Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Have I got locking wheel nuts?

Ashneedham

Hi,

I have just this evening driven home in my new used Kuga 2011 and was searching high and low for the locking wheel nut key.

i couldn't find it but I then inspected the wheels and noticed only 1 out of 4 of the wheels had a different nut see attached 

the odd nut has a hollowed out centre with thread. 

Do the nuts have caps and would a locking nut have a cap?

I would check with the dealer but they were closed by the time I got home and I won't have much time this weekend.

thanks for any info

IMG_2661.JPG

IMG_2662.JPG

No, you've just lost one of the caps. You don't have a locking nut.

The standard nuts have a poorly designed cap that comes off quite easily. I've wrecked 3 personally and moved on to third party solid nuts. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, jbell said:

No, you've just lost one of the caps. You don't have a locking nut.

The standard nuts have a poorly designed cap that comes off quite easily. I've wrecked 3 personally and moved on to third party solid nuts. 

Thanks jbell I did think that might be the case but I assumed locking wheels nuts where standard fit in recent years. 

That has put my mind at ease, off to eBay now for some caps 

• Like 1

If you do require locking nuts then take a look at McGard ones.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

If you do require locking nuts then take a look at McGard ones.

Thanks, I will bear that in mind 

• Like 2

On Saturday, April 08, 2017 at 6:49 AM, Ashneedham said:

Thanks, I will bear that in mind 

Your best off investing in a cross wheel brace aswell as some McGard lock nuts mate,

For nuts are 19mm foil wrapped cheese, when the foul comes off they become 18mm cheese, if you were to try remove the nut with no foil; using the supplied wheel brace it's going to warp the head on your wheel brace and ring the head of the nut because it's made of cheese notice the rounded edges on this nut where the cap has moved on the nut rounding it's shape👇

IMG_20130324_162754_zpsfe74ed86_edit_149

And here's the warped wheel brace from the above nut

IMG_20140802_123118_zpsoipyw1ca.jpg

IMG_20140802_123113_zpsfxxudt6i.jpg

The cross wheel brace has both 19mm and 18mm sockets to fit both 

IMG_20140802_123356_zpswv7uhq4d.jpg

Happened me and I spent 70GBP on some 19mm steel nuts donated all the old ones to my local tyre shop whom also agreed with me and that was back in 2012 

IMG_20130314_122806_zps87b2dd2c.jpg

it's worse when the cover slips around the nut making it circular then you have to get a flat head screwdriver & hammer to pierce the centre and eh pull them off so to speak😐 yeah

Image2006.jpg

IMG_20130324_153641_zpscf248324.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Spent forever pulling my caps off the nuts so I could get the bloomin things off. Replaced with some solid piece nuts (which have unfortunately tarnished, but I have silver caps for them!).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Micro said:

Spent forever pulling my caps off the nuts so I could get the bloomin things off. Replaced with some solid piece nuts (which have unfortunately tarnished, but I have silver caps for them!).

I was parked beside a neighbours 2016 RangeRover today and the nuts look to be identical to those ford fitted, I'm surprised to see them also fitted to such a refind piece of engineering.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club