Do Not Sell My Personal Information

sudden deceleration

coltmanneil

I have a 2014 focus zetec s TDC and have had 3 sudden failures.Basically when your driving mainly when i ve been in traffic driving slowly and the engine warning comes up saying "engine service",and when you put your foot on the accelerator the car basically wont build up any revs.

Basically turn the engine off and back on and everythings ok.

I have turned the auto stop/start off but it still happened.

If i take it to my local dealer is there any history in the management history where the error will be saved.

Has anyone seen this error before.

• Like 1

Had the same issue, fixed it by replacing the fuel filter (same car as you) assuming yours is a diesel

it is likely there will be an error code recorded.

everyone should have a code reader, you never know when you might need it.

wifi, bluetooth or usb. they don't cost much.

i bought one from here a few days ago.  Price included UK postage. Arrived quickly.

https://tunnelrat-electronics.fwscart.com/

I got USB Modified ELM327

Dealer will probably charge you more to check code than the cost of one of these code readers

This eBay seller    steve.elmer      is the same person I believe

• Like 1

Yes its diesel thanks.Think its been 9 months since its service so hopefully it will just be a filter,Weird why it only happens when the car is going slow(crawling in traffic).

I ll look at a reader as well.

Thanks

NeilC

7 hours ago, coltmanneil said:

Yes its diesel thanks.Think its been 9 months since its service so hopefully it will just be a filter,Weird why it only happens when the car is going slow(crawling in traffic).

I ll look at a reader as well.

Thanks

NeilC

Sadly they don't change the fuel filter in a service unless you pay extra for them to do it. I highly recommend a ELM cable too got one my self and it's brilliant

Ive been told this is called "limp mode" when the car drives slow.

I am investigating in getting a cable.I know this might be a daft question where do you plug it in.???I am a marine elecky so savy with wires but sadly not car elecks.

Neilc

• Like 1

This is a very reasonable question, I did not know, till the rac man used it. But it should not be too difficult. 

i do not know exactly on your car where you plug it in but it is usually down low on the dashboard on the drivers side. On my 2015 fiesta there is a cubby hole for coins etc near my right knee, the socket is in the back of that cubby hole.  it looks a bit like a scart socket that videos and older DVD players used. sometimes the plug kind of goes up into it on some cars which means you won't see it unless you get your head down low in the footwell area.  On the fiesta I believe the service schedule includes the fuel filter each 37.5k miles, don't know about yours.

Thanks for that Ive found the scart connection behind the pull down coin box.

I ll invest in a cable as they are relatively cheap to buy.

Thanks again.

ive been changing my 1.6 TDCI fuel filter every 12k, it seems that the longer you leave it after that point, the more likely you will run in to issues, I did have a fuel pressure sensor problem 6 months ago that resulted in engine cut outs that was flagged with high and  low fuel pressure DTCs

get one of these...

http://www.spanglefish.com/TunnelratElectronics/

, its well worth getting, I highly recommend the ones above, I have 3 of them now, 2 USB (gave one to a mate) and a bluetooth, all have been flawless and have helped narrow down a number of issues over the years.  

Id stay clear of Chinese knock offs, yes they may be cheap but I have a wifi one which temporally broke the car, threw up engine malfunction errors and all sorts, car refused to start, took the cheap wifi device out and all was well in the world .  Ill never recommend a cheap fleebay ELM327 again  

• Like 1

Hi ,where do i get the software from .I have the cable and it connected to the cars connection using my laptop no bother but i need the program.Advice appreciated thanks.

Neil

5 hours ago, coltmanneil said:

Hi ,where do i get the software from .I have the cable and it connected to the cars connection using my laptop no bother but i need the program.Advice appreciated thanks.

Neil

Focccus software http://ford.xtlt.ru/FoCCCus/FoCCCus_0.8.6.zip

Forscan software: http://forscan.org/download.html (Choose the one relevant to you)

This is the latest software as far as I know if you want a older version take a look here http://ford.xtlt.ru/FoCCCus/

• Like 1

Thanks for that,I was successful in connecting and getting P0087 faults so we are back to the fuel system again.Its pretty intermittent.Think the fuel filter will be changed first.After that it could be a sensor failing at times.Thats not easy to spot unless it fails permanently.

NeilC

30 minutes ago, coltmanneil said:

Thanks for that,I was successful in connecting and getting P0087 faults so we are back to the fuel system again.Its pretty intermittent.Think the fuel filter will be changed first.After that it could be a sensor failing at times.Thats not easy to spot unless it fails permanently.

NeilC

Same error code I got, new fuel filter will most definitely sort it did for me

it's the same code as I also had which was fixed by replacing the fuel filter (fiesta 1.6tdci). like you, this was my first use of a code reader.  filter had been on for there for about 115k miles from new.  it has now done about 40k after replacing the filter and had no problems since (now owned by my brother). 

I must have been lucky going that many miles on original filter without a problem.   I did not change it sooner because I know it can be a real problem getting the air out of the fuel system when renewing the filter, and it was a real problem for me.

as you say, filter first, then possibly the sensor, apparently its a weak point in the system, Ford will tell you that you need to replace the whole fuel rail, that's nonsense, you can swap out the sensor.  

Cheers all I ll let you know how we get on ok.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club