Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stop / Start on fords ?

Ian Lanc

Been chatting to a friend today who said this stop start technology is bad for a car especially when the engine is cold, a friend of his has a new fiesta and were he drives the car stops & starts 20 times within 2 miles, anyone got a view on this ? Suppose Ford has looked into this!

Mine doesn't usually work when the engine is cold?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

No, among the many things that must be ok for stop start to function I'm sure engine up to temp is one of them. Mine doesn't work with a cold engine

• Like 2

Well, with outside temp around 15 cel. mine works after 2 minutes or 500-600 metres road. battery is two years old.

Στάλθηκε από το XT1032 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ian Lanc said:

Been chatting to a friend today who said this stop start technology is bad for a car especially when the engine is cold, a friend of his has a new fiesta and were he drives the car stops & starts 20 times within 2 miles, anyone got a view on this ? Suppose Ford has looked into this!

I'd hate to think of the 'wear & tear' on the parts involved and wouldn't fancy being in a queue of traffic at peak time moving a few feet then stopping, move a few feet then stop, move..........

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys.

Only time will tell on this technology! think starter motor & the battery will be the first to go, followed by a worn flywheel.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys.
.... think starter motor & the battery will be the first to go, followed by a worn flywheel.

Quite right, especially if yoi have a double mass flywheel clutch.

Στάλθηκε από το XT1032 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

• Like 1

If stop/starting in a traffic jam the car works it out and doesn't stop/start every time, you can override the system by turning it off if you so wish. There are a whole number of criteria that have to be met before the system works, engine temp, battery voltage and current power draw are all considered. The engine also needs to be properly lubricated before the system works.

I do wonder about the longevity of parts but the stop/start technology has been around for 10years give or take and there hasn't been a lot of publicity of parts failing. A lot of components are now tested to complete up to 200-300% more starts. The biggest source of wear has been noted to be batteries, and as ford seem to use notoriously bad batteries these will be the first to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

The biggest source of wear has been noted to be batteries, and as ford seem to use notoriously bad batteries these will be the first to go.

Have a good friend who has 15 plate fiesta [purchased from new] which has the stop/start fitted to his car and within 6 months the battery would go dead after 5 stop/starts, battery renewed under warranty, his concern is when the warranty has ran out and the battery causes him problems that a new one is about £150!!

My fiesta hasn't got the stop/start fitted to it but if I park up, turn the engine off and have the ignition on and listen to the stereo for half an hour, when I go to start the car up the engine rotates once then the battery is dead, dead as a DoDo, too scared to even leave the interior light on incase the battery goes dead :sad:

35 minutes ago, Ian Lanc said:

Have a good friend who has 15 plate fiesta [purchased from new] which has the stop/start fitted to his car and within 6 months the battery would go dead after 5 stop/starts, battery renewed under warranty, his concern is when the warranty has ran out and the battery causes him problems that a new one is about £150!!

My fiesta hasn't got the stop/start fitted to it but if I park up, turn the engine off and have the ignition on and listen to the stereo for half an hour, when I go to start the car up the engine rotates once then the battery is dead, dead as a DoDo, too scared to even leave the interior light on incase the battery goes dead :sad:

Does the Fiesta have the same active grill things at the front as the focus? When I first picked up my 2012 focus, it would do the same, battery warnings after 5min of listening to radio, after driving around town and stop start kicking in a few times. 

Turns out the motor on the active grill was faulty. Replaced that and not had a problem since. (Aside from stop start having a mind of its own!)