Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Mondeo Wheel size choice.

vectra

Following on from this thread >> Ordering new Mondeo
Does anyone run a Mondeo ST lineX ( Based on Titanium ) on 19's?

The STlineX comes with 18's as standard but I am anxious to spec 19's for it.
I am concerened about road noise more than comfort loss.
Would the 19's be much louder or would it be minimal?
Hoping to order in the next week or two.
Also
I have been reading about the slowness or issues somewhere with the Sync3
Is it as bad as I hear?

Thanks

Well, based on no knowledge whatsoever of the actual vehicle, I would imagine that while the tyre noise would be a bit worse it is the kind of thing that is very variable by tyre brand/type and rating, so my impression is that you'd probably be able to find a relatively quiet type of tyre that would minimise the problem.

That said, be aware that going 19" already increases the cost and limits the choice of tyre, so you might find that limiting the choice yet further is not what you'd call a good thing.

• Like 2

Regarding sync 3, are you sure you weren't reading about sync 2 ? That was very slow, sync 3 is MUCH faster. I've not noticed any slowness in mine. Response to the touchscreen is pretty much instant, and  even voice recognition seems to work 

• Like 2

My mondeo has 19 with Bridgestones on what are not the best but no worst than the 18 on my old st

• Like 1

Cant help with the wheel size, though I'd have thought 19's would generate more noise, however the standard noise dampening is excellent...

As for SYNC 3, I have been amazed at how responsive it is, the only time I ever see any sort of lag is when it sin CarPlay mode and awaiting the phone response, even then its a miniscule delay.

My friend has a high end Merc with loads of bells and whistles, his infotainment system was noticeably more laggy than SYNC 3.  Pretty amazing for a humble Mondeo

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The Latman said:

Cant help with the wheel size, though I'd have thought 19's would generate more noise, however the standard noise dampening is excellent...

As for SYNC 3, I have been amazed at how responsive it is, the only time I ever see any sort of lag is when it sin CarPlay mode and awaiting the phone response, even then its a miniscule delay.

My friend has a high end Merc with loads of bells and whistles, his infotainment system was noticeably more laggy than SYNC 3.  Pretty amazing for a humble Mondeo

Thanks.
Yeah, its just I have a friend who is sort of "Everything I choose is the best"

He has this habit of running everything down.
He recently was in a Ford with the sync 3 fitted and thought it was shockingly slow.
I have the top spec Discover Pro in my current Passat which has everythingh.
I am thinking of not speccing the nav in the Mondeo as I plan on using google maps. ( saves me €500 )

He is annoying me at this point.
Thanks for the reply. And Yes, I think I will add the 19's.
The Mondeo was extremely quiet compared to the Passat when I drove it.

I am thinking of not speccing the nav in the Mondeo as I plan on using google maps. ( saves me €500 )

Your spec levels in Eire must be well different to UK then , since everything except the basic 'Style' comes with DAB and NAV over here.

My Mk5 Mondeo is a LOT quieter than my old Mk4.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ianincheshire said:

Your spec levels in Eire must be well different to UK then , since everything except the basic 'Style' comes with DAB and NAV over here.

My Mk5 Mondeo is a LOT quieter than my old Mk4.

Brochure attached

Mondeo_eBrochure.pdf

This is the UK brochure...... Zetec & above comes with DAB/NAV 

Ive been very impressed with the Mondeo since taking delivery in Feb.  Its ridiculously quiet, and as for SYNC 3, yer pal is talking baws.  Unless he's been in an older vehicle with SYNC 2 and just assumed it was the up to date revision.

No lag at all (unless its waiting on a smart phone response, and like I said, totally negligible)

Mondeo_eBrochure (1).pdf

• Like 1

Brochure attached

Thanks, that's very interesting. I had assumed that Eire spec vehicles, being RHD, would be similar to the UK but that's not the case!. You seem to have a more restricted set of basic specs i.e no Style, HEV or Vignale. In the UK all models except for Style have the Ford DAB with Sync 3 and NAV as standard and the Sony DAB/NAV is an option on all but the Vignale which is standard. None of your specs have NAV as standard and ONLY the Sony system seems to be available as an option.

and as for SYNC 3, yer pal is talking baws.  Unless he's been in an older vehicle with SYNC 2 and just assumed it was the up to date revision.

Yup, I drove one with SYNC 2 in the Netherlands before I got my Mk5 and the difference between SYNC 2 and 3 is like day & night. SYNC 2 was VERY laggy...

Would it be worth getting the Nav you think?

On 5/5/2017 at 7:45 PM, vectra said:

Would it be worth getting the Nav you think?

The Ford Nav is really good, I have been very impressed with it as well as the integration with the audio commands...

