Do Not Sell My Personal Information

HELP! Auto relock

xn85

My Edge was at the dealers today to reprogram the towbar electrics, tailgate opening and auto relock. I haven't tested the towing electrics yet, but the tailgate now opens fully.

My problem is with the auto relock. It still doesn't work and the dealer told me the Edge doesn't have this feature... I've raised this on here before and some people have auto relock working - some don't. It might be another difference between Sync2 and a Sync3.

Does anyone have auto relock (where the car relocks automatically if a door is not opened within 45 seconds of unlocking) operating on an Edge with Sync2?

Many thanks

Dave

i thought all fords came with that feature , my basic focus does. will check an edge tommorow.

Mine has it which has sync3. Came turned on as standard. 

What was the issue you had with your tailgate?

Ian - I can't believe that the Edge would not have auto relock. I too thought all Fords with remote locking had this! I'm hoping the dealer was BS-ing as I'm now paranoid about unlocking the car by accident. I find the remote fob very sensitive and I often unlock the car by leaving the fob in my pocket when sitting down at work. I'm thinking of investing a silicone fob cover to see if that helps...

Brad - My tailgate only opened 3/4 and needed manually lifting the rest of the way. It wouldn't reset to open higher, but could be set to only open 1/2 way, etc... I kept forgetting and cracking my head...

I'm sure mine never opens fully which is why I asked. I have another issue that mine has to go. In for so will see what they say. 

Just tried mine- doesnt re lock. Sync 3. 

Have you walked away and left your key some distance away before going back to car?

Nope- I stood next to it and looked like a fool. Will make sure it's enabled on the menu on the way to work 

Just tried my edge with sync 2 and it wont auto re-lock, 

11 hours ago, xn85 said:

the dealer told me the Edge doesn't have this feature... 

Just looked at the user manual for a 2016 Edge (Sync2) that is downloadable from ford.co.uk.

It says 

Automatic Relocking
The doors automatically relock if you do not open a door within 45 seconds of unlocking the doors with the remote control. The door locks and the alarm return to their previous state. You can disable this function from the Information Display.See  General Information

I'd take the manual and stick it firmly under the nose your dealer, he obviously needs educating.

My manual (Sync 3) has an identical statement in it and my auto relocking works.  

My Mondeo (Convers+, ie, not sync) also had this feature.  Your dealer is talking brown smelly stuff!

Dave, as per my comments in your "towbar electrics" post below my Edge went into the dealership last week for them to sort the "auto relock" plus a few other jobs & they failed to fix any of them.

My Edge is also Sync 2 but as Jim states the manual (both paper & online for the 2016 Sync 2 Edge) cover the "auto relock" so it should be there & work. However, the manual I am looking at makes no reference to being able to disable the feature it just states:

Automatic Relocking

The doors automatically relock if you do not open a door within 45 seconds of unlocking the doors with the remote control. The door locks and the alarm return to their previous state.

So my Edge goes back in later this month & in the meantime the dealership are contacting the Ford Technical people for their advice & hopefully a solution to the problem.

PS As the Edge demonstrator (Sync 3) at the dealership does "auto relock" they have, so far, accepted it should "auto relock" plus I copied the extract from the manual & gave it to them.

• Like 1

Fiddled with the menu today and no way of switching it on. I'm in my office now do will try from a distance. 

it works from a distance. 

42 minutes ago, NeilRS said:

it works from a distance. 

Neil

Do you mean that if you are far enough away from the car for it not to sense the key but if you are closer, so it can sense the key, it doesn't auto re-lock?

Na.  Just tried that it still auto-relocked with me stood next to the car.

I have sync 2 with a towbar fitted and can confirm my car does auto lock. However it did stop working when my towbar was incorrectly coded but once that was resolved the auto lock feature now works as it should.

• Like 1

It didn't work for me stood next to the car- but it did when I unlocked from 100 mtrs away 

Unlocking using the fob or by touching the back of a door handle, and remain standing next to the door or being at some distance (20m+), ALL cases cause mine to re-lock after 45 seconds. w/Sync3.

• Like 1

I was rushing out the other night in a taxi which picked me up from home- as I was stuffing the car keys in my pocket I spent the night worried that I'd inadvertently unlocked the car or worse, opened the boot 

2 hours ago, NeilRS said:

I was rushing out the other night in a taxi which picked me up from home- as I was stuffing the car keys in my pocket I spent the night worried that I'd inadvertently unlocked the car or worse, opened the boot 

Exactly! I am now paranoid whenever I leave the car that I might accidentally have unlocked it again. My office is within range of the remote control, but I can't see the car. On a number of occasions I've gone back to my car to find it unlocked.

6 hours ago, llo2006 said:

I have sync 2 with a towbar fitted and can confirm my car does auto lock. However it did stop working when my towbar was incorrectly coded but once that was resolved the auto lock feature now works as it should.

Now that is just what I wanted to hear! My towbar was incorrectly coded and my tailgate only opened 3/4. Now coded (apparently) correctly, the tailgate opens fully.

18 hours ago, NeilRS said:

When I had my old Kuga, I sat in the house with the keys in my jeans pocket and it was chucking it down outside ... I must have been pressing (and holding) the unlock button, 'cos when I checked the car before going to bed, all the windows were down and it was p**s wet through everywhere !! Don't keep keys in my pocket anymore ! :blush:

I have sync 3 and auto re-lock works fine on mine.  Mirrors re-fold and indicators flash to confirm re-lock has taken place.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club