Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sidelights on with unlock/door open?

paulnb57

Guys,

Just taken delivery of a 2017 Tourneo Connect Zetec.....when I unlock/open a door the sidelights come on.
We run a dog in agility competition and downtime he is in a dog crate in the boot, with the rear hatch open, the sidelights stay on for ages and the hatch is opened and closed quite a lot, the car usually stands idle for up to three days at competition. I have a concern that we may flatten the battery. I have removed the bulbs from the boot courtesy lights and can switch off the interior lights.....
So, is it possible to disable the lights on, when a door opens function, either myself or thru the diagnostic hook up at the dealership.
Failing that how does the car "know" the rear hatch is open? The days of the old rubber covered switch that the door pushes in when closed seem long gone!....Perhaps I could trick the car into thinking the rear hatch is closed, if for example the switch is operated by a magnet?....

Thanks!

I fitted LED side lights to mine. That'll use far less power so it'd help. Plus I think they're on a timer. I left my lights on the other day and when I come out they were off until I started the engine again. Not 100 percent about the timer but I'm guessing. 

Hope this helps you 

• 3 weeks later...

Most modern cars have an automatic timeout if a door is left open so I suspect the Ford also has it. If yours has stop/start it will have a heavy duty battery to cope with this so the chances of flat battery are unlikely. Regarding getting a dealer to look at the diagnostics...my local dealers know nothing about this model. I presumed I would be able to disable the internal alarm sensors for when I leave my dogs in the back....the manual shows how but the dash display is different and gave no alarm options. The dealer couldn't understand it either and it ending up going in for a whole day whilst they liaised with Ford. Turns out that the manual is wrong and my 2016 Titanium does not come with a cat 1 alarm only an engine immobiliser so there is no siren. 

Edited by chaucer
missed a bit off by mistake

• 4 years later...

Hello, I’ve got a 2015 Ford Connect Trend, when the side or back doors are open (which as a builder they are, midst of the day) the front and rear lights come on and stay on ! It flattens the battery, anyone know if this can be switched off ??

23 hours ago, SimonK11 said:

Hello, I’ve got a 2015 Ford Connect Trend, when the side or back doors are open (which as a builder they are, midst of the day) the front and rear lights come on and stay on ! It flattens the battery, anyone know if this can be switched off ??

Can't say I know anything, but maybe there's some sort of option in Forscan? 

Failing that, you could swap out the bulbs for LEDs. Not a perfect solution but it should reduce the amount of power being drained.

I have to leave my vehicle open for ventilation also due to dogs and I use one of these-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202609594088

You could just get the shortest one and that would allow the lock to engage whilst the boot is left open.

That would allow the sidelights to switch off.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club