Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If you could start over again.....

Albert27

Just wondered, if in hindsight we could all re live our focus years, what engine would you go for and why?

Currently got the 1.6tdci but am thinking of a second car for the Mrs....which engine is most reliable with fewest faults?  Petrol or Diesel.

The turbo and DPF problems seem a bit off putting to run a second 1.6tdci.

If I could do it all over again with what I know now definitely an ST

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Given my rather low (excessively low by comparison to everyone else) mileage,  I think it would've been better to go for one of the 2 litre petrol estates I looked at: rather than the 1.8 diesel, I actually bought.

An ST estate would be a better choice, an ST estate that was an ex-police/mod K9 car even better

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ken.K said:

If I could do it all over again with what I know now definitely an ST

Me too, though I wouldn't be able to afford to run an ST, but my 1.8 petrol isn't much better, on saying that I love the way my car looks 😁

I think everybody if they had the funds to run one would go for an ST me included, though I'm happy with my 1.8

Me too, though I wouldn't be able to afford to run an ST, but my 1.8 petrol isn't much better, on saying that I love the way my car looks [emoji16]

True that.knowing what I know now I would definitely get a 6spd petrol in titanium spec.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Albert27 said:

Just wondered, if in hindsight we could all re live our focus years, what engine would you go for and why?

Currently got the 1.6tdci but am thinking of a second car for the Mrs....which engine is most reliable with fewest faults?  Petrol or Diesel.

The turbo and DPF problems seem a bit off putting to run a second 1.6tdci.

If I were to start over id have got a better spec'd car, ive done so many mods to mine and spent an amount of money on it id rather not know, that I suspect it would have been cheaper (and less hassle) to have just got the better spec to start with.  as for the engine, my 1.6tdci is absolutely fine,  but id rather more ponies so I might have gone with the 1.8 or 2l tdci.  as much as id like to say an ST or whatever, the fact is the number of miles ive driven in this car, an ST would have cost me a shed load more in running costs so a diesel would have been my preferred choice, but it would definitely have the zetec S body kit, Xenon lamps, Cruise control, auto lamps and wipers , rear discs brakes (if they came with them in the uk?) and reverse parking sensors.  

My Next car wont skimp on the features I want, ill be a lot more picky and look at more then just the state of the car and its engine, even if that means traveling 400 miles to go get it.

• Like 2

Probably I will get barred for posting this but if I could re live my years it would be 1970 with my Austin 1800 'Land Crab'

57 minutes ago, Devonboy said:

Probably I will get barred for posting this but if I could re live my years it would be 1970 with my Austin 1800 'Land Crab'

YOUR BARRED, GET OUT OF HERE 😁

5 hours ago, Dee_82 said:

If I were to start over id have got a better spec'd car, ive done so many mods to mine and spent an amount of money on it id rather not know, that I suspect it would have been cheaper (and less hassle) to have just got the better spec to start with.  as for the engine, my 1.6tdci is absolutely fine,  but id rather more ponies so I might have gone with the 1.8 or 2l tdci.  as much as id like to say an ST or whatever, the fact is the number of miles ive driven in this car, an ST would have cost me a shed load more in running costs so a diesel would have been my preferred choice, but it would definitely have the zetec S body kit, Xenon lamps, Cruise control, auto lamps and wipers , rear discs brakes (if they came with them in the uk?) and reverse parking sensors.  

My Next car wont skimp on the features I want, ill be a lot more picky and look at more then just the state of the car and its engine, even if that means traveling 400 miles to go get it.

Everyone likes a bargain even if you have a 400 mile journey ahead of you,however unless the car is from a national dealership it could be a problem.If the recent purchase doesn't behave itself you might find yourself having to embark on a few more undesired trips to sort the issue out.From personal experience I try to buy as local as possible now overlooking those tempting offers a distance away.

the 100 bhp 1.6 petrol is basic but the most reliable focus engine by a country mile

no turbo , no pdf , no vvt system , no history of injector problems , very few engine management gremlins ,and diy servicing is a piece of cake

in fact if you can live with the lower fuel economy & power output then theres little to go wrong with it.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, williamweb said:

Everyone likes a bargain even if you have a 400 mile journey ahead of you,however unless the car is from a national dealership it could be a problem.If the recent purchase doesn't behave itself you might find yourself having to embark on a few more undesired trips to sort the issue out.From personal experience I try to buy as local as possible now overlooking those tempting offers a distance away.

that's a fair point but I tend to go for national dealerships anyway,  its always nice to know there  is someone nearby who you can moan at regardless of where your at.  I got my car out of necessity this time, shes been a solid car but there are several things I had to overlook in the interest of getting something quick to replace my old POS.   a few years later and I'm now feeling the hurt, the reskinned NSF door is slowly turning back to its component parts all along the edges as is the OS wing.   needs must at the time but never again, the next one will be what I want, with the things I want in the state I want.  )  course this car might well last for another 200k miles if well looked after so I think it will be a while before  I get anything new, ill maybe pick up a door an wing from a scrappy if I can find a good one :) 

18 minutes ago, biff55 said:

the 100 bhp 1.6 petrol is basic but the most reliable focus engine by a country mile

no turbo , no pdf , no vvt system , no history of injector problems , very few engine management gremlins ,and diy servicing is a piece of cake

in fact if you can live with the lower fuel economy & power output then theres little to go wrong with it.

not sure about that, the 1.8 tdci possible has the most reliable engine in the history of engines, inefficient yes, but a bomber engine with the simplicity a lot of engines could do with observing.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dee_82 said:

that's a fair point but I tend to go for national dealerships anyway,  its always nice to know there  is someone nearby who you can moan at regardless of where your at.  I got my car out of necessity this time, shes been a solid car but there are several things I had to overlook in the interest of getting something quick to replace my old POS.   a few years later and I'm now feeling the hurt, the reskinned NSF door is slowly turning back to its component parts all along the edges as is the OS wing.   needs must at the time but never again, the next one will be what I want, with the things I want in the state I want.  )  course this car might well last for another 200k miles if well looked after so I think it will be a while before  I get anything new, ill maybe pick up a door an wing from a scrappy if I can find a good one :) 

not sure about that, the 1.8 tdci possible has the most reliable engine in the history of engines, inefficient yes, but a bomber engine with the simplicity a lot of engines could do with observing.  

I'm with you I love my Mk1 a little rough around the edges and prefer to spend my money on the way it drives rather than performance.Owned it now for 8 years and sometimes hanker for a change,a nice ST or RS would hit the spot lol,but then my sensible head fights and wins.

I'd get a Zetec S with the same engine because I always wanted the bodykit but they don't seem to do my cars colour (Midnight Sky) and I'm not sure about spray painting costs (Quietly asking for advice :whistling1:)

12 hours ago, Ken.K said:

True that.knowing what I know now I would definitely get a 6spd petrol in titanium spec.

Yep me too

I love my 1.6 zetec but wish I had the titanium goodies and a 6th gear would help a lot.

3 hours ago, biff55 said:

I have to say the lack of turbo & dpf is mind calming and could inspire me to go for the 1.6 standard engine.  Also I want to keep learning more with fxing cars so having a car i'm reasonably already familiar with is a big plus.

I'd love a mk 2.5 ST (the best looking ST in my opinion) but like someone said above it's head over heart; too expensive to run.  

Yep me too
 I love my 1.6 zetec but wish I had the titanium goodies and a 6th gear would help a lot.

Yep cruise control. And even DAB

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club