Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bumper Colour Match - Insurance.

Victory

So last week someone hit me coming out of junction caused alot damage and has resulting in new drivers door, new fender wing and new front bumper.

Went to pick the car up this morning and have had to reject the work and leave the car with them as i wasn't happy.

Basically they have done a great job on the drivers door and fender and the paint matches great but its the front bumper, the body work guy said that they come pre painted from ford and i have take it up with ford, i mean the colour is way out on the bumper and looks wrong.

Anyway i told the body work guy its not my problem it comes from ford liek that and they will need respray it to match, he said i have wait till tue for authorisation from insurence and i will phone my insurence myself to push it through but i am just wondering has anyone else been in same situation and how did it turn out?

plastic shield underneath was also cracked so they need repair that.

Any tips on what to look out for when checking it over next week.. heres picture of the damage.

Thanks

2666203072071525743-account_id=1.jpg

• Like 1

Any pics of it now with the work done :smile:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dezwez said:

Any pics of it now with the work done :smile:

unfortunately not i had forgot my phone! annoyingly!

Be mindful that different materials (i.e. metal vs plastic) can result in differences in appearance even with the same paint. Also, the body panels will often be painted in different batches (even different factories) and so this too can lead to them not looking the same.

All that said, if these differences aren't apparent on, say, your back bumper compared to your quarter panels and yet they are jumping out on your new bumper then I can understand you being dissatisfied. Speaking the 'new' bumpers - this too will of course have an effect as it won't have the 6-year fade that the rest of the car does.

Assuming the new door (skin?) was painted by the bodyshop then like you I think I would be pushing for them to spray the bumper too. Always remember that the intended outcome of a repair, particularly an insurance-funded one, is that it aims to put you back in to the position you were in before the damage occurred. It this means matching colour - or as near as damn it - all round then that's what you should be getting!

Thanks this is exactly my point, the door and fender were painted by the body shop and it is an excellent match and a very good job! they said the bumper came from ford pre painted and thats why theres a difference

If you look at the rear bumper there isn't a difference to the rest of the body work the front bumper stands out like sore thumb! being my colour is Lunar Sky with a kinda of pearl effect the bumper actually looks rather plain and darker in comparison with the other panels.

i agree what you say that's how i feel the point is to get the car back to how it was before the accident. Thanks i will be pushing hard for a respray of the bumper!

it's a bit cheeky them saying you should take it up with Ford. As you did not buy the bumper from them you are not part of that contract of sale. The person who ordered and paid for the bumper (the bodyshop) from Ford is the party who needs to take up any dispute with ford. Like you say, that is their problem not yours.

• Like 1

I would be checking all the shut lines are identical around the whole car, not just where the repair has been done. Check the lights work, they may have been removed during the work, in particular check the fog light. Also check the light is levelled correctly and has gone in squint. Check your alloy wheel for any new damage and check for any knocks when going lock to lock. Open and close the bonnet to make sure it opens normally then falls back into position nice and straight. Open the drivers door wide to make sure there is no damage to the hinge. With the bonnet open have a look inside where the damage was and check for any cracked plastics or visible anomalies. Also check the wheel arch liner is not broken and that all the pins are secure, they are easily broken and it's quicker to ignore them rather than replace them.

That would be my list anyway. I agree with all the other comments regarding the work carried out. If you are not happy with any aspect of the job then you take it up with the repair shop and they need to action it with either their own staff or any third party that supplied parts for the job. If the body shop are getting arsey then just refuse to take the car back and go back to your insurance company, they are the ones with whom your contract lies. You pay them the annual premium and they work on your behalf in the event of a problem, they authorised the garage to make the repairs and they will be funding it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

I would be checking all the shut lines are identical around the whole car, not just where the repair has been done. Check the lights work, they may have been removed during the work, in particular check the fog light. Also check the light is levelled correctly and has gone in squint. Check your alloy wheel for any new damage and check for any knocks when going lock to lock. Open and close the bonnet to make sure it opens normally then falls back into position nice and straight. Open the drivers door wide to make sure there is no damage to the hinge. With the bonnet open have a look inside where the damage was and check for any cracked plastics or visible anomalies. Also check the wheel arch liner is not broken and that all the pins are secure, they are easily broken and it's quicker to ignore them rather than replace them.

That would be my list anyway. I agree with all the other comments regarding the work carried out. If you are not happy with any aspect of the job then you take it up with the repair shop and they need to action it with either their own staff or any third party that supplied parts for the job. If the body shop are getting arsey then just refuse to take the car back and go back to your insurance company, they are the ones with whom your contract lies. You pay them the annual premium and they work on your behalf in the event of a problem, they authorised the garage to make the repairs and they will be funding it.

Many thanks Jonro that is extremely helpful i certainly make a list of things to check from your post thanks!

Thats what i will tell insurance on tuesday they need sort it out as i wont take the car back till they do, harder to get it sorted after then when they have the car, the bodyshop will want to sort it quick so they get there courtesy car back too!

• Like 1

No problem, I hope it all goes smoothly. I had bother with a body shop after my car was damaged in an accident. They didn't line up the bonnet correctly, there was condensation in a 'new' fog lamp housing and the driver seat had a squeak to it that wasn't there when it got towed away. They also didn't replace a cracked fan housing and there was overspray on the bonnet lip. I said I wouldn't take the car back and they said I had to as it was finished. I stood my ground and didn't take it, as you say once you have taken it it is almost seen as you accepting it. My courtesy car was through my insurance and not form the bodyshop. I spoke to my insurance company and explained the situation, they spoke to the body shop who said the repair was of a 'satisfactory' standard. I said it was unacceptable so they sent an assessor to check it and within 5 minutes of him arriving I had a call saying all the things I pointed out will be remedied. The insurance company carry a lot of weight in these cases, more than the 'little man'.

Also, if your bumper is that noticeable and it is a local bodyshop they will not want it being driven round like that, especially if there is a sign in the window saying who did the repair [emoji6]

• Like 1

Who chose the repairer - was it you or the insurance company? is it on that insurance company's list of approved repairers?  If someone insists on having their car repaired somewhere that the insurance company did not suggest nor is on their list then in those circumstances their insurance company are not so likely to put pressure on the repairer to resolve. 

its the insurance company approved repairer 

so picked up the car from bodyworks this evening, overall very happy with the work , will see in next few days but looks good to me and drives fine! 

the repair work came to nearly 4.5k!!! good job it was two claims or would have be written off! tho i was very unlucky to have two accidents in same week after never having one in 15 years of driving!. someone hit drivérs door scraped down to back wheel arch first accident and second as above. both now non-fault! lets hope the targets gone!!

this was what was replaced,

• new front bumper
  • new fender wing
  • new drivers door skin
  • painting whole right side car and front bumper (twice😉)
  • new alloy
  • new tyre
  • new fog light
  • new chrome fog surround
  • new headlight
  • new bumper reinforce
  • new air grille
  • new spoiler
  • new bumper bracket
  • new front air deflector
  • new wheelhouse cover
  • new right strut
  • new washer container/bottle
  • and other bits and bobs!

anyway pics!!!!

before

58f8f5773bf21_2666203072071525743-account_id1.thumb.jpg.51f039c3e5509829b332db87154f3151.jpg

after

20170420_180054.thumb.jpg.dec92ea826d7894a1dbb9165e40031c8.jpg20170420_180111.thumb.jpg.bd822ab4338a07b654c7ee4411dd866f.jpg

20170420_180102.thumb.jpg.b9bb5be47e98d6504d673403ea6e4ab6.jpg

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club