Do Not Sell My Personal Information

i want traction control

jay ward

hi all,

i have a mk2 55 plate focus 1.6 zetec climate, it has no traction control. can this be added into the car? I can not find anything in the module lists using obdII reader and pc.

is it just a matter of plugging in and setting up, or will I need sensors or anything to be fitted aswell?

thank you for any comments,

• Like 1

If it has not come with ESP as standard you may well need a steering angle sensor, the actual module, and if your car does not come with ABS, then you will need all of those gubbins too - with possibility of other sensors required aswell.

5 hours ago, jay ward said:

hi all,

i have a mk2 55 plate focus 1.6 zetec climate, it has no traction control. can this be added into the car? I can not find anything in the module lists using obdII reader and pc.

is it just a matter of plugging in and setting up, or will I need sensors or anything to be fitted aswell?

Much better off without it, causes uneven wear of the brakes aswell as reduced mpg, I switch mine off every time I get in the car #FeelTheDifference as Ford used to say.

I retrofitted the original IVD system (ABS, ESP and TCS) to my previous Focus MK2. To retrofit this system you need the following parts:

* IVD pump assembly. This assembly consists of the pump and the BCM (Brake Control Module).

* IVD pump bracket. This bracket is different from the ABS pump bracket.

* 2x front ESP sensor. ESP sensors (Blue) are different from the ABS (Black) sensors.

* Steering angle sensor. This sensor assembly is mounted onto the clocspring behind the steering wheel.

* YAW sensor assembly. 

* Engine bay wiring harness. The IVD system has more/different wiring. The IVD pump has a 47-pole connector while the ABS system has a 26-pole connector.

* Interior wiring harness that includes the wiring to the steering angle sensor, the YAW sensor and (in case of the MK2) to the ESP switch.

As an alternative you can choose to modify the existing wiring harnesses and add the addtional wiring yourself. 

Below some pictures:

P2010124.jpg

IVD pump assembly.

P2080121.jpg

47-pole connector.

P2010126.jpg

IVD pump bracket and mounting hardware.

P2140006.jpg

ESP front sensors.

P2080124-1.jpg

Steering angel sensor.

P2080128.jpg

YAW sensor assembly.

P2140009.jpg

I made the additional wiring myself. This wiring is soldered onto the existing wiring harness and insulated with shrink tubing.

graphic4.jpg

graphic7.jpg

Location of the steering angle sensor.

P2160004.jpg

Location of the YAW sensor assembly.

P3020008.jpg

Original ABS pump removed.

P3020009.jpg

IVD pump assembly at the left. ABS pump assembly at the right. The IVD pump is a bit larger.

P3020016.jpg

The IVD pump installed.

P3020018.jpg

Soldering of the additional wiring.

P3020020.jpg

Wiring harness finished.

BCM-1.jpg

BCM2.jpg

BCM1.jpg

Programming and calibration of the system.

Because my car was electronically fully converted to a MK2.5 I used a MK2.5 IVD pump assembly. The MK2.5 IVD pump also supports the DDS tyre deflation detection system. I did not install the ESP switch because the MK2.5 has the ability to (de)activate the ESP system from the instrument cluster menu.

The complete retrofit took me about 12 hours and the needed parts costed me about €200,-. Except from the ESP front wheel sensors I bought all parts from a local scrap yard. I disassembled all parts myself to make sure they were in excellent condition and also to know the exact location of all parts. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, jay ward said:

hi all,

You must be driving it hard on the track known as Canvey Island to need ESP!! lol

I've never felt the need for it in mine, the 1.6 is hardly powerful enough to warrant it.

• Like 1

On Friday, April 28, 2017 at 8:28 AM, Jon84 said:

You must be driving it hard on the track known as Canvey Island to need ESP!! lol

I've never felt the need for it in mine, the 1.6 is hardly powerful enough to warrant it.

Most shows I saw was people saying there switching it off 😁

suppose you need to have it to switch it off but it doesn't increase performance if not fitted then fitted and turned off just adds weight😅

seriously just paint the calipers red👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JW1982 said:

I retrofitted the original IVD system (ABS, ESP and TCS) to my previous Focus MK2. To retrofit this system you need the following parts:.......

Was there anything left on your car before you got rid of it that was original or did you upgrade it all? :)

I'm just about to add headlamp washers to aid my quest of getting the retrofitted xenons through the MOT :)

• Like 1

Much better off without it, causes uneven wear of the brakes aswell as reduced mpg, I switch mine off every time I get in the car #FeelTheDifference as Ford used to say.

Not sure how it would cause uneven brake wear unless you're activating it all the time [emoji16] I try not to cos I can't stand the racket it makes!
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Micro said:

Not sure how it would cause uneven brake wear unless you're activating it all the time emoji16.png I try not to cos I can't stand the racket it makes!

you mean the one that sounds like the engine has fallen out of the car and is scraping on the floor? :)

the only thing I like about ESP is that it lets you know when you hit a corner fast enough, if your ESP light hasn't lit up on a corner, your going to slow :D

• Like 1

thanks for all the replies. I don't mind not having it, its good to know how to drive and feel the road. the other half hates not having it and she don't drive. had it on the old ex police car I just got rid of. that was a mk1 est 1.8.

once again thanks for the posts. will tell the other half to enjoy the new experience.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Jon84 said:

hi jon84

its been a long time since I have raced the 1/4 mile on Canvey, or even round the circuit.

gone are those days now. oh what fun it was with rear wheel drive and those things called carburettors.

• Like 1

you mean the one that sounds like the engine has fallen out of the car and is scraping on the floor? :)
the only thing I like about ESP is that it lets you know when you hit a corner fast enough, if your ESP light hasn't lit up on a corner, your going to slow :D

To be fair, the only time I ever set mine off is in the same three places -

1) An up hill right hand bend that as you hit it at 50mph there is a dip

2) Another right hand bend with a large divot right on the bend

3) Once again a right hander with a series of divots.

All make the loud clunk (like the self test) but no light flashing or continued activation. The brake pedal causes a "click" if you press and release for about 15-20secs after that.

I have to praise my ZE914s though, they seriously stick to anything (even when it got cold)! I used to set my esp off all the time with the Prestivo rubbish I had on before.
  • Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club