Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Newbie: TDCI - is EGR removal, and sport CAT legal?

Drd

I have a non-DPF '07 2.0 TDCI and would like to remove/blank the EGR valve if poss.

I know all the emissions laws have changed the last few years, and you won't pass your mot if your car had a DPF and CAT and either have been removed (if your mechanic is awake), but will the EGR be a problem?

Also, does anyone make high-flow CAT replacements made for TDCI engines, or has anyone had a custom one built that anyone knows of, as it seems to be the most restrictive part of the exhaust, or does that only work on petrol engines? (new to turbo diesel engines)

I used to have a 54 plate Mondeo with, probably, the same engine. I blanked my EGR because of black smoke on acceleration. If it's working ok, i.e. no smoke, you might just as well leave it alone. I blanked mine with a DIY plate made from the bottom of a scrap aluminium saucepan and a Dremel. Fitting it was easy as I 'slotted' the bolt holes so that I only had to loosen the bolts to fit unobtrusively. Result=no smoke. I know at the time there was talk on the forum, Talkford :smile:, that blanking couldn't be done on Euro 4 engines which later models had because of EML faults

Good luck

Edit: WRT legality I don't know if/how the law has changed. I had no issues with MOT passes at the time. There was also talk of de-cats that were available, but again I've no knowledge re current legality or whether up to date emissions monitoring would detect such a thing

Messing with the emissions is illegal but you wont get any issues with sorting out the EGR and on a diesel, it'll pass its MOT, I don't even think you need a CAT to pass the MOT but again, if its obvious you have messed with it then I suspect you will be having troubles.  as long as it meets the smoke test guide lines and isn't obvious you will be fine, of course that doesn't mean its legal, just getting caught will be unlikely, get pulled over and inspected then all bets are off :)

31 minutes ago, Dee_82 said:

I don't even think you need a CAT to pass the MOT...

I think regs say what was there has to stay there, if you get my drift, hence de-cats, i.e. empty cans that look like a cat but with nowt inside, just a straight-through.

I've always thought that cats on a diesel are a bit of a chocolate teapot. Cats are for reducing CO. Diesels don't produce (much) CO so are useless if the missus has left you, the taxman has finally caught up with you, you've been sacked and your house and its contents are being repossessed, all in the same week. I guess the same applies to modern petrol engines come to that...

Ok, sold on the EGR getting blanked, as can't seem to find a downside.

But what about a high-flow cat replacement?

I'm not talking here about decating it, as I really can't be dealing with possible failed MOTs, but about replacing it with a sports type high-flow cat that's pretty common in serious power modding, like this -

100cat.jpg

It still has a cat, but it's a hell of a lot less restrictive.

Egr can be bypassed and is fine for the mot at the moment anyway... As for the sport cat, again should be fine as long as it would not impede on the cars intended euro emission standards

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

And here comes the really obvious question - Is doing anything to the CAT actually going to make a discernable difference?

Would replacing the center muffler with a through pipe be a better idea, or is that an auto MOT failure too?

I'd like more out of my car, and will possibly flash the ECU later, but want any supporting mods done first.