Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bi turbo diesel

Mazzie

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, I bought my Edge October 2016 and is the 2.0l diesel automatic.

There are a number of features i like about it, particularly the heated steering wheel! However, there is one driving characteristic which I absolutely detest, this being the lack of throttle response when you press the accelerator, I think it may be turbo lag. It typically occurs when you are entering a roundabout or pulling out from a junction you press the accelerator and expect to go and you get nothing for what seems an eternity, in reality its probably a couple of seconds. It is a horrible feeling and in my opinion should not have been approved for production. Has anybody else experienced this problem?

I don't find that at all. In fact I think it's quite quick off the mark- but runs out of steam quite quickly 

Rather than turbo lag, is it the hill start assist that causes this? I believe so anyway.

Never noticed this on my testdrive. However this is the behaviour that  plagues a lot of DSG/Stronic boxes.

• 2 weeks later...

As above, many cars with DSG or double clutch systems do this.  All you need to do is apply light throttle pressure slightly as you enter the roundabout to maintain a constant speed on the turn. When you are slowing down as in entering a roundabout, the double clutch system pre-engages the gear below the one you are using, you then change from deceleration to acceleration and there is a slight delay whilst the electronics realise you now need the gear above pre-engaged.  I am a retired traffic cop, and don't decelerate round a roundabout, but maintain a constant speed, by doing this, not only is the car at its most stable whilst cornering, but the electronics assume you will next accelerate, so you don't get the lag as you leave the roundabout.

I've got in the habbit of dropping down a gear (paddles!) as I'm almost about to lift off the brake pedal, so I know its already in a good gear and rev range for a poke on the throttle tho accelerate away. I do the same for overtaking ... I don't wait for the gearbox to auto step down (a second or so after I want it to). I find this combination really improves the pick up time and responsiveness overall.

Try driving in Sport mode and doing the shifts yourself ... its much more fun! :smile:

Thank you for your responses and good advice and yes I will certainly try out your suggestions.

I've only accidentally used the paddles once and thought the engine was going to blow up! What do they do? Do they maintain the lower gear or to they revert to automatic when you reach certain revs?

2 hours ago, NeilRS said:

I've only accidentally used the paddles once and thought the engine was going to blow up! What do they do? Do they maintain the lower gear or to they revert to automatic when you reach certain revs?

In Drive mode they let you override the auto change (although I think it will kick up when you hit the red line!). Not quite figured out when it goes from manual selection to auto, but it seems to be if you don't change for a while or start braking.

In Sport mode, once you manually change gear with the paddles, it stays in manual and to get it back to auto mode, you have to slide it into Drive mode. It will auto change at the rev limit it you push it that far :-) ... I've been there a few times.

I would say that it's not overly intuitive, but you can get more responsive drive out of it once you master it! ... one downside is that you find yourself changing up quite quick as it soon runs out of steam at the top end.

I do find that under braking, the engine/trans seems to be fighting you as it lags in the shift downs, so I sometimes manually knock it down during braking to try and give a little engine braking too (as well as being in a better gear for that instant pull away as mentioned before).  

Exactly why I drive a manual!  See no point in added expense for auto to then have to manual shift to drive the way you want.

I agree manual would be great in something small and sporty but in a big cruiser lump like the edge i see no reason for it. Its not like you can throw it down a back road in any sort of sporty way. 

This is my first auto and its great. I dont think we will ever go back to a manual for our main car as its so effortless around town and in traffic. 

2 hours ago, Jim610 said:

Exactly why I drive a manual!  See no point in added expense for auto to then have to manual shift to drive the way you want.

When driving in town, or in traffic jams on motorways, the automatic is superb, as you're not depressing the clutch every few metres.  For open motorway cruising too, the auto box is the natural choice in any large car.  Naturally driving enthusiasts will always prefer the ultimate control you have with the manual.  I consider myself a driving enthusiast and prefer a manual gearbox but bought the auto as I needed the extra horsepower to pull a horse trailer.  When towing with the auto box, the paddle shifts give you superb control at times of need, where a manual box would irritate.