That being said, when im in the car I have my iPhone plugged in and am pretty much always using CarPlay, with this engaged you can only use Apple Maps (or google maps ifits Android Auto I guess).  I can count on 1 hand the amount of times Ive actually used the Ford Nav, whereas Ive used Apple Maps a lot (purely because the phone is connected and im playing music through it).  Yes, I can disable CarPlay and use the phone as a medai device, but honestly, with Siri available in the car and with how well I find CarPlay to work......why would I!  :-)

Im not saying the Ford Nav is bad, far from it its really good, but, if you want to save some cash, then you have an excellent substitute with Apple CarPlay or Google Maps

I haven't actually tried an Android in the car so cant speak for how well Google Maps works in it.

Hope that helps....

Im really surprised that the Nav isnt a standard thing, as you can see by the UK specs, its available from a really low trim level

Lat

• Like 1

Thanks for that reply.
You know. The €550 extra for the nav would probablt be better spent on a new phone.
Yes,
Decision made.
New phone and sync3 in car. Thanks

• Like 1

On your wheel size query, I have a ST Line X with 19" wheels. 

I had the use of 2 Titanium Mondeo courtesy cars before my ST X with 18's  

Ive not noticed any difference in road noise or ride comfort. 

The car looks amazing in the 19" wheels. Go for it I say. 

And the Sync 3 is a huge difference on the Sync 2. My Edge had the 2, seems a lot of folk waited for the release of 3 before buying. 

Enjoy your ST X. What options did you go for if any?

• Like 1

On 09/05/2017 at 11:06 AM, Kylinski said:

On your wheel size query, I have a ST Line X with 19" wheels. 

I had the use of 2 Titanium Mondeo courtesy cars before my ST X with 18's  

Ive not noticed any difference in road noise or ride comfort. 

The car looks amazing in the 19" wheels. Go for it I say. 

And the Sync 3 is a huge difference on the Sync 2. My Edge had the 2, seems a lot of folk waited for the release of 3 before buying. 

Enjoy your ST X. What options did you go for if any?

Excellent reply
Thanks for that as I was slightly concerned about road noise.

For now the spec is

Mondeo 5 door ST Line X 150PS
Frozen White
19" Rock Met. alloys 
Adaptive LED Headlamps 
Rear Spoiler (std)
Rear Privacy Glass

I will add a few more nits.
I wont be ordering until next week

What color did you go for?

13 hours ago, vectra said:

Excellent reply
Thanks for that as I was slightly concerned about road noise.

For now the spec is

Mondeo 5 door ST Line X 150PS
Frozen White
19" Rock Met. Alloys 
Adaptive LED Headlamps 
Rear Spoiler (std)
Rear Privacy Glass

I will add a few more nits.
I wont be ordering until next week

What color did you go for?

I went for Shadow Black. Looks stunning! 

I opted for a car that was already built with pretty much all the options I wanted. 

Mondeo ST Line X 5 door

210 Powershift auto 

19" rock metal alloys

Adaptive headlights (must have)

Rear spoiler

Reversing camera 

Privacy glass

I thought I'd miss the Sony DAB that was in my Edge and 2 courtesy mondeo's though the Ford system is very good. 

• Like 1

Sounds lovely.
I would love the 210 but anything like that is an outragous price here.
Any pics of it?

I would especially like to see pics of the wheels.

Thanks

Shame cos the 210 engine is sweet. Had the same block in my Edge but with more weight to pull.  I'm finding I'm able to overtake with ease, and sport mode is even better. 

Why is it expensive to have a bigger engine there? 

Here's some pics, not very good as I didn't want to include the reg number. 

IMG_0827.JPG

IMG_0842.JPG

• Like 1

The LatMobile is (a Very dirty) Shadow Black as well.  Looks stunning in that colour.   

3 hours ago, Kylinski said:

Shame cos the 210 engine is sweet. Had the same block in my Edge but with more weight to pull.  I'm finding I'm able to overtake with ease, and sport mode is even better. 

Why is it expensive to have a bigger engine there? 

Stupid government with the VRT, ( Money for them )
On top of VAT
VRT rates rises with engine emmisions.

150 6sd. Manual 36,995
210 powershift 44,195 :(

Beautiful car by the way
I am liking those wheels even more.
Just wondering. What tyres did it come with?
Please don't tell me Contis??

Zooming in on the photos, I believe they are Contis 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kylinski said:

Zooming in on the photos, I believe they are Contis 

:angry:
Damn.

14 hours ago, The Latman said:

Whats wrong with continental tyres?

They are fine when they are new. But once they wear down some they must be the noisiest tyres I ever in my life came across.
Dreadfull they are.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club