Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Mk 3.5 front speakers.

Jollyandy

Hi, I changed the front Speakers in the Focus this morning, and I can thoroughly recommend doing it. The standard Speakers were, in short, dreadful; they spoiled what was otherwise a great car. What Ford were thinking about when they started using paper-coned ones, I can't understand. The difference is astounding. Sorry for no pics or guide, but I'm sure it's been covered before. These are the ones I used:

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-2002-2014-MTX-16cm-6-5-Inch-480-Watts-2-Way-Rear-Door-Car-Speakers-/262263597467?_trkparms=aid%253D222007%2526algo%253DSIC.MBE%2526ao%253D1%2526asc%253D20150519202351%2526meid%253Da27b7d79a57845bfa2be8dd301142164%2526pid%253D100408%2526rk%253D8%2526rkt%253D25%2526sd%253D262189708152&_trksid=p2056116.c100408.m2460

Yes, I know the kit is for the rear doors, but it's the same kit and £5 cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I can agree to the dif wi quality. Ive had the fronts on my mk2.5 changed this wk and its a night & day difference even with the stock headunit.

What did u change to? 

• Like 1

I can agree to the dif wi quality. Ive had the fronts on my mk2.5 changed this wk and its a night & day difference even with the stock headunit.
What did u change to? 

Hi mate, check the link.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jollyandy said:

Hi, I changed the front speakers in the Focus this morning, and I can thoroughly recommend doing it. The standard speakers were, in short, dreadful; they spoiled what was otherwise a great car. What Ford were thinking about when they started using paper-coned ones, I can't understand. The difference is astounding. Sorry for no pics or guide, but I'm sure it's been covered before. These are the ones I used:

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-2002-2014-MTX-16cm-6-5-Inch-480-Watts-2-Way-Rear-Door-Car-Speakers-/262263597467?_trkparms=aid%253D222007%2526algo%253DSIC.MBE%2526ao%253D1%2526asc%253D20150519202351%2526meid%253Da27b7d79a57845bfa2be8dd301142164%2526pid%253D100408%2526rk%253D8%2526rkt%253D25%2526sd%253D262189708152&_trksid=p2056116.c100408.m2460

Yes, I know the kit is for the rear doors, but it's the same kit and £5 cheaper.

From experiance with living with Ford cars since the 1980's Ford has used a paper mix cone, its nothing new, and tbh theres nothing wrong with paper cones, 

That is why they offer an upgrade either as an accessory at the dealer or a factory fitted option ie upgraded system for example like mine i chose the Premium Nav option which included 10 Premium Sony Blue Plastic cone Speakers, i say plastic but im sure they are not just plastic,

Plus, You can fit 1000W Speakers in each corner but they will Likely only be fed with 20Watts Each, Due to the power rating of the *amp installed

If you want to install a seperate amp then that leads you down the Modified Garden path.

And TBH Im impressed by the sound quality from my sound system,

Jamie

• Like 1

From experiance with living with Ford cars since the 1980's Ford has used a paper mix cone, its nothing new, and tbh theres nothing wrong with paper cones, 
That is why they offer an upgrade either as an accessory at the dealer or a factory fitted option ie upgraded system for example like mine i chose the Premium Nav option which included 10 Premium Sony Blue Plastic cone speakers, i say plastic but im sure they are not just plastic,

Plus, You can fit 1000W speakers in each corner but they will Likely only be fed with 20Watts Each, Due to the power rating of the *amp installed
If you want to install a seperate amp then that leads you down the Modified Garden path.
And TBH Im impressed by the sound quality from my sound system,
Jamie

That's what I'm hoping to do. My car was a Ford Direct vehicle, and unfortunately the only option missing was the Premium Sound system. The sound from my old Tit X was much better in standard form, mainly due to the fact the Speakers were polymer rather than paper. Trust me the difference is quite noticeable. Toying with the idea of doing the rears now, though they are really only fitted to supplement the fronts; otherwise known as rear fill.