Ultimately, it's each to their own.  You buy a car because it suits your own personal needs, whether that be manual or automatic.  As I said previously, I'm a retired traffic cop and my later years in traffic, virtually all our cars were switched to automatic, many having paddle shifts or tiptronic type manual shifters in them.  You'd be amazed at the performance of an automatic in the hands of the right person, which easily outperforms a manual.   On saying that, my days of thrashing cars about in anger have passed and if it weren't for our horse trailer, I would have a manual, in a smaller car.  Needs must.

• Like 1

Had a plan with the paddles today- quite good fun! Realised if you hold the + paddle it puts it back into drive. 

• Like 1

Neil, Thanks. I didn't know that... 

Does it work from within Sport mode, or when manually shifting in Drive?

• 5 months later...

Holding + paddle for about 1+ second will get you back to auto, no matter if you are in D or S.

Manual will revert by itself back to auto if in D(rive) if you drive constantly for few seconds, and will also shift to lower gears as you brake / slow down / stop the vehicle. If you stop, will engage Auto.

While in S(port), if you go to manual, will keep that gear selected indefinitely, until you change it, you go back in D(rive) (or other position of the gearbox) or hold + paddle for 1+ second. Beware that over-rev protection is NOT kicking in S(port)! Or, if it does, it's too late! :)

Have a look here :-

http://www.energy-tuning.co.uk/

And before anyone starts, its all OK, perfectly legal and above board as long as you declare it to the insurance people. Most of the time it makes no difference to your premium.

H

Not much use as Ford Edge is not on the pick list 😟

You don't need a 'pick list'. The Edge engine is a 2.0 TDCi, pretty much the same as the 180ps fitted to the latest level Ford Mondeo, the only difference is the 210ps in the edge is differently tuned. If you have to pick one go for the Mondeo 2.0 TDCi 180ps Powershift.

On 27/10/2017 at 1:08 PM, Hamster said:

Have a look here :-

http://www.energy-tuning.co.uk/

And before anyone starts, its all OK, perfectly legal and above board as long as you declare it to the insurance people. Most of the time it makes no difference to your premium.

H

Hmm. Not my experience. I had my ZTT diesel fitted with a tuning box and it made a difference of around 10% to my premium.

On 27/10/2017 at 7:36 PM, Hamster said:

You don't need a 'pick list'. The Edge engine is a 2.0 TDCi, pretty much the same as the 180ps fitted to the latest level Ford Mondeo, the only difference is the 210ps in the edge is differently tuned. If you have to pick one go for the Mondeo 2.0 TDCi 180ps Powershift.

But buying a tuning kit for a car which is similar rather than the same would mean you are not getting optimal tuning. My Edge is the bi-turbo 210ps. 

The operation of the tuning boxes is really rather simple. All they do is piggy back into the fuel rail and effectively just raise the fuel pressure. Albeit they do this in a precise and controlled way. The entire diesel injection system of a Bi-Turbo 210ps is almost identical to that of the same engine'd 180ps Mondeo 180ps. The software load on the tuning box for the 180ps will work just as well on a 210ps. The 210ps may be differently tuned, but this matters not to the common rail pressure. Just make sure that 'Auto' is specified, as a manual has a different power curve. It might be that in time a software load is developed specifically for the Edge but right now the 180ps will do just fine.

The most important part of the 'Pick List' is to make sure the connectors on the wiring fit the multi-plugs which connect to the common rail as these can be diferent between manufacturers. Most Ford ones however are identical.

And no, I don't work for the tuning box people and neither do i get commission......................... Sadly. 

I assume the 180 comes in auto option ?  

If you guys are so keen to pimp up your Edges why don't you go to Superchips.co.uk who do actually list the Edge, both engines, complete with power curves.

Don't quite "get it" myself but each to his own.

59f6eafa44593_EdgePowercurve.thumb.jpg.97ec3ed2913c97f1bead1f82048bd48c.jpg

14 hours ago, Edge of Reason said:

I assume the 180 comes in auto option ?  

Yes, you can get a Mondeo 2.0TDCi Powershift (Auto) 180ps. (I know the Edge Auto doesn't come with this). Superchips is an option but they remap your ECU. OK, until a Ford Dealer updates the ECU software to resolve an issue and this overwrites the Superchips update and you have to pay again to remap it with Superchips.

To 'get it' drive one with 'it' and you'll never drive without 'it' again.

H

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club