Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Dash cams and people caught doing stuff on them

simcor

Well I have one and have caught some interesting stuff and not so interesting stuff.

However since I started driving C+E trucks I have calmed down even more as a driver especially with being scored on telematics at work and being part of the driver development program we have to do being the Smith's course.

I have learnt that often rushing around gets you nowhere in reality and with points can't afford anymore.

Lately I have had people doing crazy overtakes and crazy speeds to get past me one quite dangerous if anything came the other way. Then there are the dawdlers that get in everyone's way, the any lane joggers that just seem oblivious to the world around them whilst driving. The people who overtake at break neck speed coming up to the 200 yards merge in roadworks just to get past a truck or car to then get a whole 5 secs up the road because other vehicles are in front.

It's took me a long time to realise this is all futile and gains you naff all.

But with the amount of dash cameras these days it's so easy to be caught doing something stupid or reckless and yet people still drive like nutters.

We see websites devoted to camera clips and people are enticed to share footage with these sites or the police and people have been convicted from footage alone of an event.

Now normally I would stick with sod it, it's not business and they will get caught soon enough.

However I'm having a different line of thought, it's about time bad driving was made as anti social as drink or drug driving etc. It's the only way to get some people to change their habits, and it adds more police presence in effect as from footage really bad drivers could be taken off the road.

I see how bad the standard of driving has gotten in the 21 years I have been driving and at times during my driving career mine has been as bad especially when I was younger with regard to speed but as for being aware of other vehicles and general good driving habits I.e yawned correct lanes etc.

I do 1000 miles a month in my own car and probably anywhere between 500-1000 miles a week on average at work currently and I have driven for nearly all of my jobs. So maybe I just see more than my fair share of bad driving.

It's really becoming a bigger problem more so with people's life being more hectic as well.

So should bad driving become socially unacceptable the same as drink driving etc and would it make much of a difference if this was the case?

Discuss.....

Bit long winded but hope you got to the end.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I agree with what you are saying about making it socially unacceptable but I can't be doing with some vigilante with a dash cam deciding what is dangerous, what is silly and what is safe. Some people behind the camera are worse than the cars they record and I've seen videos were the cam car actually creates the problem in he first place in order to get some footage. Dash cam footage can also be difficult to use in a prosecution as there are many variables like calibration and accuracy, unless the camera is on a commercial vehicle and it is all hard wired to the vehicle and it's speedo etc (or so a police friend of mine told me). If I see someone doing something stupid then I hear my dads voice in my head saying "it won't get him very far, we'll pass him in a ditch later" and if it something dangerous you can always dial 101/999

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

I agree with what you are saying about making it socially unacceptable but I can't be doing with some vigilante with a dash cam deciding what is dangerous, what is silly and what is safe. Some people behind the camera are worse than the cars they record and I've seen videos were the cam car actually creates the problem in he first place in order to get some footage. Dash cam footage can also be difficult to use in a prosecution as there are many variables like calibration and accuracy, unless the camera is on a commercial vehicle and it is all hard wired to the vehicle and it's speedo etc (or so a police friend of mine told me). If I see someone doing something stupid then I hear my dads voice in my head saying "it won't get him very far, we'll pass him in a ditch later" and if it something dangerous you can always dial 101/999

Very sound advice.

• Like 1

It is @jmurray01 but unfortunately they usually have a collection of innocent parties in the ditch with them.

12 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

It is @jmurray01 but unfortunately they usually have a collection of innocent parties in the ditch with them.

Indeed they do, sadly.

Dash cams not recording speed is rarely a problem, as most accidents (especially in town) aren't solely due to excessive speed.  Yes, speed in many accidents exacerbates the crash that was going to happen anyway, but in town most of the crashes are simply people carrying out dangerous manoeuvres.  So that idiot who pulls out on you, or the moron who cuts you up, or the expletive who drives aggressively, or the cyclist who has no lights.  They are great for irrefutably recording what actually happened at that point in time.

For the sake of £70 or £80 to buy a half decent camera, I think they are well worth it.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club