Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Painting brake calipers

Birch

So I want to paint my calipers red since they're looking pretty rusty. However, from my very basic understanding if I want to remove my calipers I also need to remove the brake line and thus bleed the brakes. I have zero idea how to do any of this so is it possible to leave them on and just smother everything around the calipers with tape and bags? I told my brother and dad who are both extremely good on cars and they did nothing but rip the crap out of me because I don't know as much as them. 

Any help here? I want to know if there is a way around this.

As you said, mask the areas not to be painted , or just go careful with a smallish brush, after giving the caliper a good wirebrushing and degreasing.

You can only do what you are capable of. Or bite the bullet and ask your dad and brother for help. That's how most of the capable people on this site started out.

What about the back? I take it they're on drums. That'll just look daft if you paint them red. At least you'll get 25hp for doing the front haha.

Just make sure to avoid getting much paint on any of the rubber and heads of the bolts. Also put copper slip on the metal pad clips/ spring at the side of the pad when you put it back on.

you could remove them from the mountings and hang them on some wire or something near the hub so you don't have to disconnect brake hose. but make sure the wire or whatever is secure as you don't want it suddenly dropping and straining the brake hose

Humbrol spray Enamel works for me! Well for my Son actually as he did the work.

Seems a bit much removing the whole callipers to repaint them.

Front callipers are all lovely glossy silver. Rear drums are painted in satin black enamel.

So fingers crossed I'm doing it this weekend, my brother agreed to help me out since he is an apprentice mechanic. Any recommendations on paint and how much I'll need? I only have 2 calipers to do.

Make sure you use a high temperature paint. I did mine yesterday. Could only find a rattle can in the colour I wanted so sprayed it into the lid and brush painted it on. Ensure you clean the callipers thoroughly with wheel or brake cleaner and wire brush any rust away. 

IMG_5144.JPG

• 1 month later...
On 2017-4-28 at 11:20 AM, ThaiFiesta said:

Make sure you use a high temperature paint. I did mine yesterday. Could only find a rattle can in the colour I wanted so sprayed it into the lid and brush painted it on. Ensure you clean the callipers thoroughly with wheel or brake cleaner and wire brush any rust away. 

IMG_5144.JPG

Matt just echoing what David has said, if it's for Breaks make sure you get high temperature paint. Halfords will sell this 

• Like 1

On 2017-6-16 at 0:10 PM, Rob2017 said:

Matt just echoing what David has said, if it's for Breaks make sure you get high temperature paint. Halfords will sell this 

Ye I've put this on hold while I sort the rear end out, someone also hit my car while it was parked up at home so that is also on the to-do list.

• Like 1

Smooth Hammerite is more than up to the job of calipers and disc bells.  Downside is it takes a bit more time to dry, bit upside is you'll have the rest of the tin for touching up as time goes by.

I'm suprised no one has mentioned to use a rust remedy treatment like kurust.
After wire brushing and wiping all dust away paint on kurust on the bare metal then apply your coloured paint.
Hammerite isn't any good. It's porous and let's moisture soak into it. That's why you see rust creeping through things painted in it.
No point in wasting money on so called high temperature paint unless your car is a race car and driven as such on a track.
A good quality enamel paint is more than up to the job and brushing it on gets a great result too and saves that faff of stripping any part of the caliper. No need to mask off either if brushing paint on.
How did it go Birch?

• Like 1

I have a motorbike with brake calipers I painted in 1994, still smart, and it lived outdoors for 9 of those years.

Hammerite is not porous. It dries as an amorphous enamel. If micacous iron oxide is a problem its because the surface was not prepared properly or the paint not applied properly.

Rust converter is not a bad idea, but check the paint you're using is compatible as it prevents the first layer keying into the pores of the cast iron surface.

Still haven't gotten around to doing it. Simply can't afford to take my car off the road for more than a day due to work but it is still on the to-do list! Thanks for all the advice everyone.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, lew_man said:

Done mine the weekend. Used Halfords caliper paint

image331.JPG

image332.JPG

Looking nice @lew_man what size are those alloys?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rob2017 said:

Looking nice @lew_man what size are those alloys?

Thank you, they are 17" 

The drums look sweet.

• Like 1

Excellent job done Rob. Good colour choices.

2 hours ago, lew_man said:

image331.JPG

Lol I thought you painted your disks for a minute then from a glance. Looks good mate!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lew_man said:

image331.JPG

image332.JPG

Looks nice, how long did it take all in all?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Birch said:

Looks nice, how long did it take all in all?

Paint dried in about hour, did 2x coats though. But i had my alloys off anyway as i was applying Gtechniq C5 wheel armour : )

Just now, lew_man said:

Paint dried in about hour, did 2x coats though. But i had my alloys off anyway as i was applying Gtechniq C5 wheel armour : )

Oh awesome. Was it just a day job? I would struggle to take my car off the road for more than a day I think.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Birch said:

Oh awesome. Was it just a day job? I would struggle to take my car off the road for more than a day I think.

2 days actually, lol. i did one side on sat, then other the next. but only coz i had to go out

Just now, lew_man said:

2 days actually, lol. i did one side on sat, then other the next. but only coz i had to go out

Awesome. They look fantastic, definitely makes me want to do it more. Red is a great colour and will match my car nicely I think.

• Like 1

Just now, Birch said:

Awesome. They look fantastic, definitely makes me want to do it more. Red is a great colour and will match my car nicely I think.

Thanks, yea stands out. wish i had proper Brembo brakes on it though, and on rear...........maybe later down the line lol

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club