Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus MK3 De-Gas Hose split

Spikecast

Hi all,

Wondering if someone could offer some advice. Cut a long story short the de-gas hose on the Mk3 was on a re-call around 2 years ago and having bought a used 12 plate MK3 1.0T Eco Jennings Ford notified me a month after owning the car that the hose was on a recall, no idea why they sold me it knowing it needed checking but hey-ho. Anyway, I have noticed from time to time the coolant dropped slightly but never enough to be of concern but I have mentioned this to Jennings on a few trips verbally and they have twice (3 times including the recall visit) confirmed as recently as March 2017 (again verbally) having looked at the pipe that no its the correct hose.

Fast forward to today Mrs arrives back from Derby trip (2 hr drive), pops into the house to collect daughter and goes to the local swimming baths around a mile away. She pulls up an hour later and couldn't get on the driveway so leaves the car parked out the front. 10 mins later I notice steam coming from the bonnet so I open it up to check and my coolant tank is pretty much depleted and that the de-gas hose is soaked. Called out green flag and they have a look and find a huge crack underneath the de-gas hose and one end pretty much breaks off in his hand. I've got a report from them confirming the fault but they didn't have a replacement pipe.

Just wondering where I stand with Jennings on this? Clearly the known recalled pipe is at fault and I've been advised that it doesn't appear like there's been any permanent damage as it's split as the Mrs has pulled up thank god, I can see the coolant trail starts just up the road. I was wondering if anyone else had similar issued with a recalled hose? I'm personally not convinced it's been changed but hey ho!

Any advice/thoughts would be appreciated.  

can you take a photo of the degas hose and where its broke also?

looks like your not the only one if its the later type hose that is leaking

Hi mate,

i will get a pictire tomorrow morning and upload it :) hopefully get something sorted wth Jennings tomorrow and get it in.

Update - spoke with Jennings who are happy for the car to be towed to them today but won't carry out an inspection until monday. They flat out refused to give me a courtesy car even though they known fine well this part is prone to faults and I don't see why I should be inconvenienced, so I will be back onto them about that. Waiting for car to be collected at present. I cannot understand how it's split/cracked when it's apparently the newer hose? Here are some pics:

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

image3.JPG

That looks like an old style hose to me, is the hose rubber or plastic from the expansion bottle?

This is indeed the old type of degas hose. This basically means that the hose has never been changed for the correct one.

focusslangnieuw10.jpg

Old type of degas hose. This hose is made of a combination of plastic and vulcanised rubber.

focusslangnieuw10-1.jpg

New modified type of degas hose. This hose is made of rubber.

You should also check the coolant reservoir for discoloration and/or microcracks (also at the bottom of the reservoir). As a result of the relative high coolant temperatures of the 1.0 and 1.6 ECOboost engines the coolant reservoir can develop microcracks. On the long term this can cause the reservoir to burst. 

* pictures are taken from the Dutch Focusclub.nl/forum. 

Thanks! I ***** knew it hand't been swapped. It's plastic, ***** idiots!

I left my details with them for the branch manager to contact me monday morning. 

i would print off the 2 photos of earlier and later hoses and stick them under the nose of the service manager.

I'm tempted to, how on earth they don't know is beyond me, totally clueless.

that recall has been out for years! how long have you had your car?

ive gone back over posts and see you were concerned about your hose back in 2015, and another member misinformed you that you had the later hose when infact you didnt.

Be aware that the recall was only applicable to certain production batches of the degas hose. Because of this the recall was not applicable to all Focus MK3  1.0 ECOboost engines. Very early Focus MK3 cars with the 1.0 ECOboost did have a slightly different/older design degas hose. Despite being similar to the the one that was recalled this older design degas hose was never recalled. 

Being a 2012 model the car of the topicstarter may have the early design degas hose that was never recalled. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, iantt said:

ive gone back over posts and see you were concerned about your hose back in 2015, and another member misinformed you that you had the later hose when infact you didnt.

20 minutes ago, iantt said:

Yeah but even so I would expect the dealer to spot it especially as they requested the car in for the recall. 

17 minutes ago, JW1982 said:

Be aware that the recall was only applicable to certain production batches of the degas hose. Because of this the recall was not applicable to all Focus MK3  1.0 ECOboost engines. Very early Focus MK3 cars with the 1.0 ECOboost did have a slightly different/older design degas hose. Despite being similar to the the one that was recalled this older design degas hose was never recalled. 

Being a 2012 model the car of the topicstarter may have the early design degas hose that was never recalled. 

I would suspect having had the exact issue that the recall was for (cracking) I would suspect it's either been missed or I've been mega unlucky, even so the fact it's well documented should go in my favour and hopefully give me something to help fight my case with the dealer.

First it is important to know whether the recall is or is not applicable to your car.

If the recall is applicable to your car and the Ford dealer did not change the affected degas hose for the new improved design hose you can hold the Ford dealer responsible for the hose and possible consequential damages. 

If the recall is not applicable to your car the Ford dealer can not be held responsible. In this case the Ford dealer basically did nothing wrong. They only could have strongly recommended you to change the hose to avoid future problems. If the recall was not applicable to your car all costs of the repair will be charged to you.

Being a 5 Year old car the warranty has ended long ago. A recall does not change this. 

Hi,

I did get a letter 2 years ago asking me to bring it into the branch for a check which I did and they told me that it didn't require a new hose, now wether they were or not I have no idea. The only saving grace for me is that it split as me partner pulled up so the engine wasn't run for long with zero coolant. I'm praying that worst case I have to pay for a new hose and it hasn't done any damage. It all hinges on whether or not my hose should have been changed.

If you got a letter about the degas hose the recall will be applicable to your car. Only (known) owners that owned an affected vehicle were sent a letter.  If the recall was not applicable you would not have got a letter at all.

Just out of curiousity, does the Ford Etis website show an Outstanding Field service Action for your registration/VIN number? 

I've checked Etis and I believe it cleared after the car was taken in. So I assume my hose should have been changed because I got the letter?

the affected vehicles started from oct 2011. i wonder when the ecoboost started being sold ? cant have been many before then that had older plastic version that didnt need doing.

you can check if you have outstanding recall by putting your
reg in to ford etis.

I just checked Etis and it gives me only a VIN option. Can you direct me to the correct part of the site? Cheers for the help guys.

pm me your reg and i can check for you

52 minutes ago, Spikecast said:

I just checked Etis and it gives me only a VIN option. Can you direct me to the correct part of the site? Cheers for the help guys.

Home - Preferences - select United Kingdom - update.

• Like 2

Just checked and no outstanding actions.  Is there a way to show previous actions at all?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club