Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk 2.5 three button passive key

Doug F

My passive key has stopped operating the central locking,I can unlock and lock the car and it opens all the doors and start and drive away with the key,but does not operate the central locking from the fob.i replaced the battery and have also done the four turn key reprogramme with the ignition but when it beeps and I press the fob button no beep.i take it it's going to be an expensive call to my local ford dealer for a replacement chip/transponder?.manythanks in advance for any replies.

you have get the car to relearn the fob m8

try this 

1. Insert the ignition key and turn from position II (Ignition) to position 0 (All off) and back four times within three seconds. The car makes a noise that is the same noise i get when i open the door and leave the lights on. 

2. Remove the ignition key. The locking control system is now in "learn mode" for the next 20 seconds. A red warning system LED (By the clock) stays on continuously to indicate this if you have an LED. I don't have an LED so i just guessed it was in learn mode. 

3. During the 20 seconds press one of the transmitter buttons. The remotes signal and code number is learned by the locking module and is indicated by flashing the warning system LED. No indication is given if you don't have the LED. 

4. Wait until learn mode times out (20 seconds) or switch the ignition back to ON. I just put the key in the ignition and started the car. 

• Like 2

or try this

1. Turn the ignition from "Off" to "Run" eight times in ten seconds. Key stays in "Run" position on eighth cycle. The locks will cycle to confirm that you've entered programming mode.

2. Press any key on the first remote you're programming. Perform this within 20 seconds of Step 1. The door locks will cycle to confirm programming.

3. Repeat Step 2 with each additional remote, within 20 seconds of the prior programming. The locks will cycle after each successful programming.

4. Turn the key to the "Off" position to exit the programming mode. Remove key from ignition.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jackdor said:

you have get the car to relearn the fob m8

try this 

1. Insert the ignition key and turn from position II (Ignition) to position 0 (All off) and back four times within three seconds. The car makes a noise that is the same noise i get when i open the door and leave the lights on. 

2. Remove the ignition key. The locking control system is now in "learn mode" for the next 20 seconds. A red warning system LED (By the clock) stays on continuously to indicate this if you have an LED. I don't have an LED so i just guessed it was in learn mode. 

3. During the 20 seconds press one of the transmitter buttons. The remotes signal and code number is learned by the locking module and is indicated by flashing the warning system LED. No indication is given if you don't have the LED. 

4. Wait until learn mode times out (20 seconds) or switch the ignition back to ON. I just put the key in the ignition and started the car. 

Hi John tried this and got no second beep when I pressed a button on the key fob.

18 hours ago, jackdor said:

or try this

1. Turn the ignition from "Off" to "Run" eight times in ten seconds. Key stays in "Run" position on eighth cycle. The locks will cycle to confirm that you've entered programming mode.

2. Press any key on the first remote you're programming. Perform this within 20 seconds of Step 1. The door locks will cycle to confirm programming.

3. Repeat Step 2 with each additional remote, within 20 seconds of the prior programming. The locks will cycle after each successful programming.

4. Turn the key to the "Off" position to exit the programming mode. Remove key from ignition.

Thanks again for your posts John but feel reluctant to try this one as,I said the key open and locks the doors manually with the lock in the handle and starts the car fine.am just reluctant to try this in case I can't start the car afterwards.many thanks for taking the time to post.i will just have to use the key to open the car just now and will ask my mechanic friend what he thinks the way to go.

it will do no harm to try the remote leaning has nothing to do with pats

John in the "remote learning" do you mean turn the key as to start the car or the ll position on the ignition barrel?.i will give it a go but I am going to dismantle the passive key again first to see If I have  missed anything first.thanks again Doug.

The description of a "passive key" suggests that your car has keyless start. Keyless start/keyless entry are the only 2 systems that use a passive key. The standard remote central locking system uses a standard PATS keyfob or a PATS folding key. The passive key of the keyless start system uses the battery for both remote central locking and to transmit the PATS signal. If the car can be started normally by using the start button it basically means that the battery of the passive key is just fine. If it was a battery problem the car can not be started by the start button also.

7 hours ago, JW1982 said:

The description of a "passive key" suggests that your car has keyless start. Keyless start/keyless entry are the only 2 systems that use a passive key. The standard remote central locking system uses a standard PATS keyfob or a PATS folding key. The passive key of the keyless start system uses the battery for both remote central locking and to transmit the PATS signal. If the car can be started normally by using the start button it basically means that the battery of the passive key is just fine. If it was a battery problem the car can not be started by the start button also.

Hi wilco no I don't have keyless entry and start,I must have picked up the " passive key " idea from the pic in my owners manual by error as my key resembles said passive key.it must be a  PATS three button fob,just not sure what's wrong as the key opens all the doors with the handle lock and ignition starts and car runs as it should but the fob will not open the central locking. And as I have changed the battery in the fob and tried the four key turn reprogramme with the ignition,got the first beep but no beep when I pressed the key fob button.many thanks for your reply.

Ok, so you have a normal keyfob and no passive key. On a normal keyfob or folding key the battery inside is only used for the remote central locking. The PATS chip inside does not use any battery power.

Are you 100% sure that the battery of the keyfob is correctly installed? It is a common problem that people install the battery upside down (even at dealerships). If the battery is correctly installed and the remote central locking does still not work the keyfob may be defective. Every Ford dealer should be able to check if the keyfob transmits any signal when a button is pressed. 

On 30 April 2017 at 5:01 PM, JW1982 said:

Ok, so you have a normal keyfob and no passive key. On a normal keyfob or folding key the battery inside is only used for the remote central locking. The PATS chip inside does not use any battery power.

Are you 100% sure that the battery of the keyfob is correctly installed? It is a common problem that people install the battery upside down (even at dealerships). If the battery is correctly installed and the remote central locking does still not work the keyfob may be defective. Every Ford dealer should be able to check if the keyfob transmits any signal when a button is pressed. 

I did wonder about the battery but I fitted it as the manual says positive facing upwards.i may just have to go into the dealers and get then to check the fob.thanks for the replies.doug

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club