Do Not Sell My Personal Information

LED Lighting Upgrade

pash43uk

Has anyone changed their standard (hopeless) daytime running lights for LED. Mine are Osram H15 15/55w but not sure what led equivalent to go for as some might affect the bulb failure system ? 

20170520_125738.jpg

Following- can't believe how yellow the DRLs are

I looked into this a while back for my mkV mondeo. There are a few LED options but none 'tried and tested' so I left it [emoji53] I did see a Halogen bulb that had good reviews but can't find it again now [emoji853]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://autobeam.co.uk/collections/mondeo-mk5-0-2014-2016/products/led-h15-drl-full-beam-unit

I saw the above bulbs and thought they might be an option for some. The reason I say some is because the DRL will be a decent colour and look like a DRL should, the trade off is that the main beam will not add much if any extra light over and above the dipped beam. So it would suit people who do no night driving on unlit roads. I ruled them out for that reason, and the price!

Expensive. The others I linked to above are cheaper and claim to give more light, though are also predominantly DRLs. Not sure about the CANBUS issue though. We need a wealthy guinea pig to buy, try and report back 😃

• Like 1

Expensive. The others I linked to above are cheaper and claim to give more light, though are also predominantly DRLs. Not sure about the CANBUS issue though. We need a wealthy guinea pig to buy, try and report back [emoji2]

I don't know how much I would believe the claim of a better light output, 50W is not enough. I had 80W CREE bulbs in my fog lights on my last car, they were useless. I tried them in the dark with just my sidelights and I wasn't impressed. I think if the light output was guaranteed to be better or at least as good as the OEM main beam it would be a chance worth taking. It all seems a bit too much effort, removing the bumper, for a shot in the dark (excuse the pun)

s-l200.jpg.9bcbed718fb9e4d68f1ab811c47eef26.jpgFound these after-market drls on e bay from china, says they fir 2015/16 edge . Any reason they wont ?

Looks like they fit fine. Not sure I would pick them over some LED Bulbs for the headlights though. What do the basic dlr lights look like? 

The drls on ford edge are a £2000 option with the led lighting, basic drls are just a soft light inside headlights.

On 26/05/2017 at 6:43 AM, bluepeter said:

s-l200.jpg.9bcbed718fb9e4d68f1ab811c47eef26.jpgFound these after-market drls on e bay from china, says they fir 2015/16 edge . Any reason they wont ?

These DRLs are what are fitted to the US and Chinese market vehicles. The surrounds around the fog lamps light up rather than any light in the headlamp units. Whilst they would probably fit a U.K. spec car, I'm not sure how you would wire them as there will be no DRL wiring behind the fog lamps. 

You would just splice them into the current dlr cables behind the headlights I imagine. 

• 5 weeks later...

I bought some H15 LED lights off eBay for my Edge Titanium, they are called 'Nighteye', and offer proper LED DRL and high beam, and have little fans on the back of the light to keep the LED chips cool. I managed to fit them fairly easily with a bit of fiddling, and are pretty much a straight swap. I had issues getting them to work at all at first, but eventually got them working. However, they have a mind of their own now, both work at first then after a few miles ones goes out, then it will turn back on. Not sure what's going on and have now put old dim halogens back. I'll probably have another go at some point, as they really do make a difference, very bright white light on both drl and especially high beam. 

Do you have any pics @Edgy ? I would be interested to see the light output on these.

Photos .

1) before

2) after

3) dipped main beam (the DRL's automatically go off)

4) dipped main, and full beam on

Also when the indicators go on, the DRL goes out on which ever side is indicating, then back on after you turn (pretty cool).

They do still operate a bit randomly though, as when I pull up behind someone I can sometimes see only one side on...

IMG_2686.JPG

IMG_2687.JPG

IMG_2688.JPG

IMG_2689.JPG

That looks good! It may be a faulty ballast that's causing the problem. Leaving the bulbs where they are can you swap over the ballasts? If the light still goes out on the original side you know it's the assembly. The DRLs are brighter than I thought and the full beam look to have some scatter. That said I'm still wanting a set!

