Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Keyless system and watersports

Nicolas33

Hi,

Sorry if this is considered as a stupid question but i am wondering if anyone have a better solution than mine.

I have a focus with keyless system (that i love) but not sure how i will use this while going surfing..

The old technic of leaving key under a wheel will not work for obvious reasons..

In my old car i got and key on eBay and cut it for the car but with no chip. So the key will only open the car. I then left my main key in the boot and went surfing with my door key that can get wet.

I have a waterproof pouch, but it's not always reliable.. and keyless is expensive to replace.

I thought or wrapping the key in plastic foil and then in a waterproof bag, but again not idea..

Any kiteboarders/ surfers with keyless system a d some tips?

There is a blade inside the keyfob which you could use, but I think the alarm would get triggered when you go to unlock the car.

That said, if you lock the car with the blade, it might not arm the alarm, I've never tried.

Try locking the car with the blade, then unlocking it with the blade and the key out or range, see if the alarm goes off. (If it does just put the fob in the car, or lock and re-lock, it should shut it up).

I have a similar problem as a Canoeist/Kayaker.

I also use a waterproof pouch, but as you say they are not to be relied upon for something that vital. So I try to mitigate it by wrapping the key in a small polythene bag first and also putting a paper tissue in as well to soak up any water first.

I also have a no-chip key for opening the door. In this case I leave the main key hidden in the car in a Faraday bag (from ebay) which prevents the keyless from operating. This has the unfortunate effect of triggering the alarm. You get around 10 seconds to unwrap the real key.

Jeff

Or hide your key away from your car, say bury  it nearby but not to near . 

This won't always work but can you leave your car key in a friends car if you meet up with someone that can take their key with them like you used to?

I think the idea of using a waterproof pouch and a small food bag would be a good a way as any. Ikea do really tiny bags that have double closing press zips so if one failed the other one wouldn't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glad to see I'm not the only one :) not sure about getting the alarm on.. 

I think I'll got with the keything in wrapped in kitchen foil then in a bag as mentioned above, and this with newspaper or kitchen towel, and this in a waterproof bag around the neck.. I'll see how this go.. :) the good thing is that I can keep the keep wrapped like this.. How expensive is it to get an third key/second keyless key, I cannot see this for MK2? This can be useful as not having to fiddle with the key when just having a break, I could get everything tucked in the wetsuit.

And yes, depending on the beach I go, some are safe to keep the key in a bag or a mate's car.. I suppose a local surfshop/in some city's might be willing to help.

I'll ask my local dealer when I get a chance.

Have you seen the Swim Cell brand of sealed bags?
Our search divers use them and seem happy enough.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Many many years back one could purchase a box with a sliding lid with a magnet attached on the back to hold ignition keys, pop the key in box and attached said box under the bodywork somewhere.

You can get heat sealers on eBay that seal plastic bags - run off a couple of AA batteries. Can satisfy the issue of not wanting to get the key wet

if i was to need to do this i would buy a water proof bag line it with tissue, then get a food bag, 99p for a roll, and wrap the key fob in tissue then put it in the bad and tie it off with an overhand knot and pull tight, no water would get in.or you can double bag it then in the water proof bag. 

Many many years back one could purchase a box with a sliding lid with a magnet attached on the back to hold ignition keys, pop the key in box and attached said box under the bodywork somewhere.

I remember those boxes, they are still used in geocaching I believe. In the situation the OP describes this would be no use though, with the car being RKE having the key this close to the car would mean anyone could just open the door.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

I remember those boxes, they are still used in geocaching I believe. In the situation the OP describes this would be no use though, with the car being RKE having the key this close to the car would mean anyone could just open the door.

Silly Me!  I never thought of that.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club