Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Mk2 Titanium Steering wheel upgrade

k_j_jacobs

Has anyone upgraded their steering wheel before how easy is it 

basically i want extra buttons on mine as mine didnt come with bluetooth i would like the phone buttons, my current one has the cruise control buttons

can anyone suggest where i can get ones from ideally ford models

Has anyone upgraded their steering wheel before how easy is it 

basically i want extra buttons on mine as mine didnt come with bluetooth i would like the phone buttons, my current one has the cruise control buttons
can anyone suggest where i can get ones from ideally ford models

The focus only have cruise buttons on steering wheel. However the bluetooth is controlled on voice activated button stalk. You would need bluetooth module .as yours is titanium you may already have loom. You also need mic .remove maplight & feel for mic or loom.
Yunii

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

This is voice activation stalk needed to control bluetooth.
Yunii67e41f8ac527d435c8cd080fe1f4ddb8.jpg

• Like 2

I installed a (brand new) Mondeo MK4.5 steering wheel in my previous Focus MK2.

DSC01567_zps97327a77.jpg

DSC01570_zps7daecfb9.jpg

DSC01569_zpsb8b4b4db.jpg

DSC01574_zps59780dee.jpg

However this is not plug and play at all.

Mechanically the Mondeo MK4/MK4.5 steering wheel is a direct fit to the Focus MK2/MK2.5. However all electrics of the Mondeo MK4/MK4.5 are different from the Focus MK2/MK2.5. Ford uses resistance circuits for the Cruise Control and the radio remote functions. Unfortunately the resistance values are different for most Ford models.This basically means that literally all of the circuit boards inside all switches need to be modified to match the correct resistance values of the Focus MK2/MK2.5.

Another problem is that the clockspring of the Focus MK2/MK2.5 has less wiring than needed for all functions of the Mondeo MK4/MK4.5 steering wheel. This can be solved by some modifications of the clockspring and designing a circuitry that communicates multiple functions by only using 2 wires.

I only used new parts which I bought from eBay and Ford dealers in Eastern Europe (because of the large price difference). Parts alone costed me approximately €350,-. Next to this it took a lot of my time (a few hours a day for approximately 3 Months) to make all buttons fully functional. It took a lot of research, development and testing to make all buttons work correctly. 

However it was definetely worth the money and effort. 

• Like 1

I some day would like to get custommed steering like this but 4 spoke one due to cruise.
95af5b37c01a6be2b419b778c41d9168.jpg

i dont think i got that button on mine... if i remember right there are only 5 wires coming from that stalk

up down left right and mode

ive seen someone on here stick a mondeo wheel on their focus and that had the buttons

i already have a speaker hole by my light not opened it up yet to see if there is a microphone there, doubt it as it didnt have bluetooth installed my unit comes tomorrow

Yunni love the tri, you have given your centre consol. where did u get it from and the knobs?

Yunni love the tri, you have given your centre consol. where did u get it from and the knobs?

Knobs are from eBay around £15 or less.
As for carbon black trim its from focus rs. Obviously not cheap & rare find. Although the radio surround was different .i have manual heater & trim that came is for digital climate control so had bought standard silver & had it hydro dipped . If your referring to the pic above then its not my car.
Yunii

1 hour ago, yunii said:

I some day would like to get custommed steering like this but 4 spoke one due to cruise.
95af5b37c01a6be2b419b778c41d9168.jpg

That's a nice steering wheel 

This is mine src="https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170419/6fce617d045e672102aff6274377c73c.jpg" alt="6fce617d045e672102aff6274377c73c.jpg">55f0291419fd92e5edbd993f1ff8e1f7.jpgf9e614ba356382d96b9c90e1f88527cc.jpgecde6cd1c59d9f012b5bcd0cf377207f.jpg

love it just a shame you cant match that usb port, hydro printing is quite expensive but amazing

how did you change the Light colours?

love it just a shame you cant match that usb port, hydro printing is quite expensive but amazing

how did you change the Light colours?

Thats stock colour of them. As for aux its aftermarket product so thats how they are.
Yunii

• 2 years later...

