Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus MK2 Drivebelt?

Paddy94

Hey guys. 

Leaving my car in to get the timing belt and water pump done next week and I'm wanting to get the main drive belt done as well. My car has aircon, so i think it has two different belts? The air con belt looks almost new but the main belt (Alternator, water pump, etc) is looking a bit worse for wear. What I'm wondering is, is it possible to just change the one belt? Or will I need to change both?

Also, I've been looking at belts on eurocarparts and was wondering if this one would fit? http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Ford_Focus_1.6_2005/p/car-parts/belts-chains-and-tensioners/engine-parts/car-drive-belt/?202777285&1&0d3d200c076dbb0a8307066a2f3f98037cabac16&000108 

Thanks.

49 minutes ago, Paddy94 said:

Hey guys. 

Leaving my car in to get the timing belt and water pump done next week and I'm wanting to get the main drive belt done as well. My car has aircon, so i think it has two different belts? The air con belt looks almost new but the main belt (Alternator, water pump, etc) is looking a bit worse for wear. What I'm wondering is, is it possible to just change the one belt? Or will I need to change both?

Also, I've been looking at belts on eurocarparts and was wondering if this one would fit? http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Ford_Focus_1.6_2005/p/car-parts/belts-chains-and-tensioners/engine-parts/car-drive-belt/?202777285&1&0d3d200c076dbb0a8307066a2f3f98037cabac16&000108 

Thanks.

There are two separate belts on my diesel focus. One is the timing belt and the most important belt to change because if it snaps you'll likely end up with a damaged engine.  The second belt is the auxilliary belt or Drive belt that runs round the alternator and air con etc..  Some garages will change the drive belt at the same time as they have to take it off to get access to the timing belt but best to check with them if you wanted it changed.  The interval for the drive belt change on my focus is 125,000 or 10 years I think.  Hope that helps.

11 hours ago, Albert27 said:

There are two separate belts on my diesel focus. One is the timing belt and the most important belt to change because if it snaps you'll likely end up with a damaged engine.  The second belt is the auxilliary belt or Drive belt that runs round the alternator and air con etc..  Some garages will change the drive belt at the same time as they have to take it off to get access to the timing belt but best to check with them if you wanted it changed.  The interval for the drive belt change on my focus is 125,000 or 10 years I think.  Hope that helps.

He Might have a 1.6 Petrol, I don't know what the configuration for the aircon and alternator is for that.  I wouldn't recommend leaving your timing belt to 125k tho, I changed mine about 75, the close to 125 you get the move chance it can go wrong, not sure its something I would want to take any chances on tbh!

Since you need to take the aux belt(s) off to get the timing belt sorted, then it seems daft not to change them at the same time, but do you need to? nope

• Like 2

The 1.6 Duratec Petrol engine has 2 different drive belts. 

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor focus duratec drive belts

The 1st drive belt drives the water pump and the alternator and the 2nd drive belt drives the airconditioning pump. Both belts are stretch belts without tensioners. Stretch belts can officially only be installed once (however there are ways to reuse them). Ford prescribes to remove the belts by cutting them. 

Personally I would not even bother to reuse the stretch belts. The stretch belts are pretty inexpensive and reusing them will void any warranty on the timing belt change. If a stretch belt snaps it potentionally can cut the timing belt cover and timing belt which will cause serious engine damage.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dee_82 said:

I wouldn't recommend leaving your timing belt to 125k tho, I changed mine about 75, the close to 125 you get the move chance it can go wrong

Haynes reckon about that too, i think it's 62500 in the book.  I got mine done around the 80k mark and just in time according to the mechanic.

• 4 months later...

i don't think you can. as said in posts above it is a stretch belt. it is installed with a special guide that feeds belt on to pulleys as you turn them. and it is removed by cutting off. 

• Like 1

Is the 1.6 petrol a 16v then? I know little really but looks like dohc from that pic?

rumour has it that iantt uses an alternator stretch belt to hold up his pants........

:biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

rumour has it that iantt uses an alternator stretch belt to hold up his pants........

biggrin.png

nope, there round my ankles all the time. lol
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hey , could anyone point out the waterpump position in this photo ?

i have the same engine and need to keep an eye on a shoddy dealership repair  lol  :biggrin:

Screen-shot-2013-03-19-at-10_08_12.png.bab5f49b82bcd65a90f125b58a4958c7.png

13 hours ago, biff55 said:

:biggrin:

Do they do them that big? Lol 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, biff55 said:

Hey , could anyone point out the waterpump position in this photo ,  i've got a shoddy dealership repair i need to keep an eye on lol  :biggrin:

Just under the engine mount, to the right. Flat pulley with 4 bolts.

• Thanks 1

Thank you guys for the confirmation. I figured it was a stretch belt from deep research and a whole day staring under the hood looking at the engine to find an adjuster lool

• Like 1

A little on topic, useful with the engine picture. Where would you support the engine from underneath whilst replacing the right engine mount? The haynes manual just refers to using a jack with a block of wood but does not specify where is safe to do this.

I also notice there is a position for an engine crane? on the top left which I can probably borrow for 10 minutes whilst at work if it would be more suitable to support the engine (and the advantage of not having to remove the engine undershield!).

under the sump with a block of wood to spread the load is the usual place.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys my two little belts flew from their tracks how can i put them back on? 

The ones that need cut when replacing.

12 hours ago, Chicinel said:

Hi guys my two little belts flew from their tracks how can i put them back on? 

The ones that need cut when replacing.

How did that happen?  There must be a problem with one of the pulleys?  You can put them on with a thin screwdriver if you don't want to buy the proper tool.  Just put the screwdriver across the pulley and slowly/carefully turn the pulley at the same time as gently pushing the belt on.  Obviously being careful not to stick the screwdriver through the belt lol.

• Like 1

And most important watch your fingers.

I can tell from experience that getting stuck between the belt and the pully while slowly turning the pully does not feel very nice. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hi, is there anyway of deleting AC on my fiesta 1.6tdci.. or does the belt have to run around the AC pulley ? Thanks 

10 hours ago, Tomo140792 said:

Hi, is there anyway of deleting AC on my fiesta 1.6tdci.. or does the belt have to run around the AC pulley ? Thanks 

You'd have to remove the spring tensioner, but as long as it clears the engine mount you should be OK with it just around the crank and alternator.  You may find less contact patch around the alternator though.

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

You'd have to remove the spring tensioner, but as long as it clears the engine mount you should be OK with it just around the crank and alternator.  You may find less contact patch around the alternator though.

Okay thanks , would I need a shorter belt or can I use the existing one? 

54 minutes ago, Tomo140792 said:

Okay thanks , would I need a shorter belt or can I use the existing one? 

You'd need a much shorter belt.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club