Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 Focus Coilover Advice

Matty2Smokes

Do I need coilovers in my life? 

Currently running on Eibach Pro Kit lowering springs which are fine for what they cost and they lower my car 25mm front and back but my slight OCD is constantly pointing out the fact that the front sits lower than the rear! 

I know the cost difference is huge in some cases but do any of you guys have any experience of fitting coilovers yourself, how they ride compared to lowering springs and which brands would you recommend? I know you can get some pretty cheap setups on eBay for about £200 but if I'm going to spend the extra 💲 I'd like something with adjustable damping i.e BC, KW or Bilstein etc. 

Anyway take a look at the pics yourself guys. If I'm being overly critical and spending the extra cash on coilovers is pointless please let me know 👍

20170409_180013.thumb.jpg.640e7135adbe963eacb61c761eef7cf2.jpg

20170410_164305.thumb.jpg.08d7b33f57ea5629d4a72ea973df00d4.jpg

20170410_164314.thumb.jpg.cda6884564780ba44dae535395ae9611.jpg

• Haha 1

Car looks spot on to me. 

Surely it won't lower anymore, without hitting the wheel arches ? 

See what other comments you get, but for me save your money it's looks very smart as it is. 👍

• Like 3

Looks good to me.

Any more is ridiculous imo.

Also, you need a bit more height on the back, or when you load it up or have passengers, it will sit too low.

• Like 3

Car looks good 

fitting coilovers can be a real pain to set up correctly as to do it properly you need to sit the car on scales to get the corner weight over each wheel. Plus going any lower and you may have trouble getting over speed bumps etc especially if you are thinking of fitting a front splitter 

• Like 2

I've got 25mm springs and a splitter and im thinking of getting coil overs so I can raise the car a little it's to low hits everything on the splitter 

• Like 2

Keep it as it is, car looks awesome!!

From experience coilovers can make the ride really bumpy. I'd never get them again.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, drsdriver said:

Car looks spot on to me. 

Surely it won't lower anymore, without hitting the wheel arches ? 

See what other comments you get, but for me save your money it's looks very smart as it is. 👍

Cheers for the comment! Rear arches overhang the rear wheels by about 15mm (a little less on the front) so with going a little lower it will increase the camber and clear no probs 😊

If I'm honest it's more about the ride quality as mine can feel harsh at times with the stock dampers 😭 was thinking adjustable damping and ride height might solve all my issues lol

See what your saying about the cost though... is it really worth it?? 

6 hours ago, D13 HPD 95 said:

I've got 25mm springs and a splitter and im thinking of getting coil overs so I can raise the car a little it's to low hits everything on the splitter 

3 hours ago, Commencal24 said:

Keep it as it is, car looks awesome!!

From experience coilovers can make the ride really bumpy. I'd never get them again.

Cheers for that! As mentioned to the dude above I was kind of hoping that shocks with damping and ride height adjustment would solve two issues in one hit! i.e height and comfort as the ride can be a little harsh on the lowering springs with stock dampers. 

Do you have much experience in suspension work yourself Comm? Most of the guys on Facebook groups seem to be happy to buy £200 eBay that have no damping adjustment but I'm looking at spending £700-£1000 but is it really worth it? 

12 hours ago, TangoDaz said:

Car looks good 

fitting coilovers can be a real pain to set up correctly as to do it properly you need to sit the car on scales to get the corner weight over each wheel. Plus going any lower and you may have trouble getting over speed bumps etc especially if you are thinking of fitting a front splitter 

Cheers Daz! I wish there was a company that made a front splitter for my model which comes with a sort of body kit/splitter as standard 😊

20170409_180051.jpg

Have you looked at triple r composites not sure what they do for your type of focus? 

11 hours ago, Matty2Smokes said:

Cheers for that! As mentioned to the dude above I was kind of hoping that shocks with damping and ride height adjustment would solve two issues in one hit! i.e height and comfort as the ride can be a little harsh on the lowering springs with stock dampers. 

Do you have much experience in suspension work yourself Comm? Most of the guys on Facebook groups seem to be happy to buy £200 eBay that have no damping adjustment but I'm looking at spending £700-£1000 but is it really worth it? 

Have you thought about changing to up rated shocks rather than coilovers? The ride will be a lot less harsh and then you can source some springs that will lower the back end more than the front  if that's what you still want to do? Blistein do a sports shock you might want to take a look at.

Ive not any experience working with suspension, but every car I've had I've lowered 2-3 times ranging from a 25mm drop all the way to 50mm then coilovers. so I guess I can give you my experience on comfort, and if you want to keep as much of that as you can stay well clear of coilovers, especially if your going to be using your car daily.

I had to change my top mounts every 7-8 months too after fitting them.

If I were you I'd get uprated shocks.

Hope this helps a little.

3 hours ago, TangoDaz said:

Have you looked at triple r composites not sure what they do for your type of focus? 

I have pal no luck there only ST splitters available 😭

• 3 months later...

I went with Bilstein shocks. They are slightly stiffer than stock but I noticed a huge difference in handling. Good performance in dealing with rough roads, potholes and sharp bumps.

As others have said, and I'm paraphrasing here: "ride be dope bruh"

Looks really nice, though for my taste I'd want something as close to a uniform space between the wheels and arches all the way round as possible. Loving the honeycomb grills - noticed these on one parked next to mine at morrisons earlier - is yours a TiX or a ZetecS or something?

• 3 years later...

That looks so nice as it sits like others have said j wouldn't mess with it anymore than you already have my old car had terrible issues with wheels rubbing on the arches