Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Service Now Or Later?

auldreekie

Bought a 2014 fiesta titanium 1.0 ecoboost three weeks ago, currently 14000mls on the clock, the mint condition of the car inside and out reflects the low mileage. everything seems to be running fine at the moment.

While browsing on Google tonight I came across some not so good reviews on the dealer I bought it from, Arnie Clark. Apparently my car had a service a day or so before I took ownership, service book was stamped but I don't know what, if anything was carried out.  

I declined to purchase a service plan from AC as I intend to use a Ford dealership (not Evans Halshaw) not far from me,  a friend of mine who I trust uses this ford dealer for his fairly new mondeo and reckons it is better than EH. Given the reviews on AC would I be wise to book my car in for a service now at the Ford Dealer or take my chance until net service date?

Id guess they claimed the oil was changed? 

Check your dipstick.. Does it look fresh? (more gold/yellow than brown/black) 

You could even undo the airbox and check the filter is fresh 

Other than that you'd be taking plugs out etc which isn't worth the fuss as you'd know from the other two things 

• Like 1

Agree with Ginger Flame above. If you are that worried you know what to do, Book it in for a service,, then you can sleep at night.

• Like 1

check the brake pads, i assumed that they would have been changed when i purchased from a dealer but they hadn't. I appreciate it isn't necessary on every service but mine were only at 20%

last year I bought a fiesta from a main ford dealer. It was due its first service in 8 weeks so I said I would only buy it if they did the service without charge before I took possession of it. A few days later I collected it and the service book was stamped. I was never sure if it had been serviced or not (I only really cared about oil and filter change). From the oil on the dipstick I could not really tell, it looked more golden than black but for a car with only 9000 miles on from new I was not sure what it would look like if it hadn't been changed.

Anyone who has ever changed the filter on a fiesta diesel (paper element type, not disposable metal canister) will confirm it is virtually impossible to change the filter without some oil going astray down the filter housing. There was no sign of oil, or of cleaning around there.

|I couldn't see the sump plug as there is an undertray which I was not keen to remove just to look at the sump plug.

It must be very tempting for places to stamp the service book and not do anything. And it might not actually be a company decision, it might just be the mechanic in the service bay who lied to his employers about doing it.   Sorry, not trying to offend all mechanics

• Like 1

Arnold shark tend not to change the air filter. They also put budget tyres and budget brake pads on if they have to on sale. 

I bought my current car from them and had to get every single thing they did redone, Wiper Blades & tracking as well... 

Given the low milage on your car you're probably ok, but it's worth double checking yourself. 

• Like 1

The motor industry service-wise is very much about trust and in my experience the small independents can be trusted a lot more than the biggest dealers! Its about building up trust with them over a number of years giving them regular custom and trusting that the job will be done right, first time every time!

• 2 weeks later...

If you don't trust garage and they have a bad review then my advice would be to service it as even if they did service your car they most likely put the wrong oil in it as the ecoboost uses the not so common 5-20 oil 

• Like 1

If it was me, I'd have changed the oil, seeing as the timing belt is wet (in the oil) you MUST use the correct oil and absolutely never use an oil flush. I know because my engineering background and I also asked ford dealership a day ago about the flush. Their response was to never use a flush for the belt's sake 

by the way, if you look at vospers dealership web site for parts, you actually get service parts much cheaper than motor factors! Better to use ford branded stuff cheaper. The oil is Castrol rebranded to ford labelling too. 

Plugs will be good until 37.5k miles too, look in your service book 

• Like 1