Not sure if it's the ballasts, it seems to happen on both sides, will see today what happens. I also swapped the main dipped beams to H7 Nightbreaker bulbs, they are pretty good, though I think they can be a bit dazzling to oncoming cars, especially with the projector lenses. 

In the case of not getting any after market LEDs to work correctly has anyone tried these and can offer an opinion?

Osram Cool Blue Intense 64176CBI H15 Halogen-Headlight bulb 12V

They claim to be 20% brighter!

Hi @Jim610 I've had experience with these bulbs and found that they were not as good as sales pitch claims. The light looks quite blue at certain angles and while they may be 'brighter' they don't give out as much useable light on the road. I've now got Phillips bulbs, X-treme Vision which boast 130% improvement and I can certainly notice a big difference. They also give off a a blue tinge.

Why would you think the Nightbreakers are dazzling @Edgy ? They shouldn't be, and in a projector lens they should be fine. I had them in a previous car and while they are pretty good I found the lifespan of the bulb was not great which is why I'm trying the X-treme vision. I'm 18months in and doing fine with them.

The nightbreakers are really good, it's just that sometimes people flash their lights at me. Not that I'm bothered 😉

Jonro

Where have you found Phillips X-treme Vision in H15?  I can only find them in H1, H4 & H7.

• 3 years later...
On 7/1/2017 at 8:35 AM, Jim610 said:

Jonro

Where have you found Phillips X-treme Vision in H15?  I can only find them in H1, H4 & H7.

Im also looking for phillips xtreme vision H15 lights but cant find anywhere. Could i ask where you got yours please ? 

• 8 months later...

I'd just like to offer my 10 pence worth here.

I also have issues with poor halogen projectors and DRL/High beam. I resolved the projector candle lighting with Osram LEDriving 6000k H7 units. I chose these after spending hours and hours trawling the internet for testing and reviews in the US. They are available on amazon.co.uk for £75 a pair and I rate them at 9/10. They are so good and the build quality is fantastic and not a cheap chineseium crap. The improvement is equal to 50w HID and I would highly recommend.

The second but most problematic is the DRL/High beam. H15 is a fairly new format and only a few offer quality lamps at silly high prices. I started with TXVS08 and they are CRAP. Cheap nasty hyped up chineseium. Too bright and hot on DRL with little to no difference on High beam. So poor that when you Flash in daylight, you can't even tell you Flashed. They went back. Next I tried the Osram H15 Cool Blue Intense. Much better DRL, good High beam flash in daytime but useless at night. I then bought a set of OPL5 H15's which were quite good on the face. Brighter than the TXVS but same issues of DRL too bright VS high beam flash and still poor overall high beam at night. I switched back to the Osram.

I then found a pair of Novsight 40w dual chip H15's in the US via a US review site. They cost $65 and a bit of tax and OMG. The best I have seen yet. They have separate DRL led chips and high beam chips. They are all aluminium construction and fan cooled. They fit straight in, no issues. The DRL is lice and bright and flash is ultra bright and high beam is like 50w HID and gives a fab long range cool 6000k white beam. They are excellent and now on amazon uk for £50 a pair. If you want great DRL with superb bright long range High beam, get the Novsight.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NOVSIGHT-Headlight-Conversion-Customized-Warranty/dp/B07PQXPB1P/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=novsight+h15&qid=1618258868&sr=8-3

The pictures to follow will not seem right, but I can assure you the main beam is Osram LEDriving and the DRL/High is Novsight H15. Pics of bulb are Novsight H15.

IMG_2078.JPG

IMG_2077.JPG

DRL/HIGH BEAM ON

IMG_2082.JPG

IMG_2075.JPG

OSRAM LEDRIVING MAIN BEAM

IMG_2081.JPG

• Like 1