Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Refuelling a diesel

Coftstim
聽Share

Hi all ,聽

just got a new FOCUS ST 2.0 tdci and it's the first diesel I have owned . I refuelled the other day and it's the tanks first ever fill up . Payed the money and went to pull of the forecourt and noticed that the needle was only on three quarters of a tank . I heard diesel can foam a little which might trick tank into thinking it's full when it's not . If you guys could clear this up I'd be most greatful . Ta 馃憤

Yep, diesel is good for doing that!!聽 Hence why I never fill my diesels (or petrols for that matter) at "full blast" and only pull the pump lever about half way.聽 Granted it takes a while longer to fill but means when it does click you have a guaranteed full tank, or as close as you can get without overfilling.

What you can also do, although I don't suggest doing this if there is a queue of impatient drivers waiting behind you, is to fill it until it clicks then wait 2-3 minutes, and start filling again until it clicks a second time.聽 After a few minutes the foam should have cleared and you can then top it off.

• Like 2

I've noticed some fuel pumps click prematurely did same on my Fiesta petrol I think it's down to dodgy pumps. Never had an issue on my Diesel with foaming up.

Just now, Ryan_Tango said:

I've noticed some fuel pumps click prematurely did same on my Fiesta petrol I think it's down to dodgy pumps. Never had an issue on my Diesel with foaming up.

Yes, sometimes that is the issue as well.聽 I find with those pumps twisting the nozzle sideways whilst filling alleviates the problem.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

Yes, sometimes that is the issue as well.聽 I find with those pumps twisting the nozzle sideways whilst filling alleviates the problem.

Good tip I'll give that a try next time

Some Sainsburys pumps do this, the flow seems set too fast and backs up into the filler pipe before the tank is full and trips the cut-off on the nozzle.

5 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

Some Sainsburys pumps do this, the flow seems set too fast and backs up into the filler pipe before the tank is full and trips the cut-off on the nozzle.

I've noticed that Sainsbury's are particularly bad for that, whilst Tesco pumps fill much slower.

• Like 1

Some new BP pumps do this on petrol too!

On 29/04/2017 at 5:48 PM, jmurray01 said:

Yep, diesel is good for doing that!!聽 Hence why I never fill my diesels (or petrols for that matter) at "full blast" and only pull the pump lever about half way.聽 Granted it takes a while longer to fill but means when it does click you have a guaranteed full tank, or as close as you can get without overfilling.

What you can also do, although I don't suggest doing this if there is a queue of impatient drivers waiting behind you, is to fill it until it clicks then wait 2-3 minutes, and start filling again until it clicks a second time.聽 After a few minutes the foam should have cleared and you can then top it off.

Sod the impatient drivers . For them I will hold at quarter聽speed lol

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Coftstim said:

Sod the impatient drivers . For them I will hold at quarter聽speed lol

Haha!聽 That's the spirit!! :laugh:

• Like 1

I do too...fk em聽:laugh:

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club