Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sync 3 Navigation - road speed limit

IanJ37

The sync 3 sat nav on my late (December) 2016 focus titanium x doesn't display the road speed limit, which I hope it's supposed to, and I'm trying to work out why.

The pictures showing the navigation screen displaying the speed limit seems to have disappeared from the Ford UK web site so I'm not sure whether that functionality was ever delivered as part of sync 3. The issue is slightly complicated as I have traffic sign recognition (best yet is it saying it's seen a 120mph sign) and I'm not sure how the two are supposed to interact in sync 3. My Focus was ordered in August from the previous brochure (sync 2) which said there was full integration between the sign recognition and the sat nav so that if no speed limit sign was seen the speed limit from the sat nav map would be displayed. This doesn't happen with mine - I can drive round for ages in a 30 limit and unless it sees a sign nothing is displayed.

So, I'd be grateful if anyone with sync 3 sat nav could advise whether the speed limit is displayed and if anyone has the sat nav and the traffic sign recognition could let me know what they get displayed and where (nav screen or traffic sign recognition display) I can decide whether I have a faulty system.

Many thanks for your help.

Ian

Same Sync 3 System in mine. There are no speed limits displayed within the Nav Map. All the speed limits are shown in the Traffic Sign display (within the speedo)

From what you describe you have an issue with your setup. If mine doesn't detect another sign (within a mile or so) it defaults to the speed standard for the road type which can only come from the mapping data.

Its not prefect on my travels its detected the odd 30 as 80. As for your 120mph i wonder if your Sync 3 system is in KPH and not MPH as 120KPH is about 60 in MPH

Hope this helps

"as 120KPH is about 60 in MPH",   120kph is 75mph

Chris  - thanks for the information, that's very helpful, I now know it should work! By an issue with my setup do you mean you have an option to turn on using map data when a sign hasn't been seen? I have checked all the menus. There are no options in the Sync 3 sat nav set up to do this and on the small information screen the only options I have for the traffic sign recognition are on or off and then at what speed over the speed limit should it warn me. 

Thanks

On ‎08‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 8:20 PM, IanJ37 said:

So, I'd be grateful if anyone with sync 3 sat nav could advise whether the speed limit is displayed and if anyone has the sat nav and the traffic sign recognition could let me know what they get displayed and where (nav screen or traffic sign recognition display) I can decide whether I have a faulty system.

Many thanks for your help.

Ian

My Sync 3 nav screen shows the road speed limit in the bottom left side of the map screen. I don't have the sign recognition.

On 09/04/2017 at 8:19 PM, IanJ37 said:

Chris  - thanks for the information, that's very helpful, I now know it should work! By an issue with my setup do you mean you have an option to turn on using map data when a sign hasn't been seen? I have checked all the menus. There are no options in the Sync 3 sat nav set up to do this and on the small information screen the only options I have for the traffic sign recognition are on or off and then at what speed over the speed limit should it warn me. 

Thanks

No option it just defaults to another road speed if it doesn't spot a speed sign I assume this comes from the mapping data

Interesting Avi says the speed of the road is shown in the bottom left of the map Haven't noticed myself. Will check this out

Either way Ian your setup not picking up the signs is weird. Dealership visit prehaps Is the car infotainment set up for the UK 120 to my mind is only a valid speed on the continent

Thanks for all your help. The system is definitely set up for mph, to be fair I think a few spurious signs are to be expected and at least the ones I'm getting are very clearly incorrect. You are right about a dealer trip being needed but to try and go armed with information I rang the Ford UK technical information line (£1 a minute!!) and after going off and searching (fortunately they rang me back, I didn't have to hold on) the answer is that it used to work as I expect in Sync 2 but they don't know how it Is designed to work on a focus with sync 3!

It's booked in with the dealer at the beginning of May so I'll report back then.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 8:38 PM, volts said:

Interesting Avi says the speed of the road is shown in the bottom left of the map Haven't noticed myself. Will check this out

Yup my Sync 3 defo shows a circular road sign image (red border with white centre and black numbers) to the right of the road name/number on the full nav screen. So far it seems pretty accurate and shows changes in limit at the point a real road sign indicates a change. 

• 4 months later...

I have exactly the same Titanium X model and vintage of Focus as Ian with exactly the same problem.

