Do Not Sell My Personal Information

'05 MK2 1.6 TDCi loss of power and black smoke

Ibrahim1580

Hi,

It's been 3 years now since i own my focus. It's been running very good and all but 2 months ago i noticed that the performance of my car wasn't how it used to be.

I first noticed it in Germany at the autobahn, normally my car can reach 200 kph (124 mph) but this time my car couldn't reach the top speed but it was limited to 160 kph (99 mph).

When the highway goes uphill, my car is having trouble keeping up with the current speed, the speed drastically reduces and the gas pedal is just unresponsive until the highway goes down or straigthens.

Here is an example: I drive 120 kph (74 mph) suddenly the highway goes uphill and my car is slowing down to 80 kph (49 mph). no response from the gas pedal.

Here is another example: Past Saturday i drove on the stelvio pass (Italy), extremely tight turns, i knew this would be a hell with this car, because of the loss of power. So i went there since i was close by, believe it or not, my car couldn't handle those constant hills, i only drove my car on the first gear, when i shift gears to 2, it stays on the same speed when i shifted, the speed even slowly reduces. There was no other way but to let my car scream on the first gear.

I recently let my fuel filter change but surprisingly there was no change, since i don't know really anything about cars, i don't know where the problem might be.

I also noticed that, when i enter the highway and speed up, i get an error message on the dashboard, but it quickly disappears. I think it says "engine failure" but whenever i notice that error message popping up it just disappears, it was three words, don't know the third one.

I also tried to connect an mini obd2 car diagnostic scanner but my dashboard went crazy, it was just turning on and off on the middle of the road, so i just plugged it back out.

There is also this black smoke thing that kinda bugged me out. I don't know how to explain this, but i will try my best. It get worse when i start the engine. When i drive off and speed up, the car just instantly reduces speed (i guess it's called stalling), pedal goes unresponsive, and there is this huge black smoke blow out of my exhaust, all of this is happening in 1.5 seconds. This keeps happening 3 or 5 times when i start the engine. It then stops. After driving a while, i stopped seeing black smoke, from my rear view mirror, there might be a little bit of black smoke shifting up and down, speeding up and so on. At night, when a car drives behind my i can clearly see the smoke. Recently my sister got into an accident and my front bumper and back bumper + the headlights and tailights were damaged, this cost me 1500 euro, replacing the damages part and some respraying. I might wait a while before i do a full check on my car on the official ford service. For now i will change the part one by one, if the problem might persist on that particular part.

Might not be long tho, before i make a appointment, because i really want my car back on full performance.

I hope you guys understand the problem i'm having, my english isn't that good, you guys might have noticed that ;)

Thanks in advance!