Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford focus tdci 07

kimmyb74

Had a car service ford focus tdci hatchback zetec climate 07 plate  fuel filter change and wouldn't start so had to by a primer I'm not sure do they have an electronic  fuel pump or have they got to prime it if so what specific ways of doing this as I had a primer fitted and car 2 times struggled to start 2 time it cut off but struggled.to start then started as soon as I put my foot on the eccelarator

28 minutes ago, kimmyb74 said:

fuel filter change and wouldn't start so had to by a primer I'm not sure do they have an electronic  fuel pump or have they got to prime it if so what specific ways of doing this as I had a primer fitted and car 2 times struggled to start 2 time it cut off but struggled.to start then started as soon as I put my foot on the eccelarator

It is crazy wacko.png that Ford did not fit either a tank pump or a permanent primer system to their diesels. It makes them a pig to get started after a filter change, or any attempt to drain or vent the filter chamber. The Transit usually does have a primer.

You need a primer bulb or pump, fitted in the inlet (tank) side of the filter. First use it to get as much air out of the system as possible, via the vent valve if fitted (1.8s have a vent, 1.6s may not), and by removing the filter outlet connector. Cleanliness is vital, the tiniest bit of dirt getting into the pipe leading to the main pump could be very expensive!.

Then reconnect the filter outlet pipe, and pump the primer to pressurise the system, about as hard as you can. Then try starting, and if it fails after a couple of normal cranking attempts, pressurise it again with the primer, and repeat. Avoid long cranking times, it will wreck the starter motor, and probably the battery too.

The next problem is to remove the primer without air getting in. I have a good non-return valve permanently installed in the line to the filter, it stops fuel draining back to the tank when removing the primer.

If you continue to get starting problems after this, it is very likely there is an air leak into the fuel system. The filter cannister lid (on the 1.8) is the most likely leak area.

One other note: Never touch any of the metal high pressure pipework. This side of the system is very good at self-priming, it has return pipes that can vent air at all critical points. All the problems will be due to air on the low pressure side, getting in to the pump.

Need to know what pipe is what eeekkkk what sort of primer pump or so on thank you 

18 hours ago, kimmyb74 said:

what sort of primer pump or so on thank you 

I used a Laser priming bulb off eBay, but it was pretty rubbish. The non-return valves in it were almost useless. By pumping manically, it would probably be ok to start a siphon, but no good to pump diesel into an engine with some pressure.

But the non-return valve I used was really good, and two of these with any cheap priming bulb would work ok.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Non-Return-Valve-Fuel-Washer-Jet-Water-Pipe-5-6-8-10-12mm-For-All-Ford-/291512397207

I think it was the 8mm version of that.

There are photos of the valve being fitted, and being used, in:

In the photo, the filter has its inlet pipe disconnected, and the vent port open. You can see fuel right at the top of the vent port. The inlet pipe is the one on the top, the outlet to the main pump is from the side just below. The primer is connected in between the connector on the end of the inlet pipe, and the inlet port on the filter. 

However, it sounds like you have got the car started, and are still having problems. That suggests air is still getting in to the system. The seal washer under the top of the filter housing is a prime suspect here. If the system is fully sealed, then after starting and maybe a bit of rough running as it gets rid of any remaining air, there should be no more problems.

A non-return valve will cure small and hard to fix air leaks, however. More on fitting the non-return valve is here:

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club