I added the driver assistance pack to the car. It's supposed to pick up speed limit and other signs with the on-board camera and display them in the instrument cluster. I thought it would be a useful addition to the sat nav but what happens is that the sat nav doesn't display any limits and the cluster display is of limited use because the sign fades away quite (or in the case of the national speed limit sign) very quickly. So you can't have a quick glance to remind yourself as with a sat nav and the whole system doesn't begin to work until the camera picks up the first imit. Worse still, the little gizmo that tells you when you exceed the speed limit by a number you set doesn't work at all in national speed limit because the sign doesn't stay in the cluster for more than about ten seconds.

I should have just stuck with the sat nav, I think.

Any thoughts?

• 8 months later...

Speed displayed is definitely linked to satnav. A road I use with a 60mph limit displays as 30mph on dash because a couple of years ago the speed was temporarily reduced for road works.

This completely renders the system useless in my opinion as the speed doesn't update despite passing two perfectly legible national speed limit sign.

I wish there was a way of turning off the satnav data.

My sign recognition has shown 100 and 80 then I realised why. It was because I was sat behind a foreign lorry displaying those speed limit stickers on the back!

no speed limits display in my nav screen. 

• Haha 1

• 6 months later...

I've posted before and thought I'd come back to this to see where we are.

Like the poster above no speed limit appears on the nav screen in mine though occasionally a speed comes up in the cluster which bears no relation to anything including figures on the back of lorries.

I've not updated the Sync 3 in my car yet but doubt that would make any difference.

Unfortunately, as far as I can find out the update to my original post is 'in our dreams'!

It would appear that when you purchase the traffic sign recognition package the display of the speed limit on the sat nav screen is disabled. The basis for this unknown but I imagine it may well be that it is quite possible for the speed limit on the sat nav to be different to that picked up on local road signs, e.g. reduced speed limit in road works, and Ford feels that despite us having the intelligence to write the cheque or enter the PIN to pay for the car we will be completely confused if we are presented with two different speed limits so you only get one!

i have displayed speed limit but no info about camera etc. wich its a shame and im using waze.

On 4/24/2018 at 10:05 PM, firstandlast said:

Speed displayed is definitely linked to satnav. A road I use with a 60mph limit displays as 30mph on dash because a couple of years ago the speed was temporarily reduced for road works.

This completely renders the system useless in my opinion as the speed doesn't update despite passing two perfectly legible national speed limit sign.

I wish there was a way of turning off the satnav data.

I'm finding something similar with my Mk 8 Fiesta. When I first got the car in March, I was pretty impressed with the speed limit display. As time has gone on, I'm finding more and more that it displays a different (usually lower) limit to that on the road signs. Eg, a dual carriageway nearby has had rolling roadworks, subject to average speed cameras for most of this year. The car picked up the 40 limit when it was in force, but now the works are finishsd, it is still showing 40. Similarly, when driving outside my local area, I find a lower limit being displayed, presumably for the same reason. So you don't really know what the actual prevailing limit is. As my reason for specifying the traffic sign recognition was to help avoid speeding, this is most annoying!

So do you have sat nav and traffic sign recognition? I can't quite follow where the lower speed is being displayed. Is it in the instrument cluster? Is it coming from the sat nav stored data do you think? If it's in the instrument cluster diesn't the traffic sign recognition override it?

Thanks.

On 11/3/2018 at 1:32 PM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I'm finding something similar with my Mk 8 Fiesta. When I first got the car in March, I was pretty impressed with the speed limit display. As time has gone on, I'm finding more and more that it displays a different (usually lower) limit to that on the road signs. Eg, a dual carriageway nearby has had rolling roadworks, subject to average speed cameras for most of this year. The car picked up the 40 limit when it was in force, but now the works are finishsd, it is still showing 40. SMimilarly, when driving outside my local area, I find a lower limit being displayed, presumably for the same reason. So you don't really know what the actual prevailing limit is. As my reason for specifying the traffic sign recognition was to help avoid speeding, this is most annoying!

Just to clarify the above post. I shouldn't have used the term "speed limit display" The Fiesta Mk 8 has the Traffic Sign Recognition which displays in the instrument cluster only, not on the Sync 3 screen, though I do have satnav. I understand the system works partly by the front facing camera picking up signs as you pass them, supplemented by data from the Sat nav. When I lose GPS signal as reported on other threads, the system has to rely on camera only, which often means no traffic signs are displayed.

