Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Roof boxes, talk to me !

stants

Having downsized from an estate to the focus it's becoming obvious that I need more space, gone camping this week and had to leave some bits behind after not managing to squeeze it all in the boot, so what boxes do you have or recommend as there's about a million types to choose from ?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hi

I dont have a roof box BUT

Take a look at the ford accessories site for some inspiration

http://www.ford-accessories.co.uk/focus/2014/transportation/roof-transportation?intcmp=other:acc:pdp:prod-list-view::select-product-group

That way you can get an understanding of what you can fit to your car, 

Hope this helps somewhat

Jamie

It's not just the roof box that you need to consider but also the roof rails that attach the box to your car do you go for fords or Halfords?

Hi, I have thule roof bars and roof box for my Focus. They are good quality and easy to fit. Ford roof bars are thule but rebranded. The type of roof box all depends on what you want to put in it and your budget.

Remember also that you can only load the roof rails to 75kg this will include the roof box and when you get near that 75kg limit you will notice a change in the way the car handles especially at speed on a motorway with a cross wind 

sounds like you shoulda kept the estate..........

;-)

Thanks for the input people,

Haha i wish I could have kept the forester but 3k for an engine rebuild wouldn't have gone down well with the misses, and the focus was a steal,
I've had a look at various sites and what not, ford want nearly 500 quid for a set of bars and box, I've noticed that you can pretty much attach any box to any brand of bars, so I had a search on the bay earlier, I may just go for a set of bars, prob ally and and a basket/waterproof bag or a narrowish box then can stick our equipment next to box, that way the rear seat won't have to go flat

It's not a problem really just need a hand to put the box onto roof bars they do come in handy 

what model year Focus have you got 

On ‎19‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 2:39 PM, stants said:

Having downsized from an estate to the focus it's becoming obvious that I need more space, gone camping this week and had to leave some bits behind after not managing to squeeze it all in the boot, so what boxes do you have or recommend as there's about a million types to choose from ?

I use a Hapro Traxer 6.6.  It's a great box and good value compared to thule etc.  Think I paid £250.

https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/all-products/hapro_traxer_6_6_roof_box_anthracite_black_no_25908/Qx%40w%2C6M4PHS%2CZGenkQvEN{Vo6R

Looks good, central locking, opens from either side and easy to fit. It's got around 400l capacity but I can lift it on the myself.

The roofbox company offer a wide range and is a good place to start

Thanks@avi I shall look into that, @tangodaz it's a my09 hatch so mk2.5 ?

• Like 1

Hi Adam I will take a couple of photos to show you what you need to do to the roof area of you car to fit the factory roof bars as it's a bit involved as you need to dig out some sealer to expose the fixings for the roof bars. My tip would be to get some touch up paint just in case you expose and metal on the roof wham carrying out the process 

• Like 1

🖒 thank you

On ‎20‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 6:19 PM, stants said:

Thanks for the input people,

Haha i wish I could have kept the forester but 3k for an engine rebuild wouldn't have gone down well with the misses, and the focus was a steal,
I've had a look at various sites and what not, ford want nearly 500 quid for a set of bars and box, I've noticed that you can pretty much attach any box to any brand of bars, so I had a search on the bay earlier, I may just go for a set of bars, prob ally and and a basket/waterproof bag or a narrowish box then can stick our equipment next to box, that way the rear seat won't have to go flat

I'd stick with the Ford bars on a Mk3 or newer Focus.  These can be had for around £125 from an official Ford dealer via eBay. There are reports of bars causing roof rail damage i.e. scratches or dents so follow mounting instruction closely.

I use the Traxer box  for camping and it doubles the boot space easy. I keep heavy and wide stuff in the boot and the rest in the box and don't even know it's on as there's little noise. The size of the box is ideal because I can also carry my bike on the bars as well.

• Like 1

Cheers,

I saw them on the bay and will get some bought when I get paid, least then I know it's going to be a good fit and won't have problems @Guzzilazz did you go for a ford approved box or not?

2 hours ago, stants said:

Cheers,

I saw them on the bay and will get some bought when I get paid, least then I know it's going to be a good fit and won't have problems @Guzzilazz did you go for a ford approved box or not?

No box, just the bars for me...

18 hours ago, stants said:

Cheers,

I'm not sure what a Ford 'Approved' box is. AFAIK Ford just re sells thule brand boxes at a premium.

thule is the largest box produce worldwide so it's an "easy" sell for Ford.  Other brands to look at that do great products are Kamei, Hapro and Inno. These are less well knows brands in the UK but I'm told Hapro is a top 3 global box producer for example.  thule also make boxes for other people and I was told by a member of staff at Halford that its own brand box was made by Thule but I don't know if this is true.

There are loads of options so it's best to work out what shape box you need i.e. storing it can be a consideration for as well as what you want to put in it or what else you want to put in the roof. Also what other features you need such as loading from either side, how easy the box is to lock/open, colour  and how easy it is to fit/remove. It's also worth checking what safety standards the box meets and what warranty is provided  in case the worst happens.

• Like 1