• Like 1

Be sure to update your headunit software to version 3.10 (sync 2 update) unless you have sync 3.

The sound comes out at the rear much better after the update.

Let me know how you get on with the upgraded Speakers :-)

Jamie

• Like 1

I've already done the software update . If I do decide to amp the system up, I've got an old-school Denon DCA 800 sitting here that I could use.

• Like 2

I agree rears r only for back fill but they can make a dif if upgraded right. Though as ive found out even though it says sony in the headunit it isnt really a sony.. ford have agreement with them for branding but dont confuse it for it bring a premium headunit.. my sony dab in my mk2.5 says sony but its made by ford, and like the Speakers its built to a small budget.. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dave1981 said:

I agree rears r only for back fill but they can make a dif if upgraded right. Though as ive found out even though it says sony in the headunit it isnt really a sony.. ford have agreement with them for branding but dont confuse it for it bring a premium headunit.. my sony dab in my mk2.5 says sony but its made by ford, and like the speakers its built to a small budget.. 

It will say ford because it will have a ford part number. but the amp etc inside the unit etc etc is made by sony, Ford are now switching to Bang & Olufson

I notice the sound improvement Immiediatly over a ford standard unit. 

Ford were using Visteon-Sony

• Like 1

Im only going on what i was told by an independent audio technician.. not just ford though. Audi have some cars with Bose sound systems fitted.. only a Bose in the labeling of it. 

Not saying sony didnt have any input in its design but its not the same standard you'd find in a top of the range sony hifi system you'd buy for your house is my point. Built to a budget like the stock Speakers regardless if its the premium system or high end system. 

Just to point out MTX are good quality Speakers, but they're coaxial and my focus already has seperate tweeters. Maybe thats why you think your hearing such better sound. Essentially your adding 2 Speakers. And your right about paper cones.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just to point out MTX are good quality speakers, but they're coaxial and my focus already has seperate tweeters. Maybe thats why you think your hearing such better sound. Essentially your adding 2 speakers. And your right about paper cones.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Ea

I don't think I'm hearing better sound, I know it's better, the bass response is tighter and there's no vibration.

• Like 1

Did u fit any sound deadening when you did ur Speakers? I had it fitted to my mk2.5 and you can hear the dif when you knock on the door skins on the outside of the car which obv helps with sound quality inside.

Im having coaxials fitted in the rear next, same make though. Since its only for back fill dont see point in fitting components there.

• Like 1

Did u fit any sound deadening when you did ur speakers? I had it fitted to my mk2.5 and you can hear the dif when you knock on the door skins on the outside of the car which obv helps with sound quality inside.
Im having coaxials fitted in the rear next, same make though. Since its only for back fill dont see point in fitting components there.

No I didn't, simply because I wanted to compare the difference between the two sets of Speakers. If I decide to amp them up, that maybe a job for the future.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/20/2017 at 4:07 PM, Jollyandy said:

Hi, I changed the front speakers in the Focus this morning, and I can thoroughly recommend doing it. The standard speakers were, in short, dreadful; they spoiled what was otherwise a great car. What Ford were thinking about when they started using paper-coned ones, I can't understand. The difference is astounding. Sorry for no pics or guide, but I'm sure it's been covered before. These are the ones I used:

We want a guide, we want a guide! :tongue::laugh:

On 5/20/2017 at 6:38 PM, Jollyandy said:

I've already done the software update . If I do decide to amp the system up, I've got an old-school Denon DCA 800 sitting here that I could use.

How do you do the latest software update? :huh:

On 2017-05-20 at 7:35 PM, james_60 said:

Be sure to update your headunit software to version 3.10 (sync 2 update) unless you have sync 3.

The sound comes out at the rear much better after the update.

Jamie

Ok, thats good, Just what I found out too, A little more from the rear, Could have been a little more but better than with 3,08

I've got the premium sound system in my car with Sony Speakers. Sounds great compared with previous cars.

However, I do have issues since a software update on the head unit where I lose the sub and centre speaker. Hopefully a new head unit this week will solve it!