Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clutch Replacement

steesh

Hi, just a bit of advice, looks like my clutch needs replacing on my Mk3 Mondeo 2.0 TDCI 55 plate and the first garage i asked has quoted me £800, but that is with some plate he said i also needed that absorbed vibration etc between the clutch and the gearbox.

Can anyone tell me what this plate is called, i think he said dual something or other but i was in shock at the thought of losing £800 i wasn't listening properly. :laugh:

Cheers

• Like 1

duel mass flywheel :smile:

• Like 1

To be honest, although 800 quid is 800 quid, that seems like a decent price including fitting a new DMF.  To be honest it's usually the DMF that lets go before the clutch on most diesels.

There are a couple of other items that usually get done at the same time (whilst the engine and gearbox are out of the car).  If you ask the garage to list out all the parts in writing and post it on here, we can check if they're doing all the bits they should be.

• Like 1

Cheers for the replies, i wont be getting the garage to do it now as i have found a mobile mechanic willing to fit the clutch for £130 which sounds really cheap but better than what the garage quoted.

I don't think its the mass flywheel as that doesnt look like something the stops vibration, i could be wrong, the garage did say it had some sort of plastic bushes in it and the flywheel doesnt appear to have those.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, steesh said:

Cheers for the replies, i wont be getting the garage to do it now as i have found a mobile mechanic willing to fit the clutch for £130 which sounds really cheap but better than what the garage quoted.

I don't think its the mass flywheel as that doesnt look like something the stops vibration, i could be wrong, the garage did say it had some sort of plastic bushes in it and the flywheel doesnt appear to have those.

it will be dmf

So should i get that done anyway seeing as the clutch is getting done?

• Like 1

That's the normal way most do it as it so much work. I hated the duel mass as we had to do two within 55000 miles

on my sons car and each time I had to renew starter motors as the dust from the clutch gets in to them and screws them up

sorry to be the bearer of bad news but that what the DMF are all about we have got rid of the car now .

• Like 1

I've ordered one anyway and i must say if anyone is after any car parts then take a look at GSF Carparts, promo code off55 to get 55% off. DMF was supposed to be £300 and i got it for £136. Same with the clutch, supposed to be £193 and i got it for £86.

https://www.gsfcarparts.com/

Willing to fit the clutch on a mk3 for £130? Good luck with that lol 

• Like 1

I'll let you know how that goes lol

32 minutes ago, stef123 said:

Willing to fit the clutch on a mk3 for £130? Good luck with that lol 

lol:smile:

5 hours ago, steesh said:

As Dezwez pointed out, smoothing out the many vibrations produced by diesel engines is exactly what DMF's are for.

I hope things go well with the mobile mechanic because £130 labour seems really low considering the clutch and gearbox need to come out i.e. it's pretty much a days work.

Don't forget to let us all know how you get on.

• Like 1

My 56 plate tdci I had hard gear changes and the engine started to rock side to side quite a lot and vibrate . Ended up having the dmf , clutch , and slave cylinder replaced I had a few quotes and it ended up costing £740 which was quite competitive. This solved everything and the engine now runs nice and smooth . The garage did say unfortunately this is a common thing to go with dmf . If it was an earlier mondeo it's a normal clutch and flywheel and would of been half the price . They did show me the old parts and the dmf to be fair had started to chew itself up . So a quote of £130 I would be wary ofr either the mechanic hasn't quite understood what's wrong ?

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I explained to the mechanic what i wanted, ie the clutch replaced, and he suggested i also get the DMF and the Slave done at the same time, i said £130 is really cheap and he said yes it is :smile:

I also asked him how long it would take as the garage said 6 hours and he said the same so he seems to know whats involved, if he does a good job i use him again, if he doesnt i'm walking 40 miles to work and back until i can get another car lol