What I am finding is the TSR occasionally displaying a limit sign which is lower than that displayed at the roadside.

Apologies for any confusion!

15 hours ago, pragmatix said:

I just read the signs😂

1436795112_DSC_00362.thumb.JPG.f62aeba0e161b744419c2cd37d147bee.JPG

Like this 30 sign I recently complained to my local council about?😀 Clue: it's in the bushes on the right!

4 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

1436795112_DSC_00362.thumb.JPG.f62aeba0e161b744419c2cd37d147bee.JPG

Like this 30 sign I recently complained to my local council about?😀 Clue: it's in the bushes on the right!

I'm pretty sure the TSR won't be able to pick that up either... :laugh: 

48 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I'm pretty sure the TSR won't be able to pick that up either... :laugh: 

Oddly enough, it does! The camera obviously can't see it but the TSR display changes when I pass the bushes, so it must pick it up from GPS data - when it's working!😀

Edit: ps - the handbook says "If your vehicle has a navigation system, stored traffic sign data may influence the indicated speed limit value". So the system may be "remembering" what the sign in the bush displayed when it was still visible. I wonder if this might explain the apparent conflict mentioned in other posts, between the sign at the roadside and that displayed by the TSR. Perhaps in locations where there has been a long term temporary limit, the system is still "remembering" the temporary road signs. I've been experiencing this on a dual carriageway near my home where roadworks caused a "temporary" limit for 1 0 months. Even though the works are now ended, the TSR has continued displaying the temporary limit - until yesterday, when it reverted to 70 - perhaps it only.

Edited by Eric Bloodaxe
Extra paragraph
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Oddly enough, it does! The camera obviously can't see it but the TSR display changes when I pass the bushes, so it must pick it up from GPS data - when it's working!😀

Edit: ps - the handbook says "If your vehicle has a navigation system, stored traffic sign data may influence the indicated speed limit value". So the system may be "remembering" what the sign in the bush displayed when it was still visible. I wonder if this might explain the apparent conflict mentioned in other posts, between the sign at the roadside and that displayed by the TSR. Perhaps in locations where there has been a long term temporary limit, the system is still "remembering" the temporary road signs. I've been experiencing this on a dual carriageway near my home where roadworks caused a "temporary" limit for 1 0 months. Even though the works are now ended, the TSR has continued displaying the temporary limit - until yesterday, when it reverted to 70 - perhaps it only "remembers"  for a while??

Quick addition to above - ran out of editing time!!😀

Mine is supposed to work the same as Roger's with stored data supplementing what the camera picks up from the roadside signs. But I don't think it does, because if it did my sign in the instrument cluster would show 30 in the large urban area where I live. It shows nothing until the camers spots the first posted limit.

And on motorways the stored data in the satnav (if there is any) should keep a 70 sign permanently displayed subject to anything else the camera picks up to display. It doesn't. So the gizmo you can set to warn when you break the speed limit doesn't work either.

I see there are lots of other makes these days with forward facing cameras. If these have satnav they may have resolved this issue and could advise Ford.

I think you can get to reliant on technology, nice when it works but sign recognition it a bit to sketchy for my liking.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2018 at 12:26 PM, pragmatix said:

I think you can get to reliant on technology, nice when it works but sign recognition it a bit to sketchy for my liking.

I 100% agree, whilst it's nice to have a few new toys to play with, it's generally not hard to know what the speed limit is for the area being driven in.  (If anyone finds this task difficult on a regular basis I suspect that you really shouldn't be driving at all)

Copper: "Why were you driving at 70 MPH in a 30 MPH zone?"

Driver: "My car told me it was 70 MPH"

Copper: "Did you not see the 3 speed limit signs showing 30 MPH"

Driver: "Yes, but the car said it was a 70 MPH zone so that's what I was doing"

Hmmmmmm, I don't think that conversation would end well for the driver. :withstupid:

Clearly a lot of new tech is genuinely useful such as collision mitigation, parking sensors etc but I definitely think that SOME of the stuff that is now being fitted to cars is essentially worthless.

• Like 1