Hello. could you write me the ohm values of the individual focus mk2 buttons?
values on cruise control, but control gear and onboard pc.
best at gecko-x@seznam.cz
Thank you

• 1 year later...
On 4/19/2017 at 7:57 PM, JW1982 said:

DSC01567_zps97327a77.jpg

DSC01570_zps7daecfb9.jpg

DSC01569_zpsb8b4b4db.jpg

DSC01574_zps59780dee.jpg

Mechanically the Mondeo MK4/MK4.5 steering wheel is a direct fit to the Focus MK2/MK2.5. However all electrics of the Mondeo MK4/MK4.5 are different from the Focus MK2/MK2.5. Ford uses resistance circuits for the Cruise Control and the radio remote functions. Unfortunately the resistance values are different for most Ford models.This basically means that literally all of the circuit boards inside all switches need to be modified to match the correct resistance values of the Focus MK2/MK2.5.

Another problem is that the clockspring of the Focus MK2/MK2.5 has less wiring than needed for all functions of the Mondeo MK4/MK4.5 steering wheel. This can be solved by some modifications of the clockspring and designing a circuitry that communicates multiple functions by only using 2 wires.

I only used new parts which I bought from Ebay and Ford dealers in Eastern Europe (because of the large price difference). Parts alone costed me approximately €350,-. Next to this it took a lot of my time (a few hours a day for approximately 3 Months) to make all buttons fully functional. It took a lot of research, development and testing to make all buttons work correctly. 

Hello, you did a great job with the steering wheel. can you tell me if the airbag is direct fit from the mondeo steering wheel to the Focus Mk 2.5? I am thinking of doing something similar but i don't want to mesh around with the airbag if it isn't a direct fit.

Thank you very much.

Only a minor modification is needed to connect the Focus Mk2/MK2.5 airbag connector to the Mondeo MK4/MK4.5 steering wheel airbag.

The Focus MK2/MK2.5 airbag connector has a small locating notch. On a Mondeo MK4/MK4.5 this locating notch is at a slightly different position. Apart from this locating notch the connectors are identical. By removing the locating notch from the connector with a sharp knife the connector will fit to the Mondeo MK4/MK4.5 airbag and will also still fit to the Focus MK2/MK2.5 airbag. 

Thank you very much for the info.

Regards

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/19/2017 at 6:57 PM, JW1982 said:

DSC01567_zps97327a77.jpg

DSC01570_zps7daecfb9.jpg

DSC01569_zpsb8b4b4db.jpg

DSC01574_zps59780dee.jpg

I only used new parts which I bought from Ebay and Ford dealers in Eastern Europe (because of the large price difference). Parts alone costed me approximately €350,-. Next to this it took a lot of my time (a few hours a day for approximately 3 Months) to make all buttons fully functional. It took a lot of research, development and testing to make all buttons work correctly. 

* That's exactly the change I want to do. Good to know it eventually worked. Do you have any notes you've done when you did yours? That would help a lot. Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...

DSC01567_zps97327a77.jpg

DSC01570_zps7daecfb9.jpg

DSC01569_zpsb8b4b4db.jpg

DSC01574_zps59780dee.jpg

hi

any tips on how to sort the cruise buttons? been searching everywhere

I solved this by developing custom made circuit boards for the Mondeo MK4/MK4.5 Cruise Control switches. These custom made circuit boards did have the shape of the Mondeo MK4/MK4.5 circuit boards with the electronic circuitry of the Focus MK2/MK2.5.

I designed the PCB's myself and based on my design I had them produced in China for less than €10,-. When the PCB's arrived I only had to solder all components and connector pins onto the PCB's.

Unfortunately this was 7 Years ago and due to a computercrash a few years ago I do no longer have the PCB design files or pictures of the circuit boards.

• Sad 1

ah ok. thanks for the reply. i have read someone else succeeding recently, but they said there is a guide on a russian site somewhere. im mostly interested in cruise control resistance changes

• 2 years later...

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y388/ford_focusMK2/DSC01567_zps97327a77.jpg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y388/ford_focusMK2/DSC01570_zps7daecfb9.jpg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y388/ford_focusMK2/DSC01569_zpsb8b4b4db.jpg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y388/ford_focusMK2/DSC01574_zps59780dee.jpg

I only used new parts which I bought from eBay and Ford dealers in Eastern Europe (because of the large price difference). Parts alone costed me approximately €350,-. Next to this it took a lot of my time (a few hours a day for approximately 3 Months) to make all buttons fully functional. It took a lot of research, development and testing to make all buttons work correctly. 

Hi i dont know to change the resistance values you mentioned. Can u explain to me the process as i intend to do this on my focus mk2. Now i am using extra buttons connected to steering wheel for the cruise control but thats not suitable for the steering wheels.

• Sad 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club