Do Not Sell My Personal Information

16" alloys to 17" - Advice

lew_man

Hi, wondering if get some advice please. Got some 17"'s to go on my 1.0 which currently has 16's, but not really sure which tyre's to have on - genuinely wanna get overall tyre, good for winter as well. I wanna get the car lowered eventually, but worried about hitting arches. Also someone said about the speedo rolling difference? 

I upgraded from 15's. Not any difference in speedo. I've also been recommended steering rack limiters (wider wheel compared to 16's and 15's) but I've not had issues without them so far, might get some. Only cost a tenner or so and take 30 seconds to fit.

I've got Uniroyal Rainsport 3 on mine now. Cost about £70 a corner, looks mean too. Lot's of people recommended them

• Like 1

I've fallen in love with the Pilot sport 3s, and having driven a friends car with the PS4s I actually prefer the older 3s

Such a difference over the rubbish the dealership fitted before I collected 

• Like 1

Pilot sport 3's are fantastic but don't come cheap anymore unfortunately, they could certainly be used all year round. Problem is with tyres - the more grip, the faster they wear. So you need to decide how much you're willing to spend etc.

You will need a steering rack limiter if you put 17" on unless they are super skinny. Speedo shouldn't be an issue as they read high from the factory.

• Like 1

I got them at a reasonable price on sale so I can't complain :p 

Also, I'm always telling people that they need the limiter and they say they've not had any problems without. My car has 17s from the factory so has a limiter but surely ford wouldn't just fit it for no reason?  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, GingerFlame said:

My car has 17s from the factory so has a limiter but surely ford wouldn't just fit it for no reason?  

Possibly so when there is quite a bit of weight in the car (so sits lower) you don't get clearance issues? 

• Like 1

"good for winter as well"

Last year I wasn't able to find any of the right size (205/40/17) that were all season or winter, except the usual budget ditchfinders like Sunny. 

I went with a set of 14's for winter with conti winters.  Higher profile and narrower is supposedly good for snow, but we didn't get any.  Perhaps I'll find out next year :) 

Hi all, took me alloys for refurb today, and got Pirelli P Zero Nero's being fitted on them. do i need this steering rack limiters as a def? the car is going to be lowered poss 30 / 35 in few weeks as well

If you're lowering it by that much I would. As I said, Ford probably fit them for when there is a bit of weight in the car, so it sits lower, essentially the same circumstance as you.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

If you're lowering it by that much I would. As I said, Ford probably fit them for when there is a bit of weight in the car, so it sits lower, essentially the same circumstance as you.

can't seem find them though via google, anyone point me in right direction please? 15 plate 1.0

I have mitchelin cross climates on mine and I can feel the difference in grip compared to the Bridgestones that came off. They are still not available in all sizes though. I've heard really good things about the GoodYear Vector 4Seasons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lew_man said:

can't seem find them though via google, anyone point me in right direction please? 15 plate 1.0

Go to your local Ford dealer and use my reg so they can find the part on their system, it's FY14 UCV. Steering rack limiter 

I use my car as a glorified van so I'm quite thankful I have the limiters.. Albeit it's Treated alot better than vans and kept cleaner :p. Not a mark on it.. Yet.

• Like 1

I'll have a look on microcat tomorrow to see if I can find a part number. I found these, which look the right thing though, but never used the website before so couldn't tell you how accurate the information is or if they're trustworthy enough to put your bank details into.

https://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/ford_fiesta_steering_rack_limiter_kit_f_1573895_c_416.htm

• Like 2

fordpartsuk are legit and extremely trustworthy. and often cheaper than dealers :) 

I've shopped with them before and so have a lot of members :)

• Like 2

well passed my test yesterday so just got onto fordpartsuk and ordered some, thanks for advice everyone

• Like 2

I'd go for 15's every time if you like your teeth/heart bypass pipes to stay on, and dislike tramping across the road on high speed corners.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club