Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Retrofitting Start/Stop. Is it possible?

lwatson99

Hi, bit of an interesting one here.

I activated the 'test' mode on my Mk7.5 fiesta the other day and noticed that there is an 'auto stop start' light built in to the dashboard display. 

Is it possible, or has anyone tried to retrofit and activate start stop onto a Fiesta when it isn't built in. 

My car in particular is an early 2013 Zetec Fiesta MK7.5.

Thanks in advance :) 

Good question.. I believe a sensor is needed for the clutch pedal but I don't know what else would be needed 

Send OBDiscovery a message

If there's something he doesn't know then it's not worth knowing 

• Like 1

Assuming it wasn't fitted anyway, Stop/Start uses a different starter motor.

Also I don't think the 1.25 was ever meant for stop start, so it will probably do it more harm than good if you somehow got it working.

The light is there just so they can use the same dash across multiple models.

• Like 4

question should be - is it worth it?

never use mine and battery has to have full charge to work properly. - even when it does work / switched on I haven't really benefitted enough from it to justify having it in the first place. just another one of those gadgets waiting to go wrong.

• Like 1

I really like my stop start 

Also I didn't realise you had the 1.25

1 hour ago, GingerFlame said:

I really like my stop start 

So do I.   I live in the City of Nottingham and I average 39.82 mpg.   I'm pretty sure that stop / start has something to do with that.

• Like 2

On 05/05/2017 at 1:17 PM, lwatson99 said:

My car in particular is an early 2013 Zetec Fiesta MK7.5.

This would be the old four cylinder, not Ecoboost?

Don't quote me because I can't say with certainty but I suspect that stop/start is only applied to engines with direct injection, not manifold injection. My reasoning being that with DI, the engine stops with a cylinder full of air and the starter only needs to kick it past TDC. Whereas MI engines only start on the third chug.

Manifold injection doesn't preclude the use of start-stop. What it does preclude though is starterless (re)start where directly-injected fuel is added then ignited to get the piston moving again without the need for an electric starter to create the motion. It doesn't even need maximum compression to have occurred as the aim is to just create movement from an explosion. That is unfortunately not the system that Ford use though.

(Not that I am saying this helps the OP in any way - I think the effort involved in attempting to retrofit it could be quite substantial)

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies. It was merely out of curiousity as to whether it was a simple OBD modification or similar. 

I am no expert whatsoever on engines other than the fact they make the car move when fed with petrol!

Thanks for all the replies though, learnt a lot about my car straight away!

• Like 1

It is definitely a worthwhile and interesting discussion to have so don't feel any negativity from the err... negativity! :wink:

• Like 1

Quite interesting topic. Never thought of retrofitting start/stop, however I hate city driving anyway, and tbh I cry every time I stop my engine then restart it a few seconds later because I completely missed the parking space and didn't realise, so it's probably not a modification for me anyway. We have a bunch of transit vans at work that go a maximum of a mile before getting stopped for 5 minutes, then go back the other way. Pretty much all of them have had some sort of problem and had to back to Ford. Even had a cam belt snap after 10,000 miles on one.

On 09/05/2017 at 7:15 PM, MJNewton said:

Manifold injection doesn't preclude the use of start-stop...

Indeed. The question is not whether it could be done but whether it has been done. For reasons given.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club