Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Small Hole in back box, still pas MOT ??

FiestaZetec09

This is my first car I got insured on it last week but not driving yet due to need mot and tax which is getting sorted next week, I've noticed upon checking previous MOT history that the car had a advisory for a small hole in the back box, with me buying the car from salvage and having to pay for the repairs car insurance and mot and tax I'm not sure if I can afford a back box till I get paid at the end of the month, but the car is in for MOT next week, will it pass as it is ? Or will I need to replace the back box if so can some one link me to the right one for my car please Ford Fiesta Zetec 09 (new shape), also if there is a temporary fix I would be able to do until I get a new back box could any one please let me know? Much appreciated Jordan. 

If the worst does happen and it fails, then you have 10 working days to sort it out to have a partial retest. Some garages will retest for free, but some can only charge a partial fee. If you leave the car at the garage for the 10 days then it is free also.

Unless you can bodge a piece of sheet metal over the whole and weld it on, but I'm not even sure if they would pass it.

Small holes will go through, but it depends if the tester determines it to be a "major" leak of exhaust gases.  If it isn't noticeable when the car is being driven then it should be OK, but if you can hear it then chances are its too big and will need to be replaced.

If you don't need the car, then I would consider postponing the MOT until the end of the month then put it in and if it needs a new back box, so be it, but at least you'll have the funds to do it.

• Like 1

As Jamie said if you can hold off mot until you have the readies get the back box done before mot, a small hole usually and eventually erupts into a large noisy hole 9 times out of ten at the most  inopportune time, dont want it happening during a mot :unsure:

Can some one send me a link to a back box please preferably from eBay 

Sometimes you can repair with exhaust repair paste. depends how big and exactly where it is. but if it was an advisory a year ago it will probably be a bigger hole now than it was then. it's one of those things that some judgment is needed and hence some MOT testers will fail and some will pass exactly the same hole.

have seen the hole?  have you held a rag over the end of the exhaust with the engine running, or rather got someone else to hold the rag whilst you inspect the exhaust for leaks.

1 hour ago, FiestaZetec09 said:

Can some one send me a link to a back box please preferably from eBay 

Look at the top of the forum page and you will se, " FORD PARTS FOR SALE" click, find EXHAUSTS, Click and it will bring up exhausts for sale on eBay.

If I do it for you and post the link you will not learn anything.

1 hour ago, karl46 said:

If I do it for you and post the link you will not learn anything.

:w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t: :wink:

21 hours ago, isetta said:

Sometimes you can repair with exhaust repair paste. depends how big and exactly where it is. but if it was an advisory a year ago it will probably be a bigger hole now than it was then. it's one of those things that some judgment is needed and hence some MOT testers will fail and some will pass exactly the same hole.

have seen the hole?  have you held a rag over the end of the exhaust with the engine running, or rather got someone else to hold the rag whilst you inspect the exhaust for leaks.

Thanks mate. I have held a rag over the end and it pisses out of the hole when I do so, having said that the car has been sat for a very long time (as it's been bought from salvage) but I presume there is a lot of condensation still in there, so right now I'm not exactly sure how much water is in there, it's not noticeable after the engine has been running for say 10 mins then there is no dripping at all, the hole is on the back box on the side part towards the engine, so not underneath but on the side that's towards the engine, haven't seen it yet or been able to feel it as the weather been abit crap but I'll try get a few pictures and post them on here tomorrow, thanks bud 

You can get paste and you can also get 'bandages' that wrap round the exhaust to seal bigger holes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk