Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Braking problem

laberge86

I wo der if anyone can help me.

When i brake, its fine. But then it goes hard, and feels like I have no brakes at all. When I push down on the pedal, i'm pushing down hard and still feels the same. I've bled them in case there's air in the system, but its still the same. What can the problem be?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

It sounds like your servo assist isn't working and so any braking effort is entirely down to how much you can push. Likely cause could be lack of vacuum or a failed servo.

We've gone out and loomed and we can hear a hiss when you press the pedal down. I really hope its not a failed servo :-(

Was the engine off when you heard the hissing?

it was never going to be down to air in the fluid as that makes it softer not harder. I agree it sounds like servo not working. servo is linked to engine with a vaccuum hose. might be leak somewhere like at hose connection or split in hose, eg. where it's been rubbing on something.

is the car petrol or diesel? what engine size ?    I think my 1.5tdci has a  vaccuum pump on the end of cylinder head (passenger side end of the engine).

I might be wrong but I think the diesels have a vaccum pump and petrol do not (someone else might be able to clarify)

(I assume that when you say it goes hard, it is not going all the way down)

A friend of mine crashed his diesel car into the back of someone when his did this (it was not a Ford) and his car was a writeoff.  he said the brake pedal went hard and he could not push it down as much as it usually goes down - I told him it sounded like the servo not working , the garage where the car went said they could not find any fault, but as the car was a writeoff I don't know how hard they tried. I think he had simply told them the brakes stopped working and did not describe it in the way he told me (I had quizzed him on exactly what he meant)

Was the engine off when you heard the hissing?

Yeah it was off

it was never going to be down to air in the fluid as that makes it softer not harder. I agree it sounds like servo not working. servo is linked to engine with a vaccuum hose. might be leak somewhere like at hose connection or split in hose, eg. where it's been rubbing on something.
is the car petrol or diesel? what engine size ?    I think my 1.5tdci has a  vaccuum pump on the end of cylinder head (passenger side end of the engine).
I might be wrong but I think the diesels have a vaccum pump and petrol do not (someone else might be able to clarify)
(I assume that when you say it goes hard, it is not going all the way down)
A friend of mine crashed his diesel car into the back of someone when his did this (it was not a Ford) and his car was a writeoff.  he said the brake pedal went hard and he could not push it down as much as it usually goes down - I told him it sounded like the servo not working , the garage where the car went said they could not find any fault, but as the car was a writeoff I don't know how hard they tried. I think he had simply told them the brakes stopped working and did not describe it in the way he told me (I had quizzed him on exactly what he meant)

I have a diesel 1.8 tdci. I hoping its just the hose that needs replacing and not the servo

I thought it was normal to hiss whilst off as you are pumping air into it does it do it whilst on?

I thought it was normal to hiss whilst off as you are pumping air into it does it do it whilst on?

Not sure, but I had a guy come out and have a look and its the servo thats gone. So need a new one now

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club