S and O/S rear discs look to have the same wear, as do both O/S and N/S fronts.

They look like this

Rear Disc 13500 Miles.jpg

Front Disc 13500 Miles.jpg

Ps the top picture is the rear disc. The bottom is the front disc

Dave

Update with the rear pads and disc

after the ford garage looked at them and said they need replacing they then said it wasn't covered by the warranty. The car only has 9K on the clock. I complained and insisted I spoke to the manager. After a 10 minute conversation they agreeded to replace then free.

excellent result although scary they need changing after only 9k

• Thanks 1

Do you do a lot of town driving and rarely use the brakes hard?  Or leave the car standing for days at a time?

Discs get corroded pretty quickly when they're not used regularly but will last ages on a daily high miler.

Good result Joe.  Well done.  Correct solution. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club